Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Crime in New York City

A sad, sad story --

'Blade' sword of justice

NY DAILY NEWS
    By VERONIKA BELENKAYA, KERRY BURKE and RICH SCHAPIRO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Sunday, July 23rd, 2006

His mother dead on the floor, a 23-year-old man rammed a replica "vampire slaying" sword from the Hollywood blockbuster "Blade" into her drunken killer early yesterday - and then grabbed the man's own gun and executed him, police said.

Vilma Rosario, shot to death in her bedroom
    by her lover, Emmanuel Allen.

Moments after Vilma Rosario was shot to death by her lover, her 15-year-old daughter, Lisa, fled their Bedford-Stuyvesant home, screaming, "Oh God, he killed my mother! Oh God, he killed my mother!"

But her older brothers remained inside the Madison St. apartment - bent on confronting the man who had just gunned down their mom. The two boys, Raymond Garcia, 16, and Juju Garcia, 23, found their 39-year-old mom dying on the floor of her bedroom about midnight. Her murderous boyfriend, Emmanuel Allen, 31, was sitting nearby, still clutching his gun, Raymond and police said.

"He was just sitting in the chair, holding the gun," Raymond told the Daily News.

Allen looked up and mumbled: "She's okay. I didn't mean to do it."

But his words only enraged Rosario's sons.

Juju pulled out the nearly 3-foot-long sword - a deadly replica of "The Sword of the Daywalker" in the movie "Blade" - and began slashing away at his mom's murderer.

Bleeding, Allen dropped his .45-caliber pistol. Juju grabbed the gun and his little brother, Raymond, took over slashing Allen with the sword. Seconds later, Juju shot Allen, killing him instantly, police sources said.

"My mother, she loved us," Raymond said. "And that bastard took her away. We tried to save her, but we couldn't."

Cops questioned Raymond and Juju for several hours but did not charge them with a crime.

The "Blade" replica sword that they used to attack Allen can be easily purchased online for about $130. In the hit movie, actor Wesley Snipes uses the sword to hunt vampires.

Rosario's five children - four sons and one daughter - were devastated by her savage murder.

"She was a loving and caring mother until she met that bastard," said her son, Valentine Garcia, 22. "She did everything for us. And he killed her. He was a jealous freak."

Allen apparently shot Rosario in her face during a malt-liquor-fueled argument over his alleged infidelity. Rosario's daughter was with two of her brothers in the living room when the shot rang out from the bedroom.

"He just shot her for no reason," Lisa said.

After killing Allen, the two brothers walked out of the house. Raymond told neighbors, "He shot my mother, so we killed him," witnesses said.

Lisa Garcia, her brother Valentine and a neighbor
    leave Bed-Stuy apartment where Vilma Rosario was killed.

Neighbors said Rosario and Allen, a security guard, had been dating for about three years and fought frequently.

"She was scared to death of that man," said neighbor Taesha Francis, 29. "He would threaten her a lot. She would cry and say to him, ‘Why are you doing this to me? I love you.'" Two weeks ago, Francis said Rosario appeared dejected as she walked to church.

"I want out," Rosario said. "But he's not going to let me."

All contents © 2006 Daily News, L.P.

Hope they don't prosecute the son.

I think the crime is slowly creeping back up as far as I'm concerned.. I am once again seeing things that I did not see for a long while.

Like the prostitutes that come out late at night and earlier and earlier everyday... The squeegy man is back in business... I see more and more teenagers hanging out in packs, looking bored and intimidating...

You can say whatever you like but I see them as signs of the crime on the uprise..

September 19, 2006
    New York Is Safest Big City, F.B.I. Report Shows
    By EMILY VASQUEZ

New York City remained the safest big city in the nation in 2005, according to an F.B.I. report released yesterday. The report also showed that the city experienced a 4.3 percent drop in overall reported crime last year compared with a nationwide drop of 1.2 percent.

“Today’s final 2005 report by the F.B.I. shows that our innovative efforts to reduce crime and increase New Yorkers’ quality of life are working,” Mayor Bloomberg said in a statement.

The data, almost 10 months old, show that while the number of reported homicides increased nationwide last year by 3.4 percent, the number reported in the city fell by 5.4 percent. Police statistics, however, show that through this Sept. 10, the number of reported killings is up 2.1 percent compared with the same period last year.

In 2005, the number of robberies reported nationwide increased by 3.9 percent, while in the city it increased by 1.4 percent. Over all, reported violent crime fell last year by 1.9 percent in the city, while nationwide it rose by 2.3 percent.

The city’s Total Crime Index ranked lowest for crime in 2005 among the nation’s 10 largest cities, including Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Philadelphia and Los Angeles. Dallas had the worst index ranking, with 8,484.4 reported crimes per 100,000 people. That represents about one crime for each 12 people. Los Angeles, which ranked eighth, experienced 3,850.4 crimes per 100,000 people, or one crime per 26 people. New York City experienced 2,675.5 crimes per 100,000 people, or about one crime per 37 people.

Thus far in 2006, overall reported crime in New York City continues to fall, down 5.04 percent by Sept. 10 compared with the same period last year.

Though no specific national data is yet available for the year to date, law enforcement officials and crime analysts have noted a continued rise in crime in some areas across the country.

David Kennedy, director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said yesterday that many crime analysts believe the causes for that increase vary by region, but include traditional issues like illegally obtained firearms and drug availability. But some newer issues may also be at the root, he said.

“It’s very hard to put your finger on, but a lot of us are convinced there’s a very real spreading and intensifying of this street subculture” involving issues of “honor, respect, and issues of manhood inextricably tied up with violent responses,” Mr. Kennedy said.

He added that some police departments across the country have cited a lack of resources.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Quote Originally Posted by slovakchlop View Post
    New York still has some work to do in that department (fixing police salaries) since my neighbor is an MTA bus driver who was making over $47k his first year at work, and I was making $46,000 as a ferry deckhand
    I know this is not the adequate theard to ask about it, but just want to know the answer and i will not commet more about it in this thread.
    $47k for MTA bus driver in the first year.
    Just two question.
    How much are the taxes?I mean, after taxes how much is it?
    And last question, what do I have to do to apply for a job like that? Im from spain and if you are a city bus driver can make 20k €. Life here is cheaper, but this doesnt cost the half. I think we can start a new thread talking about that.

Taxes in the US is very confusing and differs person to person depending if you are single or married and lots of other variables ...

The Dude Abides

...like how cleverly you can disguise your deductions.

September 29, 2006
    Despite Continuing Decrease in Crime in the City, Troubling Signs Emerge
    By EMILY VASQUEZ

A person is more likely this year than last to be murdered in Orlando, robbed in Oakland or assaulted in Milwaukee. But so far this year, the streets of New York City have been growing ever safer, just as they have been for more than a decade.

Over all, crime is down in New York by roughly 5 percent from the same period last year, according to the most recent police statistics, even as it is creeping up in many other American cities.

But digging deeper into the city’s numbers uncovers some worrisome trends. Crime committed by young people, including murder, is rising. Stemming the flow of illegal guns is a vexing challenge, police officials say.

And the official murder rate has risen, though police officials attribute the increase to an unusual factor: A high number of crime victims have died this year from injuries sustained long ago, and their deaths are still classified as 2006 murders.

Of those arrested on charges of murder so far this year, about 14 percent were under 18, nearly double the city’s average, 8 percent, for the past three years.

Juvenile arrests for murder and other major felonies increased to 4,842 in this fiscal year from 4,352 in the past one. That is an increase of 11.3 percent, whereas since at least 2002 there have been annual increases no greater than 2.1 percent, according to a city report released this month.

Criminologists attribute the spurt in youth crime in some places to what they call an evolving subculture among juveniles and young adults that encourages violent responses to seemingly trivial disputes.

“What everybody sees is street rules saying if you’re dissed you have to do something,” said David M. Kennedy, the director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. “And what counts as being dissed is getting more and more minor.”

But Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said he had seen no indication that was a major contributing factor in New York. He said he was not certain what was causing the uptick in juvenile crime. What is clear, Mr. Kelly said, is that New York, like other cities, is struggling with the impact of illegal guns on crime.

