Thread: Going to College in New York

Default Going to College in New York

Hi,

Im currently living in the UK but have been over to New Jersey a few times. Been to NYC once but cant remember it much but i was wondering what is the best college/uni around nyc/new jersey. I want to go to a fairly cheap college/uni over in the states if i can get the grades or maybe do a exchange year but what will the cost range around?

Thanks

I think Columbia is the best college in the NYC metro area. Im not sure what the exact cost is but most colleges in NYC cost 20,000+ a year, there are some CUNY colleges throughout NYC and cost between 4,000-8,000, but do not include housing. Good Luck!!

20,000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Im still not sure of the usa education system, here we have school then college and university where you do your degree, is it the same in the usa?

Im going to be 18 and looking for a place but isnt it cheaper 20,000 that way to much even in the uk it costs a lot less :wink:

Relax...those prices are for NYC only...There are more cheaper options in the USA as they are probably in the UK but they are outside of NYC I am afraid... with a little google search you will find them.

Good luck with your optons. :wink:

Forum Veteran

Actually, those prices are nationwide. Columbia's annual tuition and board is around $37,000 I think. It was $36,000 2 years ago, so I'm just guessing. My sister goes to Brandeis, where I think it broke $40,000 this year. Most good private schools are around there.

It depends on whether we are talking about private or public schools. Nationwide, the average for the top private schools is in the 30,000s including room/board.

That said, if you want to go to school in NY, and cannot afford private schools, like most, you are in great luck. NYC has some great public schools.

I suggest you study up on different schools on www.collegeboard.com . I think it will be immensely helpful to you.

Forum Veteran

Default Re: Going to College in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Talksoccer
    Hi,

Im currently living in the UK but have been over to New Jersey a few times. Been to NYC once but cant remember it much but i was wondering what is the best college/uni around nyc/new jersey. I want to go to a fairly cheap college/uni over in the states if i can get the grades or maybe do a exchange year but what will the cost range around?

Thanks
    Cheap = Public

http://portal.cuny.edu/portal/site/c...ront_door=true
    or
    http://www.suny.edu/

Ok good news peeps, i have decided im going to go for a football scholarship can anyone recommend me some good colleges/uni in around new york/new jersey i can pick from.

Thanks

Most American colleges only offer scholarships to American citizens.

I been told by numerous sources that there are colleges which accept soccer scholarships as the quality is not the best even though usa is one of the most developing country in the world for soccer so im just thinking is there anyone who can recommend me some colleges/unis to get in touch with to discuss it

Thanks

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Talksoccer
    I been told by numerous sources that there are colleges which accept soccer scholarships as the quality is not the best even though usa is one of the most developing country in the world for soccer so im just thinking is there anyone who can recommend me some colleges/unis to get in touch with to discuss it

Thanks
    My former co-worker was originally from Columbia and played with a free ride at LIU (Long Island Univ) - Brooklyn Campus.

Also, I know St. John's Univ (in Queens) has been ranked very high a few times recently (even won the championship, I believe).

If you are that good, or even pretty damn good, I'm sure there are a lot of schools that you can go to.

I have applied at a number of colleges all over new jersey/new york, its just a few things is concerning me the lifestyle at england is something i enjoy. I am very big soccer fan and get to see my team nearly every week, its something il miss along with my family as i move away. Its just a few things that il have to sacrifice, would you suggest the lifestyle in america is a lot better then the uk?

Forum Veteran

I think that's a pretty subjective question, I'd say they're just different.