View Poll Results: What proposal would you like to see built for Hudson Yards?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brookfield: SOM, Field Operations, Thomas Phifer, SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio & Renfro

64 65.98%
  • Durst / Vornado / Conde Nast: FXFowle and Rafael Pelli

11 11.34%
  • Extell: Steven Holl

8 8.25%
  • Related / Goldman Sachs / NewsCorp: Kohn Pedersen Fox, Arquitectonica and Robert AM Stern

8 8.25%
  • Tishman Speyer / Morgan Stanley: Helmut Jahn

6 6.19%
Page 47 of 128 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson Yards

America's just a baby, give it time.

The problem is that New York, unlike most cities in the world, is ruled by a welfare culture. I recently read that one-third of New Yorkers receive Medicaid. How absurd!

It's ridiculous how whenever anyone wants to build something, people go nuts and ask how much give-away housing will be included for poor people. If the developer doesn't give away the farm, the project gets blocked.

Issues with the MTA are equally frustrating. New Yorkers want good service but don't want to pay for it. We need to increase fares. London has poor people too, and yet they pay a lot more for their service than we do.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Don't the Brits have free health care? Wouldn't that be the same as medicaid?

The NHS is free for everyone, but there is private care available also. Medicaid is given on the basis of income right? Like welfare?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Yup, so essentially the system here is better (or worse depending on what your viewpoint on state sponsored health care is) because less people are dependent on the government, which is in direct opposite of what LL was trying to say.

But isnt there a middle income gap where they dont qualify for medicaid but cant afford the insurance?

Yes. That's why 15% of Americans have no coverage.

I dont think the required insurance law is any better either.

Thats why New Jersey is gettin universal healthcare

Is it free for all or is it forced insurance.

It's free for all those uninsured, those with insurance really shouldn't see that much change.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    The problem is that New York, unlike most cities in the world, is ruled by a welfare culture...

...Yes. That's why 15% of Americans have no coverage.
    So, according to your own estimations, without Medicaid and "the welfare culture", 48% of the people in this state would be uninsured - and that's okay.

You are starting to revive your old arguments that people who can't afford to live here should leave and no one is entitled to anything. No one is entitled to affordable housing. No one is entitled to healthcare.

Yet, you passionately argue for buildings to be "saved" and preserved.

I can't tell if you are just playing devil's advocate or if you really want this elitist, sterile kingdom you yearn for in your posts to become reality.

I'm not sure I want to know.

Antinimby's post #695 was a sledgehammer.

So NY is bad because 1/3 of the population has socialized medicine, but in londonlawyer's favorite city, it's 100 percent.

Ouch.

There's a difference between Britain's universal healthcare system and Medicaid. The former covers everyone -- not just the poor. NY has an absurd focus on poor people (i.e., 1/3 of city residents are on Medicaid, rent control, the insistence of low-income housing in new buildings, charging transit fares that are too low to support the service, etc.). It's ridiculous.

^
    This is what you said:
    The problem is that New York, unlike most cities in the world, is ruled by a welfare culture. I recently read that one-third of New Yorkers receive Medicaid. How absurd!
    So a city can operate successfully if it has a full welfare culture, but not if it has a partial welfare culture?

Then I guess the obvious solution to New York's ills is to put all 8 million of us on Medicaid.