Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Coney Island Train Station

Banned Member

My understanding is that the operating track will be demolished after the other tracks are reopened and the roof will continue - making a complete arch.

I drove by on the Belt Parkway yeasterday and the completed portion looks fantastic.

Banned Member

I was down at C.I. on Sunday. The crowds are back. The newly opened areas of the station look incredible - especially if you have vivid memories of the old station. This one is bright and open. The front retail/office component has all the steel up andcompleted, floors poured, but no facade yet. I've maintained that no city would build a $280 million station to nowhere. I anticipate a 42nd Street type rehab in coming years. Yahoo!

This is exciting! Just seeing the station tell's you that something good is coming soon!

Forum Veteran

Adding on what Rider said, I was also there Sunday (for a photo project, I think I mentioned it somewhere else here) and was absolutely "what the hell?"-ed by the sheer number of people. You'd think it was late July or something. There was a good number of people on the beach, but there had to be more than 100,000 people on the Boardwalk between W20th St and the Aquarium. I didn't even see the activity on the Brighton side, have no idea how popular that was but I'm sure it had a good amount.

Seriously, I thought there would be a few hundred people on the entire Boardwalk. Summery surprise for me. There were even some English tourists taking pictures. All the storefronts were open, and I noticed CI postcards and hats and visors and other memorabilia (sp?) is for sale, maybe it had been there before but I'd never noticed it until now. I also noticed a little wood gazebo that hadn't been there before. And the water fountains actually work. Hurrah.

Forum Veteran

Just think about how it will be when the master plan in finalized and the development rolls in.

Does anyone have any information on what the city plans to do with Coney Island? I think It needs modern rides, beachfront high rise luxary hotels, maybe something Disney? It worked for TS,maybe it'll work here.

Forum Veteran

Are those platforms made of concrete? That's weird because a lot of the newly renovated stations have granite tiles.

Of course, in a year or two the whole station will look a bit dirty. If there's one thing the MTA needs to do, it's clean the stations thoroughly and often.

Forum Veteran

ILN: Davis Brody Bond is currently working on a master plan for CI.

cool! Do you have any websites or any details??

Banned Member

From the latest "New York Construction News"

"...While the full benefits of the Second Avenue line will not be realized until 2012, the MTA is nearing completion on a flagship environmentally sound station. The Stillwell Avenue station in Coney Island includes the nation's largest photovoltaic roof and will save N.Y.C. Transit an estimated 12 to 15 percent in energy costs while eliminating about 17,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions over a 40-year period.

A 76,000-sq.-ft. shed-style roof designed by Kiss & Cathcart Architects of Brooklyn now covers the terminal. TRACO Architectural Systems of Kingsport, Tenn., and RWE SCHOTT Solar of Billerica, Mass., built the 5- by 20-ft. laminated photovoltaic panels from clear glass and strips of thin-film amorphous silicon material. The panels allow 20 to 25 percent of light transmission and together can serve as a source of 250,000 kilowatt hours per year in solar energy, and by summer should generate up to 60 percent of the station's electric power needs."

April 19, 2005

1, 2. Still not complete, but getting there.

3. The West 8th St-Aquarium station is also being renovated.

4. Stairway to the aquarium overpass. Looks sort of marine-biological.

5. Pre-installed graffiti.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ci_stn_23.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ci_stn_24.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ci_stn_20.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ci_stn_21.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ci_stn_22.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	803  

That stairway is sensational!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast