View Poll Results: What proposal would you like to see built for Hudson Yards?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brookfield: SOM, Field Operations, Thomas Phifer, SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio & Renfro

64 65.98%
  • Durst / Vornado / Conde Nast: FXFowle and Rafael Pelli

11 11.34%
  • Extell: Steven Holl

8 8.25%
  • Related / Goldman Sachs / NewsCorp: Kohn Pedersen Fox, Arquitectonica and Robert AM Stern

8 8.25%
  • Tishman Speyer / Morgan Stanley: Helmut Jahn

6 6.19%
Page 77 of 128 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1906

Thread: Hudson Yards

Forum Veteran

ok, this is now getting more interesting

I could see the architect sitting in front of his computer (I'm assuming none of this actually gets done on paper any more), pick up the scissors on his desk, opening and closing them, spinning them back and forth, staring at them strangely.....

But look at the horrid brown pile that Related is going to put up right next to the High Line at Tenth & W 30th (where The Lot & roller rink were this summer)

That site could command something really spectacular. But this looks like a Riverside West reject ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Related_TenthW30_1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	14393

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Horrid piles is what this city is good at.

Now cue in futurecity (and others) to tell us that it's not the developer's fault, they're not greedy, the architects also have no fault, working to a tight budget, high construction cost, draconian zoning laws, blah...blah...blah...blah.

Just thank the heavens that we didn't end up with those previous proposals for the main towers. The other banal residential tower is a minor factor compared to those ugly monstrosities that we could have been left with.

I'm pleased with the new towers, they are far and away more interesting than the stepped box design we saw before. The whole site now will look more modern, especially with the curvy hotel.

It's my understanding that the south tower also will have a large residential component, so I guess that related doesn't want to block the views from there. Also, with all of the glassy buildings that will rise in this area, a nicely done stone/brick tower would be good.

Nicely done doesn't look like the plan here. Stack of boxes is more like it.

...and any brick/stone will only be faux on da cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Horrid piles is what this city is good at.

Now cue in futurecity (and others) to tell us that it's not the developer's fault, they're not greedy, the architects also have no fault, working to a tight budget, high construction cost, draconian zoning laws, blah...blah...blah...blah.
    Of course you dont even mention the 950 and 1250 foot sharply faceted towers behind them. Its a tired act. Were you one of those kids who complained that the music was too loud at parties?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    But look at the horrid brown pile that Related is going to put up right next to the High Line at Tenth & W 30th (where The Lot & roller rink were this summer)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Related_TenthW30_1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	14393
    Wow some of you guys find the negative in everything. The rendering was probably commissioned by Kpf, therefore any building besides theirs is not rendered in detail. It looks like a rough Robert AM Stern design. The permits were submitted by Ismael Leyva who has been the architect of record for almost all of Stern's buildings commissioned by Related.

Other similarly massed buildings by Stern. Not great but still.

Related

Related

RAMSA
    Last edited by Derek2k3; November 1st, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoyokA View Post
    Of course you dont even mention the 950 and 1250 foot sharply faceted towers behind them. Its a tired act. Were you one of those kids who complained that the music was too loud at parties?
    What I find tiring is your constantly whining about my opinions while at the same time you offer the same old, yet opposing tunes.

Those "sharply faceted towers" are supposed to be impressive? I'm sorry call me unenthusiastic for a couple ungraceful towers that look like that they're about to fall over.

Gee, where have seen glass towers with slashes and cuts before?

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Pretty exciting times lately in this area. Many warehouse to office space conversions in the older buildings underway as well. This is such a dynamic part of Manhattan right now.

Forum Veteran

True - it started with the clubs in the meat packing district a decade ago, followed by the art galleries moving west of chelsea, combined with Chelsea piers and the redevelopment of the parkspace & bike lanes along the Hudson, and now the high line which has put everything into high gear top of upcoming 7 train subway access. You won't recognize the West side at all 10-20 years from now

Holy sh.it!!! This design was a nice surprise! These towers look as good as Kim Kardashian naked (i.e., F.U.C..KING DELICIOUS)!!!
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 1st, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

This tower is really nice. Where is it located?