Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Avenue Subway Project

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Hey, there's a really great Sports bar right where the TBM entrance is (92nd and 2nd). Best chicken wings in the City (after The Back Page closed over on Third Ave).
    Chicken wings you say? Hot wings? If so, I beg to differ with you. Olive Tree Cafe over on 3rd and Macdougal

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    But IMO, even if you remove a wall at 63rd street it's not going to be a new station. It'll be the same entrances/exits/platforms with the difference that there will now be Q service to the UES and downtown/Brooklyn
    Incorrect. Phase 1 includes a brand new entrance/exit to 63rd/Lex at 3rd Avenue.

Forum Veteran

So that's a new staircase, how much added service is that - one less block to walk? Doesn't really move the dial

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    So that's a new staircase, how much added service is that - one less block to walk? Doesn't really move the dial
    But you are disregarding the fact that the capacity of 63rd and Lex will essentially double. The Q and the F won't be using the same tracks. 63rd will be a "new stop" to Q-train riders just as much as the other three stations along 2nd Avenue. The extra entrance at 3rd is just icing on the cake. Saying it doesn't provide extra service is like saying the L-train stops along 14th Street at 8th, 6th, and Union Square provide no additional service because there are already other subway lines that stop there.

Im new to this site, but may i suggest everyone take a look at this site, Very Informative on all things mta. http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_in...-introduction/

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SaS View Post
    Im new to this site, but may i suggest everyone take a look at this site, Very Informative on all things mta. http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_in...-introduction/
    Wow, you really put a lot of thought into this. If I may make a suggestion, it would be nice to have zoomable wider shots of some of the closeups you have of specific trunk extensions. Great work

EDIT: Spoke too soon! I just found your master map of all discussed proposals:
    http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/futurenycsubway/

Last edited by GordonGecko; July 15th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.

The Steampunk Para-Architecture of Second Avenue

by Mark Lamster

I think of passages to the secret worlds of fiction as being camouflaged or at least out of the way. You get to Narnia through a wardrobe; In Lev Grossman's The Magicians, the porthole is in some South Brooklyn back alley. Things are a little bit different in actual New York, where sandhogs working on the Second Avenue subway line access their underground place of business via a five-story para-building recently erected along a full block of that avenue, stretching from 73rd to 72nd streets. (There are other buildings along the line.) Its massive, bifurcated ventilation tubes—which look like the periscopes of some great Verne-esque contraption—give it a distinctly steampunk aspect. The air is charged further by the enormous booms that emerge periodically, rattling buildings blocks away.

Pity the poor individuals who live in the apartments adjacent to this generic dreadnaught, which will be moored along its stretch of avenue for another year, and possibly several, given the pace of this long delayed project. I'd hate to have my home blocked out from the sun for so long, nevermind the relentless booming. This, however, might be a better fate than that of the neighbors across the street, who've had their property condemned to make way for the station stop. Progress!

The whole thing seems like a perfect setup for a Woody Allen film, and who knows, it just might be. But for the moment it would be nice if some enterprising architectural studio would take on this extremely large and extremely blank canvas as a project. The elements are there to do something pretty interesting for the city, with the added bonus of learning to deal with the great bureaucracy that is the MTA. Any takers?

http://observersroom.designobserver....-avenue/29828/

I watched them build that thing. My GF lives right there. I couldn't believe they were putting it up in the middle of Second Avenue.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I bet the people on the lower floors of that apartment building are royally pissed.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Is there really no better way to ventilate the subway system?

F*ckin' MTA.

When I was in high school, my bedroom window looked a little like that.

County jail?

A necessity for ventilation.

Ahhhhhhhhh.....

I don't get it.

Maybe Zippy had a gassy diet.