View Poll Results: What proposal would you like to see built for Hudson Yards?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brookfield: SOM, Field Operations, Thomas Phifer, SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio & Renfro

64 65.98%
  • Durst / Vornado / Conde Nast: FXFowle and Rafael Pelli

11 11.34%
  • Extell: Steven Holl

8 8.25%
  • Related / Goldman Sachs / NewsCorp: Kohn Pedersen Fox, Arquitectonica and Robert AM Stern

8 8.25%
  • Tishman Speyer / Morgan Stanley: Helmut Jahn

6 6.19%
Page 30 of 128 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson Yards

Forum Veteran

I wanted to hold off judgement until I had a chance to really look at all 5 plans.

First - Brookfield: I like how the high line is incorporated, the variance in the tower designs, and how this plan doesn't work against its surrounding areas. The site plan blends well in my opinion. I also like the height of the tall tower and how the two are designed together. It is good that Brookfield wants to wait to build these until the commercial market has shaken out.

Second - Vornado/Durst: This is very close in my opinion. The park space and building layout/designs for this one are both strong plusses, as is the galleria and tall tower height. I would be fine if this one won as well.

Third - Related: I like this plan in its aesthetics and design but I have strong reservations about making a Disneyland for News Corp. If they want their brand so badly on something, finance and build a tower but don't try to take over an entire development.

Fourth - Extell: I like the openness of their plan with the huge, sloped field in the middle and the wedged "sunslice" towers on the south edge. However, the tall tower is not attractive...innovative but not attractive. They should have released all their drawings in color.

Fifth - Tishman Speyer: Very disappointing. The site plan looks like the original World Trade Center plaza and the buildings look like they have little or no thought put into them. It appears that Tishman thinks their name will get them this project. Wrong.

Banned Member

Related and Vornado look very similar in layout and massing. I wonder if they will ultimately try to team up, which would given tyhe city a team of developer's experienced in large-scale projects with strong fiscal development, good market analysis, track records for actually building what they propose and - most important - funding.

As long as it all gets completed, I don't care which proposal wins, just as long as they stick to the general outline of their plan; even the most horrible plan would be something mind-blowing in any city.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Related and Vornado look very similar in layout and massing. I wonder if they will ultimately try to team up, which would given tyhe city a team of developer's experienced in large-scale projects with strong fiscal development, good market analysis, track records for actually building what they propose and - most important - funding.
    Vornado is already teamed up with Durst.

Not surprisingly, a quick curbed.com poll shows Brookfield an early favorite, blowing away the pack. What is surprising is Extell at third...

curbed.com

Which Hudson Yards Bid Should Get the Nod to Change the West Side Forever? Fooooorrrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr?

Brookfield Properties
    44.7% (322 votes)

Extell
    13.3% (96 votes)

Related
    11.1% (80 votes)

Vornado/Durst
    19.4% (140 votes)

Tishman Speyer
    11.4% (82 votes)

720 total votes.
    results as of 11/20/2007

I like the Brookfield bid for the reasons so many have addressed, and at this point the overall urban plan is what's important. But I'm reluctant to have SOM on the team if they are eventually to be responsible for the design of any of the larger structures.

Default curbed poll especially non-scientific

I mean, it's like when Ron Paul wins an Internet poll because he has devoted followers. The curbed poll has no credible way to block duplicate submissions, and the developers have every reason to skew results. All this shows is that Extell employees apparently read curbed.

The final comment in the vid ^ is ever so true.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post

... street grid plus the skyline element is good but still too much green space.
    Remember that there is more to the Hudson Yards area than what is shown in these proposals (and what will be going up over the railyards).

Hudson River Park is just a thin ribbon. There are no other parks in the area.

Ample green space will be in big demand for all the new residents.

Green space in my opinion works best in new york when its squashed into some random space.

If you have the opportunity to view the models on exhibit, it's worth the trip. A few questions were answered for me, mostly about the Brookfield proposal, which I think is superior to the others.

Walking around the models gives you a better sense of relationships among elements than looking at a rendering. The Hudson Green open space looks gigantic in the rendering (purposely so?), but in person, you can see otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post

The row of residential buildings on the south side with all the empty space in between will end up a mess. Neither BPC or Trump's Riverside development leaves that sort of space between towers. Its very anti-urban.
    I verified what I saw on the larger model with a Brookfield rep - the green spaces between the buildings along W30th St are actually the roofs of one-story bases, which will contain retail.

Unlike some of the other plans that connected their platforms to the highline, I like that Brookfield left it stand-alone.

Although not all the east-west streets run through the site, their is a rectilinear relationship between the building placement and the rest of Midtown. It looks more Manhattan than all the other plans.

I'm heading out of town for T'Day so I won't be able to see the display until next week.

Maybe by then the Brookfield gang will have replaced that militaristic Entrance To Valhalla thing with something better

The one thing I like about the Durst/Vornando plan over the Brookfield/SOM proposal, is that it has a plethora of mixed-use buildings that would allow this megaproject to move forward faster. The Brookfield/SOM plan gives a completion date of 2022.

Durst/Vornando's layout is very nice as well, the buildings ascend upward to the tallest supertall (1300'+) on the far eastside of the railyards. We also should not forget about the MSG site behind this that could lead to two 1400' towers that would culminate this cluster of supertalls to form a skyscraper peak. (Almost on a linear path upward when looking from New Jersey.)

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I verified what I saw on the larger model with a Brookfield rep - the green spaces between the buildings along W30th St are actually the roofs of one-story bases, which will contain retail.
    That's good to know. That's a big improvement from what I originally thought. Its why I'm reserving judgement until I get to the model myself this weekend.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Not much different from the new developments going up in Shanghai or Dubai. This place is the anti-Manhattan.