“We are victimized by lax gun control in other states,” he said. “There’s way too many guns on the street. Everybody accepts that.”

In response to the continued buildup of guns, Mr. Kelly said the Police Department had intensified its debriefing program, which views anyone arrested for gun possession as a source of information on illegal weapons and their sources. In addition, he said the department merged its separate gun units in April into a better coordinated gun suppression unit and funneled extra resources its way.

Through Sept. 24, gun arrests in New York City had risen 14.3 percent, to 2,750 from 2,404 during the same period last year. Handgun seizures through Aug. 31 rose to 849 this year from 498 over the same period last year. And despite the remaining reservoir of guns on the streets, shootings citywide so far this year have fallen, to 1,135 from 1,175 during the same time frame in 2005.

But while the citywide picture remains relatively rosy, certain neighborhoods, after years of declining crime, are more dangerous.

In the neighborhoods that constitute Harlem’s 32nd Precinct, which stretches north from 127th Street, for example, there were 37 shootings through Sept. 24, up from 27 during the same period last year. Gun arrests increased to 83 from 47 during the same time frame. There were 13 homicides in the precinct through Sept. 24, compared with 6 in the same period of 2005.

In the 120th Precinct in Staten Island, which covers the area north of the Staten Island Expressway, auto thefts were up 18.8 percent and robbery had increased 17.1 percent by Sept. 24, compared with the same period last year. During the same time frame the precinct recorded 13 homicides, compared with 7 last year.

Still, underscoring how much improved the crime picture is from a decade ago, people who live in the neighborhood say they feel safer.

“It’s gotten better,” said Denise Allen, 50, who has lived all her life in Stapleton Houses, a public housing complex in the 120th Precinct. “You don’t hear as much killing and shooting. You used to be scared here walking.”

The official number of citywide homicides had increased through Sept. 24 to 409 from 403 for the same period last year.

What has inflated the 2006 statistic is an unusual number of deaths this year that were classified as homicides because the medical examiner determined they were directly related to crimes from previous years, the police said.

One such case is that of 72-year-old Kam Tsang, who was shot under unknown circumstances in Lower Manhattan in 1974, the police said. Mr. Tsang was left paralyzed after the shooting but died in April of pneumonia. In June the medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, attributing his susceptibility to pneumonia to the initial gunshot wound.

Twenty-five such reclassified deaths were included in the homicide count by Sept. 24, and 12 of those were related to injuries sustained at least 14 years ago, the police said. Last year only 13 such reclassified deaths were counted by Sept. 24, and the rise appears somewhat of a fluke, the police said.

The rates for other major crimes in New York, including robbery and felony assault, are down so far this year from the same period in 2005. As a result, New York stands in stark contrast to other cities.

For example, the murder rate in Orlando jumped more than 200 percent, to 37, through Aug. 31, compared with 12 for the same period in 2005. Oakland, Calif., had roughly 850 more robberies by Sept. 24 this year than it did by the same date last year, about a 42 percent increase. And in Milwaukee, the number of assaults jumped by more than 700, a 22 percent increase, during the first six months of the year compared with the first half of 2005.

“What we’re seeing here over the past 18 to 24 months is an emerging trend of increased violence in three areas: aggravated assault, robbery and homicide,” said Chuck Wexler, the executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum, a Washington-based organization that focuses on law enforcement issues. “It’s widespread and it is significant”

The causes for such increases vary by city, and whether they suggest a prolonged trend remains unclear, Mr. Kennedy said. But what is certain is that “New York is really standing on the other side of this,” he said.

Richard Aborn, the president of New York’s Citizens Crime Commission, a group that monitors police policies in New York, said the success comes even as the Police Department has about 4,600 fewer officers than it did in 2000.

Mr. Kennedy said, “I, like a lot of other people, are firmly convinced it’s about how the N.Y.P.D. is operating.”

He added, referring to changes in crime over time: “New York has consistently managed to show these are not inexorable tidal forces that you just watch. N.Y.P.D.’s core conviction is that the police can do something about crime if they stay at it.”

Ann Farmer contributed reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Criminologists attribute the spurt in youth crime in some places to what they call an evolving subculture among juveniles and young adults that encourages violent responses to seemingly trivial disputes.

“What everybody sees is street rules saying if you’re dissed you have to do something,” said David M. Kennedy, the director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. “And what counts as being dissed is getting more and more minor.”
    This phenomenon extends to the hinterlands where I live.

An effect of rap music?

But Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said he had seen no indication that was a major contributing factor in New York. He said he was not certain what was causing the uptick in juvenile crime.
    Can’t understand why he’d say this. I’ve seen it, and I’m not a Police Commissioner.

Doesn’t he read his profession’s newsletters?

“We are victimized by lax gun control in other states,” he said. “There’s way too many guns on the street. Everybody accepts that.”
    Oh, I see: he has an axe to grind.

But while the citywide picture remains relatively rosy, certain neighborhoods, after years of declining crime, are more dangerous.

In the neighborhoods that constitute Harlem’s 32nd Precinct, which stretches north from 127th Street, for example, there were 37 shootings through Sept. 24, up from 27 during the same period last year. Gun arrests increased to 83 from 47 during the same time frame. There were 13 homicides in the precinct through Sept. 24, compared with 6 in the same period of 2005.
    How about if they get some of the rappers up there to balance things out a bit: “It’s only a song, bro.”

Oh...the rappers have similar problems of their own. Maybe they take their own songs to heart.

“New York has consistently managed to show these are not inexorable tidal forces that you just watch. N.Y.P.D.’s core conviction is that the police can do something about crime if they stay at it.”
    But what can they do about popular culture and role models?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    This phenomenon extends to the hinterlands where I live.

An effect of rap music?

Can’t understand why he’d say this. I’ve seen it, and I’m not a Police Commissioner.

Doesn’t he read his profession’s newsletters?

Oh, I see: he has an axe to grind.

How about if they get some of the rappers up there to balance things out a bit: “It’s only a song, bro.”

Oh...the rappers have similar problems of their own. Maybe they take their own songs to heart.

But what can they do about popular culture and role models?

Crime is not a direct result of rap museum, rather RAP MUSIC is a direct result of the desperate situations these young people end up in. You are talking about very poor and very much uneducated young people, RAP music is a POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE way to coming to terms with their reality. If anything RAP music makes their lives more meaningful and reduces the chances of acting out their feelings with a gun. RAP music provides and OUTLET for majority of young people very much dismissed by society and culture.

Dont ever dare to accuse artists or musicians, or music itself of causing crime or influencing people. If it's not compatible with your cultural assertions does not mean it is bad. Music has been used as a scapegoat for many centuries.

Stalin banned Shostakovich symphonies, Hitler tried to destroy Jewish and folk music. You are doing the same thing when you accuse Rap Music of causing crime. Music NEVER causes anything, it is an expression of a mental state which is caused by the environment of the time.

Please expound on the "Don't Snitch" phenomenon:

After listening to Scarface 's "No Snitching" spiel on songs like "Snitch Nigga," "I Never Snitch," and "The G Code," it's almost unthinkable to even view 'Face as a snitch himself. But, Lil' Troy recently confirmed what one of my boys disclosed to me a couple years ago: Scarface is a snitch.

Now, don't get it all twisted. I still think Brad Jordan is to the south what William Griffin is to hip-hop. I still think The Fix was the last southern rap masterpiece. As a matter of fact, I still think that the whole "No Snitching" campaign is stupid. (Just ask Busta Rhymeswho recently got busted for not snitching.)

Still, Troy might have a solid argument on his DVD, Paperwork. His evidence? A four-page affidavit of Scarface introducing his friend to cops as a coke supplier. Troy was recently interviewed about these claims:
    "It's a brief DVD about the rapper Scarface. Me and Scarface been going at it for a long time. I've been letting him get away with a lot of stuff, and now it's time for me to retaliate. Scarface is on a four page affidavit introducing his friends to the [police] as a cocaine supplier. They call Scarface by his government name, Brad Jordan. The guy who went to federal penitentiary for six years is on my DVD talking about it. And Scarface has misled the people that he's a real gangsta, hardcore street rapper when he has otherwise violated the G-code. And the public demands to know this. Everyone who've been calling over to Scarface, he won't answer any of the allegations. A lot of magazines won't report this 'cause they don�t want to think that Scarface is a rat." (Source)
    I don't want to speculate on whether or not those documents are fabricated. I imagine that Troy -- a well respected pioneer -- wouldn't dare stake his reputation by concocting something of this propensity. However, rappers dissing other rappers to climb back in the game is so 80's. Besides, the beef between these two go back to whenever their collaboration, "Same Song," first dropped. Scarface (read: Rap-A-Lot) allegedly sued Lil' Troy for putting that same song on his own album. So, it's bigger than the whole snitching thing.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you think Face was dropping those "I Never Snitch" songs because he perceived that the truth will eventually come to light?

Is this a publicity stunt from Troy to pave way for a comeback?

DEATH TO THE WACK RAPPERS WHO HAVE DESTROYED HIP HOP!!!!!!!

profile.myspace.com

MOST OF THE RAP OUT THERE TODAY THAT GETS PLAY IS WACK. IF YOU THINK SHITTY CENT AND THAT OTHER CRAP ON THE RADIO IS REAL HIP HOP MUSIC THEN YOU DON'T KNOW SH..T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS FOR THE REAL HIP HOP HEADZ WHO CARE ABOUT REAL HIP HOP MUSIC, NOT THE WACK SHIT THAT GETS PLAYED ON THE RADIO AND HAS CAUSED THE DEATH OF HIP HOP TODAY!

FUCC ALL THESE WACK FAKE ASS HOES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenious View Post
    Dont ever dare to accuse artists or musicians, or music itself of causing crime or influencing people.
    The purpose of all art is to influence people. That influence has produced vast movements at many times in history.

Taking a smaller view, Charles Bugliosi, who successfully prosecuted Charles Manson, cited Beatles music as a motivator –as did Manson himself.

Here’s a website that discusses that:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...onbeatles.html

The police and DA argued that Manson found sections within the Beatles' song Helter Skelter and within the last book in the Christian Bible, Revelation which he felt referred to a devastating future race war between blacks and whites. By murdering some high-profile people, he expected to trigger the "final days" conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    The purpose of all art is to influence people. That influence has produced vast movements at many times in history.

Taking a smaller view, Charles Bugliosi, who successfully prosecuted Charles Manson, cited Beatles music as a motivator –as did Manson himself.

Here’s a website that discusses that:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...onbeatles.html

The police and DA argued that Manson found sections within the Beatles' song Helter Skelter and within the last book in the Christian Bible, Revelation which he felt referred to a devastating future race war between blacks and whites. By murdering some high-profile people, he expected to trigger the "final days" conflict.
    That's silly, if that a song influences some whacko to go and kill people it's not because there's something wrong with the song, there's something wrong with society and the whacko who it created. If a song was the cause of violence then alot of people would go out and start killing. Most people see a musical act or performance as entertainment and such, not a call to pick up a gun.

You have to deal with the underlying factors that cause crime, such as lack of easily obtained abortion clinics, access to quality education, and a welcoming and proper family environment.

read this book.

http://www.freakonomics.com/

Don't think the claim was made here that something was "wrong with the song".

Every artist is trying to influence and speak to others -- communication is at the core of art. But whatever the artist's intention might be (i.e.: see blue anew, consider the life of a lovesick historian, jump for joy) the influence that the artist's work has upon the action of others is always an unknown.

December 19, 2006
    Manhattan: New York Is Safest Big City Again
    By AL BAKER

New York City remained the safest big city in the nation in the first half of 2006, according to city officials who cited an F.B.I. report released yesterday. The report showed a 7.2 percent drop in overall crime compared with the same period a year earlier. In a statement, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg hailed the results, but added, “There’s more to do, which is why I’ve made stopping the illegal flow of guns into our city a top priority.” Police statistics show that from Jan. 1 through Dec. 10, the number of homicides increased to 551 from 505, a 9.1 percent increase over the same period in 2005, though this year’s tally includes a high number of deaths of crime victims who sustained their injuries long ago. This year’s count includes 33 such deaths, compared with 18 in 2005.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast