Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtown / Midtown East Rezoning Plan

Hi, Irish.

Do you have any news re: Torre Verre?

LL I think you may wet your pants when Torre Verre breaks ground.

That's true. I also will when the following occur:

1. Gray's Papaya on B'Way and 72nd is razed; and
    2. The dumpy block on 7th Ave between 33rd and 34th is razed.

Forum Veteran

Sacrilege, GP is New York royalty!!

Between 33rd and 34th? You mean the retail built into the LIRR venting structure? I'm not sure that can really GO anywhere... I think your best bet is to hunker down with Guy Fieri or something and open another restaurant instead of the knockoff converse store or whatever that's there. Or maybe you mean the H&M and Mcds. Nobody would miss that either.

I'm wondering if the air rights to those properties haven't been moved over the years, maybe to the Penn Plaza towers? I can't belived that would have stayed low rise / taxpayer for so long if they were developable.

All depends on the ownership of the properties. I suspect it's a hold out or two preventing an assemblage. There's probably someway to check the ownership with public records. I don't think you can even transfer air rights across the street. And there's really nothing else on that block that I can think of that would need the rights. Doesn't the Manhattan Mall have a ridiculous amount of unused rights sitting there too? I bet Macy's does as well. All of those places probably have extra from all the years the Malkin Family has prevented anything tall from being built near ESB.

33 threatened buildings named in midtown east

Preservation group unveils list of properties it says could fall victim to redevelopment if city proceeds with possible rezoning in the area that is designed to spur rise of bigger, state of art buildings.

By Ali Elkin

Examining the midtown east rezoning plan

The Historic Districts Council plans to unveil Tuesday a list of 33 midtown east buildings that it believes are worthy of protection. The Manhattan-based advocacy organization for the city's historic districts plans to submit its list to the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission ahead of a likely rezoning designed to spur development of a new generation of bigger and taller, state-of-the-art buildings in the area.

The list was pared down from an original pool of 78 significant buildings that stand within the proposed rezoning area. The final roster includes 20 commercial buildings, including eight pre-war and 12 post-war; six hotels; four institutional buildings; and three residential buildings. They range from the Minnie Young residence on East 54th Street, to the old Union Carbide building at 270 Park Ave. and the Yale Club on Vanderbilt Avenue.

In arriving at the final 33 properties, the organization prioritized those that it deemed the most architecturally significant, as well as the most threatened by the proposed rezoning, meaning the ones that would be considered "underbuilt," or significantly smaller than what would be allowed under the proposed new regulations.

"In that instance there is a much higher level of threat to the continued existence of the building," said Simeon Bankoff, executive director of the Historic Districts Council.

Mr. Bankoff pointed out that if those buildings were landmarked, they would still have "a lot of transferable air rights you could add to the pot that is part of the continued rezoning."

The problem is that those rights are often not easily transferable, according to Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York. Currently, land owners in midtown east can sell air rights only to buildings adjacent, or across the street. This limits the options for those who own landmarked buildings and thus far the midtown rezoning plan has included no provisions that would create more flexible rules.

Mr. Spinola also said that buildings should not be given landmark status just because their zoning might change and that that status should be reserved for truly notable buildings.

"There may be some that are worthy of designation," he said. "But it's funny that a lot of these sites also happen to correspond to the sites that could take advantage of the rezoning and create wonderful new office towers."

How many of the 33 buildings the Landmarks Preservation Commission ultimately decides to review for possible landmark status remains to be seen.

"We have been evaluating buildings within the East Midtown study area for their potential eligibility for landmark designation, and the buildings in the requests from HDC and other advocacy groups are part of that review," a commission spokeswoman said.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130129899

Proposed East Midtown Rezoning

Proposed East Midtown Rezoning Proposed Individual Landmarks

^Very Interesting. I think we can part with some of those proposed landmarks though.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes, especially the ribbon brick and glass numbers.

Damn, the Lincoln Building failed the cut a couple of postwar boxes made? Shame.

^ Not to mention the Graybar Building and 400 Madison Avenue (especially).

Is the Lefcourt Colonial Building, 295 Madison Avenue safe?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    They made a brochure:
    http://hdc.org/wp-content/uploads/20...13-smaller.pdf

Pretty much everything in the bottom three rows on the right should be burned and razed rather than protected. Who proposes to landmark fecal matter anyways??

Yeah, most of those are a stretch, aren't they? I like the Girl Scouts Bldg, as well as 532 Madison, but most of these are terrible. 711 3rd Ave? Banker's Trust? Really? I think if they're going to protect some of the sites (especially the residential ones), that they should be lobbying for a FAR transfer program, whereby the left over air rights can be sold anywhere in the upzoned area. That could make for a few (or one ridiculously) tall building, and minimize the damage to the nicest stuff in the area.

What they should really do is remove any FAR limits on new residential development in the neighborhood, and raze all but the most historic structures. Zoning is one of the reasons affordable housing is so impossible to come by, and new housing could also accommodate the neighborhood's future office workers.

I wonder how much prices would drop across the entire city if select areas were given unlimited or extremely large resi FAR allowances...

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast