Thread: Dave "The Bridge Man" Frieder

Default Dave

Dave
    Last edited by CMANDALA; September 5th, 2005 at 11:54 PM.

Default Dave "The Bridge Man" Frieder

Anyone here on this forum going to this thing?

I was there. His images were outstanding. Great show.

I made it there myself too. I was the one in the front row who asked him which bridge was his least favorite. Did you see me?

In case anybody is wondering, Dave Frieder's least favorite (major) NYC bridge is the Alexander Hamilton. His favorite is the GWB.

The Man has taste.

In original design, GWB towers were to be clad with granite.
    Luckily, they decided not to.

I read that in lieu of the costly granite cladding they decided to simply light the towers from within. However, even that proved too expensive in the Depression years when the bridge was completed. So the recent lighting of the bridge was planned back in the 30s, and we finally see the bridge in all its glory as it ought to be. *I'm with Frieder, it's my favorite too.

"The George Washington Bridge over the Hudson is the most beautiful bridge in the world. Made of cables and steel beams, it gleams in the sky like a reversed arch. It is blessed. It is the only seat of grace in the disordered city. It is painted an aluminum color and, between water and sky, you see nothing but the bent cord supported by two steel towers. When your car moves up the ramp the two towers rise so high that it brings you happiness; their structure is so pure, so resolute, so regular that here, finally, steel architecture seems to laugh. The car reaches an unexpectedly wide apron; the second tower is very far away; innumerable vertical cables, gleaming against the sky, are suspended from the magisterial curve which swings down and then up. The rose-colored towers of New York appear, a vision whose harshness is mitigated by distance."

-Le Corbusier (Charles Edouard Jeanneret), "When the Cathedrals were White", 1947.

May 4, 2003

A Bridge Too Dark
    By ED BOLAND Jr.

A Bridge Too Dark

Q. The lovely lights on the George Washington Bridge towers are lighted only on the New York side. Does New Jersey pay the electricity for its side and choose never to light it?

A. No, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey foots the electric bill for the entire bridge, and it is not delinquent in payments. But you cannot turn on lights that are not there. The lights on the New Jersey tower of the bridge have been removed, temporarily, to make way for the largest paint job the Port Authority has ever undertaken.

From time to time since its opening in 1931, the bridge has been painted in various spots, a new coat here and there. Now, for the first time, the Port Authority is blasting away the layers of paint that have accumulated over the years and repainting the steel with three coats of zinc-epoxy-urethane paint.

To do that, however, the tower lights, halide fixtures that were installed in 2000, and bathe the towers in crystalline light, must be taken down. So last June, the 604-foot New Jersey tower was darkened and crews began removing its 400 lights to start the paint job. Work on that tower is expected to be done by the end of this year. Then the New Jersey tower will be relighted and the New York tower will go dark.

The $54 million project is expected to be completed in 2005, after 35,000 gallons of pewter-cup-gray paint have been used to cover 2.5 million square feet of bridge.

George Washington Bridge, 2001.

West Side Highway opens in NYC, 1937.