Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Streets that Bend - Before there was a grid

Nice photo tour - thanks.
    Minetta Brook still flows in a culvert under Minetta Street, by the way - after a heavy rain there are a whole line of basements in the West Village which it sometimes floods, including that of the Minetta Lane Theatre and (15 min. downstream) the Cherry Lane Theatre.

Default thanks

excellent presentation! thank you!

I saw that too. They aren't gone, I still have the originals somewhere, but it may take a while to reorganize. Thanks for being so distraught!

Default was there photos of doyers street and the bloody angle?

Hi, I was also wondering where the photos have gone (and am equally distraught )... I actually really like the doyers street area, just because of it's history and reputation, and was wondering where i could find photos!

Thanks!
    -n

I was equally curious where your tour had disappeared to. I am glad you have decided to put your photos back up.

I need to find them still, sorry...they're around here somewhere.

This reads like a Google Desktop Search promo.

If you weren't a moderator, I'd nuke this thread.

NYatKNIGHT, any chance of an encore presentation of your pics? I remember thinking how interesting they were when they were up. They'd be great to see again.

If it helps, I'd be happy to host them on my server; I have near-infinite capacity.

Commerce Street

The Off-Broadway theater was built as a farm silo in 1817, and also served as a tobacco warehouse and box factory before Edna St. Vincent Millay and other members of the Provincetown Players founded the Cherry Lane Theater in 1924.

Commerce Street has a 90 degree bend.

Grove Street

At the bend of Grove Street lies this alley leading to Grove Court built around 1850. Originally known as Mixed Ale Alley, the Greek Revival mews was built as working-class homes.

Gay Street

Minetta Street

This little street bends because it follows the course of Minetta Brook, now underground. Once a pristine trout stream, it originated in swamps that covered what is now Washington Square Park and flowed to the Hudson.

Lafayette Street

Though a larger thoroughfare, Lafayette Street has some mid-block bends.

LITTLE ITALY / CHINATOWN

Baxter, Mulberry, Mott, and Elizabeth Streets all have minor mid-block bends as they meander through Little Italy and Chinatown.

Baxter Street

A slight bend just south of the old Police Headquarters.

The famous Five Points intersection was just south of this bend in Baxter Street (once Orange St.). Columbus Park on the east (right) side of the road is an entire block that was once the city's most notorious slum.

Columbus Park looking toward the famous "Mulberry Bend".

Mulberry Street

The famous "Mulberry Bend" of the Five Points slum was widely known as the roughest block in all New York. In the 1890s, journalist Jacob Riis called Mulberry Bend "the foul core of New York's slums … where nothing short of total demolitions will ever prove of radical benefit." So it happened that the entire block was razed and made a park.
    Here's a photo of this bend in the slum years:
    http://www.geocities.com/synergy_two.../mulbend1.html

The Bandit's Roost, right at the bend (now part of the park) was the scene of many brutal gang brawls. Now it's a brightly lit Chinatown street.

Mulberry Street bends north into Little Italy.

Mott Street

A bend in Mott Street north of Canal Street. Today Mott Street is the "main street" of Chinatown.

South of Canal Street and parallel to the Mulberry Bend, this part of Mott Street was the site of New York's first tenements.

Doyers Street

This tiny street in the heart of Chinatown has no less than three bends.

Another famous bend, the “Bloody Angle” on Doyers Street becomes notorious for murderous ambushes. Even as late as the 1980's, clashes between gangs in today's Chinatown occured here.

Down to the Bowery

THE LOWER EAST SIDE

Allen Street

Wide Allen Street with a median bends from the East Village grid to the Lower East Side grid.

Manhattan Bridge in the background

Cherry Street

Under the Manhattan Bridge overpass, Cherry Street bends to follow the East River shoreline

Hope you enjoyed. There are more streets in the Lower East Side along Division Street that I have not yet visited, and Downtown needs a whole other day.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    NYatKNIGHT, any chance of an encore presentation of your pics? I remember thinking how interesting they were when they were up. They'd be great to see again.

If it helps, I'd be happy to host them on my server; I have near-infinite capacity.
    Thanks for the offer ablarc, but it was just a matter of ending the laziness and locating the photos on my hard drive out of the hundreds.

I had to break up the post into four, so the last three posts are obviously part of the original. Since then, I've noted so many more bending streets and even photographed a few, so hopefully I'll add those later.

Thanks, NYatKNIGHT; your pictures are every bit as interesting as I remembered.

I've eaten in the Viet Nam Restaurant. It's great. Really cheap and good food.
    It's on the 2nd pic of the Doyers Street.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast