Thread: Things to see while walking around the city?

Default Things to see while walking around the city?

So lately, after having lost 60lbs and being able to walk pretty much forever without breaking a sweat, I've been walking around the city aimlessly just for something to do. Last week I walked from 48th and 6th down Union Square, the West Village, SoHo via Sullivan, back to the West Village by way of Bleecker, back down Macdougal though Tribeca to the Trade Center, down to the ferry terminal before finally heading to the Brooklyn Bridge to walk it for the first time, all the way up to Borough Hall before getting on a train with very tired legs.

Today I did even more walking, starting in SoHo and walking all the way up to 37th and 7th by way of Mercer and Greene before hitting Broadway, then cutting across to Lex and back downtown to the West Village by way of WSP, all the way to Battery Park before walking across the Brooklyn Bridge again, this time to Metrotech to get on a train. Anyway, now that I'm able to do this without feeling like I'm going to collapse and die, I'd like to keep doing it and walk as much of this city as possible because I've obviously been missing out on a lot of cool things this city has to offer. So, what are some places worth walking through? Things to stop and see on the way? Places worth stopping for food? I don't plan on going north of 110th Street, but anything south that's worth the walk is something I'd like to do.

Tale a walk through the East Village and cross over to the East River at Houston, then down along the waterfront under the bridges. From there you'll be at the edge of the Financial District, where all sorts of options await.

Now that the heat of summer is coming to an end, the next several weeks will make for good walking time.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Really, walk everywhere​. Start with the East river promenade going as far as you can downtown and then go on to the Avenues. Then there are all the side streets to explore. This may take several years. It's up to you. And congratulations on your weight loss!

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check out the East River promenade and walk along the water under the bridges. That sounds like it would be a ton of fun at night or around sundown. I've been taking some pictures while walking around but they're not the greatest quality coming from a point and shoot, but I'll post a few when I take my tripod with me next time.