View Poll Results: What proposal would you like to see built for Hudson Yards?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brookfield: SOM, Field Operations, Thomas Phifer, SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio & Renfro

64 65.98%
  • Durst / Vornado / Conde Nast: FXFowle and Rafael Pelli

11 11.34%
  • Extell: Steven Holl

8 8.25%
  • Related / Goldman Sachs / NewsCorp: Kohn Pedersen Fox, Arquitectonica and Robert AM Stern

8 8.25%
  • Tishman Speyer / Morgan Stanley: Helmut Jahn

6 6.19%
Page 117 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1906

Thread: Hudson Yards

30 Hudson Yards Tower Will Feature Mysterious 'Thrill Device'

by Jeremiah Budin

The Posts' Lois Weiss reports that 30 Hudson Yards, the Hudson Yards megaproject's second tower and eventual home of Time Warner, will feature a mysterious "thrill device." Related Hudson Yards Jay Cross told attendees at a Young Mens'/Womens' Real Estate luncheon last month that "You can choose to pay for it separately and crap your pants." He has remained tight-lipped ever since, leaving Weiss to speculate that the attraction will be a glass walkway connected to the tower's 1,000-foot-high outdoor observation center, similar to the ones in the Willis Tower and John Hancock Tower in Chicago. The Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed 30 Hudson Yards will rise to 1,337 feet, with the observation deck located on the 75th floor.

That sounds good and all, but we're still hoping for one of those bungee slingshots. Or maybe a zip line between 30 Hudson Yards and 10 Hudson Yards? Come on, Related, you know you want to.

Hudson Yards good to Vertigo [NYP]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...ill_device.php

Commenter, REspectator:

Different renderings have shown it differently:

http://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/u...4/07/30hyb.jpg
    http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/up...dson-cover.jpg
    http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...nYardsKPF1.jpg
    http://ad009cdnb.archdaily.net/wp-co...53119492-1.jpg

Note: The glass box at Willis Tower is pants-crappingly awesome, so I support this strongly. I mean, look at this -

I've stood in one of those boxes myself, and I concur. Looks like Chicago is going to have some competition.

It took me until this summer to finally do it, but those are my legs!

I hope it's supported strongly...

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

About those shoes...

Yeah, I can't compete with some of the other foot photographers on the boards. In my defense, I wanted something comfortable for walking all around Chicago for the day.

Forum Veteran

If you like that you should check out the Grand Canyon Skywalk

That's sick! Having been to the Hoover Dam, it'd be amazing if they added something like this to it.

^^ Yikes!

Related Breaks Ground on First Hudson Yards Condo Tower

by Jeremiah Budin

Construction on the Hudson Yards megaproject began two years ago today, and developer Related Companies marked the occasion by (recently) breaking ground on the project's first residential tower, the Daily News reports. 15 Hudson Yards is the third tower to get underway, following 10 Hudson Yards and 30 Hudson Yards, and will include a mix of 385 condominium and rental units. While it originally featured an interesting corset-inspired design from architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, that was later value engineered into the simple double cylinder that you now see before you (click the image to expand). It will rise 70 stories, or 910 feet, and total 960,000 square feet. The projected completion date is 2018. It will not, unfortunately, feature any pants-crapping "thrill devices," unlike its Hudson Yards brethren.

When the entire megaproject is finished in, oh, about five or six eons from now (the projected completion date for everything is 2024, but, you know), it will include 16 towers and take its place, according to one pretty optimistic Related executive, as "the next Park Avenue."

Real estate giant the Related Companies breaks ground on first residential tower at Hudson Yards [NYDN]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...ondo_tower.php

Given what's going on up on 57th street, they should throw a few 1,500+ footers into Hudson Yards.

The way I see it, as long as a tower stops at 1,775' 11" then the guys down in Lower Manhattan won't complain.

So we will never have a tower passing 1776ft?

^yeah, not good! It seems New York now has it's own silly version of the "gentlemen's agreement" in Philly not to go higher than the William Penn statue.

Technically if it's higher than 1WTC's spire it will top the building's "tallest in the western hemisphere" bravado, defeating the purpose of having the 400ft spire in the first place. From then on, it will only be historic. Of course, that won't stop developers from getting creative. The Chicago Spire would have blown 1WTC out of the water.

1600 feet is actually visually impressive for a residential tower, and the same would go for an office tower as well, considering much of New York's average building heights sit around 800 feet.