Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Coney Island Train Station

Forum Veteran

The aquarium is undergoing a $45 million renovation and expansion right now.

The site of the former Thunderbolt is being pushed a the site of a future water park/amusement area.

The plot of Abe Stark rink and its parking lot is being targeted for
    a scaled-down version of the "Brooklyn Sportsplex", which includes indoor handball courts and a bunch of other things I can't remember... (might be a running track, a heated indoor pool, or a hockey rink, or any combination of those..)

Results of an RFP issued by the Coney Island DC will be available before the end of the year and selection will begin.

Banned Member

Ratner's arena for the Nets will effectively kill the Sportsplex. Markowitz admitted it in the Brooklyn Papers.

Forum Veteran

Yup, he did. Hence the scaled-down sportsplex. Still holding things the arena can't hold effectively, such as indoor water-related things, handball courts and whatever else I forgot, didn't remember anything since then...

Forum Veteran

Totally agree. Indoor and outdoor amusements to take some business from Great Adventure and be year round. Water park should be the same. More bars, clubs and restaurants would be nice to mix in. Don't think there should be housing... noise complaints and the same crap. Relocating the projects would be nice,too.

Funny, I always say they should have a permanent Cirque site in NYC. Maybe it'll happen.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    The aquarium is undergoing a $45 million renovation and expansion right now.
    I keep hearing about this. What are they doing? Any plans released?

I always wanted it to be much larger and open to the ocean. It should shoot to be the biggest in the world, really.

The biggest and best, yes. The way the New York museums are superior to the national ones in Washington - I doubt this aquarium beats Baltimore's as a worldwide attraction. It should have landmark architecture and the most progressive exhibits. It seems to lack true ambition.

Similarly, the water park should be extensive, innovative and frequently updated.

Banned Member

My limited understanding of the aquarium project is that it involves a new parking structure and a cafe that opens on to the boardwalk. I haven't heard anything about expanded exhibit space.

The aquarium lacks an architectural presence at both Surf Ave and the Boardwalk.

New York Aquarium Map

Forum Veteran

Yar, you hardly notice it from the boardwalk. The only telltale sign is the sculpture wall stretching for about a block.

I think the aquarium expansion provides for a multilevel parking structure in place of the lot, with the structural ability to support a midsized hotel. I hadn't heard about the cafe... I think interior space will also be expanded.

Hey Gulcrapek if you are going to quote all the info you got from my Yahoo group at least provide a link dude. The aquarium will have an attraction on the beach as well as some raised levels for new attractions so you can see the ocean from them. There will be a carousel at the entrance and signs all the way to Ocean Parkway. They are going to try and rebuild the iron pier and the hope is to have ferry service from Manhattan. I attended a Coney Island Development Corp meeting a couple months ago where the Aquarium President gave a half hour presentation of the preliminary plans. They are going to create a really big dolphin attraction too.

Here are some of the ideas Marty (our borough president) wrote to me in one of our ongoing email conversations on Coney and Brooklyn -

Subj: RE: Coney Island Sportsplex
    Date: 1/24/04 7:12:47 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: MUSCLE13@aol.com
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

the parachute jump is my other personal goal and an ampitheater type
    structure at Asser Levy Seaside Park and a sports facility for
    handball,paddleball,volleyball,wallyball,paddle tennis is also among
    my priorities.........stay tuned, as I have mentioned to you before.........

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 5:55 PM
    To:
    Subject: Re: Coney Island Sportsplex

Please don't forget the Parachute Jump, Marty! Thats dream number 3 after basketball and Carnival Cruises, Right?

To read more great info about Coney Island and Brooklyn you can join my group just like Gulcrapek and Billy Blanco did.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coneyisland2/

Forum Veteran

Hmm... sorry, I wasn't aware I had to link info. I didn't remember where I got it from when I wrote it. Brain bad.

Banned Member

No need to apologize Gulcrapek. Most posts on his Yahoo group can be traced directly back to www.coneyisland.com bulletin board for which HE gives no links on his Yahoo group. All in all, none of this is proprietary or copyrighted info. Most was culled from the Astella Proposal, which I think you are familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    Hmm... sorry, I wasn't aware I had to link info. I didn't remember where I got it from when I wrote it. Brain bad.

Not a problem Gulcrapek. As I have said before you guys cover Brooklyn development like noone else. I think WiredNY is the best board on the net. I really appreciate you and Billy joining my group. Unfortunately there are those who like to stir up trouble :roll: I certainly hope this board stays as professional and civil as it has always been. Keep up the great posting Gulcrapek. I thoroughly enjoy reading your Brooklyn development coverage.

Just as an FYI- The next CIDC meeting will be here

Board Meetings

Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Time: 7 p.m.

My wife and I will be attending as we attend all the meetings. My favorite idea for CI development is a Water Park. If you guys have any Coney must have projects you are really into just post them here and I would be happy to forward them to Marty. As I said before I think this board is the best on the net and should be heard in development strategies. Thanks.

A hotel.
    A developer for Childs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast