Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How is New York minus smoking?

Default How is New York minus smoking?

I'm curious as to how those of you on this forum living in New York City find life after the no-smoking policy? *Whether you are a smoker or not, I would like to know if it has affected you in any way, such as being more or less likely to visit a bar or club, etc? *Are there visibly more people smoking on the streets now?

Also, does anyone know the penalty of being caught smoking where it has been banned?

Thanks,

Jonny

Bar owners pay the fines for illegal smoking.

Personally, I think the city's going to hell in a handbasket, thanks in large part to the smoking ban. Bars are empty, business is down by huge numbers, smokers crowd doorways and people are miserable.

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's going to last.

You'll find another conversation about the smoking ban here.

I think that other thread is used to discuss the law, while this one is for personal accounts.

Personally, I find myself more likely to go to bars, and to stay longer. *I have not seen any more people crowding outside than usual (when people would still pop out to use their cell phone). *In general, I think it's a positive change - no haze in the air, clothes don't smell like crap.

But that's my own personal opinion, I'm sure many people will disagree.

I smoke as do most of my large circle of friends. We're talking middle to upper class, 20 to 30 something professionals, many of whom are Asian and European.

We don't go out very much anymore, at most for an hour or so which is the complete opposite from before the ban. These days house parties are much more likely than meeting in a bar or lounge.

I understand the health factors but for us the ban is demeaning and there is no reason to pay ridiculous bar prices when you can enjoy a get together at home without the hassle.

Before the ban I was out at bars on average three nights a week for several hours. Since the ban I've been out maybe once a week for a very short time and have spent a hell of a lot less. People in my demographic were the life-blood of these places, I only hope the non-smokers will take up the slack but I doubt it. I still think it should have been left up to the market.

Thats my personal take on it.

Banned Member

I went out to Great Lakes bar in Park Slope Saturday night. *I was pleasantly smoke-free and it was PACKED. *No real impact in my neighborhood bar. (except for folks smoking on the sidewalk...)

^Glad to know that BR. I have to say I'm seriously considering quitting and this ban has a lot to do with it so maybe there is an upside even for smokers! I just hate having the gov't telling me what to do.

The smoking ban in Boston caused a lot of people to go out across the river in Cambridge. Is there a similar migration to, say, Jersey bars from NY?

I agree with you, enzo. *Being forced not to smoke when you're out can only be a good thing in terms of health and money, but why should there be someone telling you what to do? *Definitely a controversial issue.

When I visited NYC last summer I stayed in the Hotel Pennsylvania. *Regardless of the smoking policy in the hotel, my then-girlfriend didn't smoke and I chose to go outside. *I went to the stall outside Madison Square Gardens to get a pack. *It must have been my Scottish accent, because I asked for 10 lights, they gave me 20, and asked for a lighter, they gave me matches. *Oh well! *Anyway, I suddenly realised that I hadn't ever considered researching the state of play with smoking in New York (even before this current ban), and I couldn't help but notice that although the street was pretty busy (about 11pm) there were no smokers. *I decided to light up and take my chances anyway, then turned round and saw a policeman standing beside me! *Thankfully there was no problem, although when I visit again this summer I will be even more paranoid about it...

Quite a pointless story there, sorry!

Last I heard, it was OK to smoke on the street - but I could be wrong. There's been a ticket blitz in the city lately. TV news reported that a woman (who was pregnant) was issued a summons for sitting down to rest on a subway entrance stairway.

CZSZ, I go to Hoboken, NJ at least once a week now. Cigarettes are nearly half the price there, and you can actually smoke them. My friends who live in Jersey tell me they've seen a big increase in the number of hipster types hanging around in the past two months.

I knew all along that the smoking ban could be hurtful to the city. I still oppose it because of the fear that it could lead to further crackdowns on virtually everything. Now we've got pregnant women being ticketed for sitting on the subway steps!:angry:

http://www.petitiononline.com/nycsm619/ Read this petitiion and you'll see what I mean by this.

Its illegal to smoke indoors in New Jersey too. Anyone know if this ban applies to Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or the Greater New York area?

I think it's absurd that people who smoke are complaining about the ban. I personally cannot stand cigarette smoke and start coughing and get sick easily when around it. If smoking was still allowed in bars and clubs, I wouldn't go out as much, and why should I be punished for choosing to live a healthy lifestyle and not put other people's lives in danger (anyone heard of secondhand smoke?).

Smoking in a public place would be like someone walking around spraying rat poison in the air, I don't understand how anyone could possibly defend the right to smoke in a bar or restaurant. I grew up in Miami and avoided several places that I knew were very smokey, I love being to go into a bar now and enjoy myself without getting sick. If you need a smoke then go outside for a few minutes and light up, but anyone who claims that they don't go out because they aren't allowed to smoke, I think they should reevaluate their priorities (since when is killing yourself more important than going out and having fun?).

Even after quitting, I still think that NYC bars suck far worse after the ban than they did before.

Maybe it's my age, but the crowds are intolerable. I'd much rather deal with smoke than scores of self-righteous, self-involved, self-congratulatory dullards who've just moved to the city and think that nothing is more appealing than the sound of their own voices.

I obviously realize that not all non-smokers fit into that category, but that demographic certainly seems to LOVE the smoking ban. They preach it (along with many equally fascinating subjects) loud and proud all the time, and that's why I'd rather drink my wine at home, thanks.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast