Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Riverside Park South

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

They were still installing some of the pavers today but it does look very close to finished. Would have snapped some pics but I was running. It looks really great, I love the newness of the park space played off the old pier and the train engine and the highway overhead.

Oftentimes, even when parks like this are finished, they delay the opening for a long time in order to let the plantings set. North Point Park in Boston/Cambridge was essentially completed two years ago and I don't even know if they've opened it yet.

Default MidtownGuy - Riverside Park South Pictures!

MidtownGuy has posted some wonderful pictures of Riverside Park South in his Springtime In The Big Apple thread HERE.

-ben
    Last edited by The Benniest; April 28th, 2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo.

Entrance near pier 99 (W 59th St). Almost ready to open.

Remnants of one of the railroad piers

In the background, the worker is standing on the tunnel replacement for the Miller Highway.

Shell will be constructed, and covered with fill to form a slope for the park.

Completed northbound tunnel section on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    ...the tunnel replacement for the Miller Highway ... Shell will be constructed, and covered with fill ...
    ... and likely never put to use as envisioned.

Will we even need multi-lane highways at mid-Century? Might make a good train tunnel...

Hard to envision transportation 50 years out, but we hope it will be more enlightened than present conditions.

But it's clear now that elevated highways are no longer viable within cites. Even with maintenance, their lifespan is about 40 years, while tunnels are much more durable (BQE vs BBT). And they're difficult to replace.

As long as there's a Henry Hudson Parkway spilling onto 12th Ave, a connection will be needed.

Point I was getting at was that we could use that highway tunnel TODAY for sure (could demolish the elevated structure), and in the future: maybe not so much (you need an infallible crystal ball to be sure). In any case it seems a tad quixotic to go to the expense of building a tunnel for HALF a highway that may or may not materialize in the future.

Phase II of many a project fails to materialize. To spend money today in anticipation of its certainty tomorrow requires either faith or folly.

The segment that's being built now won't run up to W 72nd St, where the transition to the existing road will be made. Another connection needs to be made at W 57th onto 12th Ave. Expensive work around existing traffic.

The segment is relatively easy to construct. And if it wasn't built, the volume of the tunnel would have to be filled with earth to create the slope down from the streets to the shore.

The present highway does the job, and while it's bad for the towers, it's not so bad for the park. The park has a wind-swept post-industrial feel to it, and the highway compliments it. From a practical standpoint, its height allows sunlight to penetrate underneath, and it serves as a canopy for basketball courts.

Nesting pigeons are another problem, but they've installed netting under portions of the highway.

I don't think Lucie Dove would approve.

This old elevated green structure (Old Miller Highway) is attractive...I don't know much about it and maybe this is a stupid question, but could it be put to a creative use, I mean something up there on top?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Point I was getting at was that we could use that highway tunnel TODAY for sure (could demolish the elevated structure), and in the future: maybe not so much (you need an infallible crystal ball to be sure). In any case it seems a tad quixotic to go to the expense of building a tunnel for HALF a highway that may or may not materialize in the future.

Phase II of many a project fails to materialize. To spend money today in anticipation of its certainty tomorrow requires either faith or folly.
    As I understand it, one of the big questions that has to be answered is whether to have Extell finish building the park now, knowing full well that if and when the money for the rest of the tunnel materializes, it will have to be ripped up with no money to redo it - or wait for the money for the other half of the tunnel to materialize from who knows where and finish the park afterwards.

This park looks completely finished, even the dark mesh has been removed from the perimeter fence. Maybe the VIP's that are doing their photo-op at the Tribeca section of HRP this week will keep their ribbon-cutting scissors handy and open this segment while they're at it.

I can't wait to see this park. I got a great view of it from a boat cruise I went on, but am still anticipating actually going over to it.

I was planning on it today, but rain is in NYC's forecast.

^Not until Wednesday, from what I've seen.

Oh...well, good.

I never made it to the park today but will tomorrow, since you say that there is no rain until Wednesday.

I can't seem to let go of downtown.

The new section is not open yet.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast