Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only in New York

Default Only in New York

this thread is about things you'll only experience in NYC

*guys breakdancing on the train
    *on the streets, guys drumming on a bucket and still it sounds professional

etc etc. add on please

--There is a barbershop quartet that sings in the Wall Street subway station during some friday afternoon rush hours... they're really good and get a LOT of donations from exhausted bankers.

--The city itself takes on a surreal gleam in the late afternoon - with the skyscapers shimmering in gold thanks to the setting sun. It is like no other man-made sight in the world.

Last week at the 59th St A subway station: an Asian man in suit and tie with a keyboard, singing an aria...he was very good.

Forum Veteran

^I wanna be on that car

A few weeks ago I was on a train somewhere in Manhattan... I forgot where, but a mariachi band came in and did a few songs.

Also re: the silver guy, there are a few of them... that guy is in the TXSQ station a lot, there's one who does Columbus Circle sometimes, and probably another one somewhere.

i'm amused by the homeless person on the train that asks me for fifty dollars. :roll:

Do you ever say Yes? If so, Which train? What time?

Forum Veteran

- Walking along the street and seeing those Peruvian spacy performers, then a guy playing a steel drum, then a guy playing a bongo... all on the same block, even in 30-odd degree weather.

- Walking along the street and seeing 4 pretzel guys, each on a different corner, halal meat and white sauce guys right next to that, then some guy handing out strip club flyers and some guy selling what amounted to a load of crap (calculators, socks, etc). All on the same 4 corner intersection.

- Seeing a dog walker with about 10-15 dogs at one time, and not having one bit of a problem.

- Being able to walk from Times Square to the 6th Ave canyons to 5th and Madison Aves, passing by amazing brownstones in between, all in a matter, really, of minutes.

Corny, but I have to add: The Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Rockettes! Radio City Music Hall! If you think you're too cool, just get over yourself and let the pure spectacle overwhelm you -- or read Rem Koolhas' "Deleious New York" and feel really hip.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Last week at the 59th St A subway station: an Asian man in suit and tie with a keyboard, singing an aria...he was very good.
    Dude, you've seen James Qi? He used to play all the time at the 77th Street Lex station.

I have to add the smell of horse manure outside the Plaza Hotel. Only in New York can it smell like doodie at a swanky city's swankiest intersection, outside of its most famous hotel. (Not that it detracts from the general splendor of New York, but still... :roll: )

Forum Veteran

I go into my bodega this morning and the cook gives my dog all the deli meat-ends that are left over from the slicer. Only the finest for a NY dog, its Boar's Head!

I haven't seen him in a while, but for over a year along the Hudson River Park bike route, I would occasionally see this guy on a big-wheel unicycle. It was always in the late morning, he was always heading south, and carried a pouch. He appeared to be commuting. I have seen him as far north as Riverside Park.

On the subway a few weeks ago these three young kids, around 8-12 years old, put on the music and started doing their routine. But they weren't just dancing, it was really gymnastics. One kid was doing push-ups on one hand only - nothing else touching the ground, while the train was moving. Another was doing back flips, like 7 in a row slapping the roof with his hand each time, and back handsprings up and down the car. This train was crowded and they never stepped on a toe. The car erupted in applause, which is very, very rare. They made a killing.

Only in New York?

Waking up early, stepping out onto the streets while the sun's ascent into the sky provides a warmth and energy that reaffirms my faith in this atmosphere; unmatched anywhere.

That's what I miss most.

Once,a panhandler asked me for twelve cents.He was serious,too.Didn't tell me what it was for,just that he needed 12 cents.
    I gave him a quarter,figuring that he would appreciate doubling his luck.He refused the quarter and wandered off down the street,looking for 12 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by fioco
    Do you ever say Yes? If so, Which train? What time?
    I never said yes, but I admired his ambition.

On a less pleasant note, but surely an "only in NY" moment, I stepped onto the train and noticed a homeless person, laying on his side back to the car, with is hand stuffed down the front of his pants obviously pleasuring himself.

I wouldn't mind if that imagery left my head someday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast