View Poll Results: Which of these smaller museums have you visited? Check all that you’ve personally bee

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guggenheim Museum

27 90.00%
  • Whitney Museum

20 66.67%
  • The Cloisters

21 70.00%
  • Frick Collection

10 33.33%
  • Morgan Library

12 40.00%
  • New York Historical Society

13 43.33%
  • Museum of the City of New York

17 56.67%
  • Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design

14 46.67%
  • Skyscraper Museum

10 33.33%
  • Museum of the American Indian

12 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manhattan Museums

Default Manhattan Museums

Note: The poll question in its entirety should read: "Which of these smaller museums have you visited? Check all that you’ve personally been to."

MANHATTAN MUSEUMS

Manhattan’s a great place for museums. Everybody and his uncle has seen the Metropolitan, the Natural History Museum and MoMA, but not everyone has been to all of the somewhat smaller museums. Here’s a selection of ten of these, all of them dealing to varying degrees with art.

Guggenheim Museum
    Whitney Museum
    The Cloisters
    Frick Collection
    Morgan Library
    New York Historical Society
    Museum of the City of New York
    Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design
    Skyscraper Museum
    Museum of the American Indian

Too numerous for the poll, there are plenty of other interesting Manhattan museums, such as the Dahesh and the Museum of Contemporary Art, soon to be in a new building.

Most polls want your opinion. Here the poll proper just wants facts: which ones have you personally visited?

Please also post your opinions and observations.

Outer borough museums may be covered in a future thread.
    Last edited by ablarc; November 1st, 2006 at 02:07 PM.

Done the Dahesh too...
    BTW, a hadny lsit, Abalrc. How about thge folk art musueum inmmidtown, horrible building, interesting content.

Question

Ablarc- You'd like our opinions and observations, but for those of us who go to museums all the time... we just have too many things to say! Is there any specific type of observation you'd like us to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    Ablarc- You'd like our opinions and observations, but for those of us who go to museums all the time... we just have too many things to say! Is there any specific type of observation you'd like us to make?
    Well, after a recent visit to the re-imagineered MoMA, I wrote a little review that went spectacularly awry(http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=10836), so I'm the wrong person to ask for guidance. I posted what I thought was a piece on how the museum seemed to me to have lost its power to influence people deeply (for good or bad), but it rapidly devolved into a discussion of obesity and all manner of things I had no interest in topicalizing.

Best I can suggest: write what you think, prepare to be misunderstood, and consider yourself fortunate if you're not.

Glad to hear you go to museums all the time. If you've been doing that for a long time you've probably noticed the massive uptick in attendance and the consequent evolution of reasons to go (food and gift purchases up, solitary contemplation down). I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the new MoMA.

I also posted some pics of the new Morgan Library, which I don't like. http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ghlight=morgan. Do you remember it from when it was musty and deserted? You could spend an hour deciphering a page of Bronte. I bet Bob Dylan is really packing them in.

Seems museums have to trade in depth for flash if they want to be popular. So it has always gone, I guess. Popular culture: by one definition of culture, an oxymoron.

I've been to all those listed, except the Skyscraper Museum - the closest to my residence.

I've not been inside the Morgan since the renovation.

General comment: I enjoyed museums more when they were less popular - I guess an indefensible attitude.

The Dude Abides

It's interesting, when considering the context of this forum, that the Skyscraper Musuem has the lowest percentage of attendance so far.

I've been to all but the Skyscraper Museum and the Museum of the American Indian. I think the Neue Galerie is more important than a few of the places on that list, as is El Museo Del Barrio.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I enjoyed museums more when they were less popular - I guess an indefensible attitude.
    Oh g'wan, you don't have to cave to prefab wisdom.

The attitude is intact. The grumbling is internal.

I'm mellowing.

The prefab wisdom I was referring to was that your attitude is indefensible. I don't think it is; in fact I share your view that museums were better before they were mobbed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I've been to all those listed, except the Skyscraper Museum - the closest to my residence.
    you're not missing much

Depending upon the exhibit the SS Museum can be worth the trip -- although it is a fairly high-priced hour.

One reason I like the Museum of the American Indian: it's FREE (and rarely very busy). Plus the building itself is fantastic.

I always tell friends / family to go there as part of their jaunt in the Battery Park area.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    ...I like the Museum of the American Indian... the building itself is fantastic.
    Cass Gilbert, 1902-07.

The Dude Abides

Got any pics?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast