Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson Rail Tunnel - Access to the Regionís Core (ARC)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenSteelDude View Post
    Please speak up if there is a flaw in my thinking, ... They are not going to connect with the old tunnel west of Old Penn but, would it be just as good for the new penn station to connect with the tracks east of Old Penn, west of Sunnyside yard ? Amtrak could use the new station for through trains the LIRR could also use it. It seems to me that this would solve several problems. Course they should also help pay for the connection.

Just an off topic after thought. The New Croton aqueduct is being rebuilt at this time. The Old Croton was finished in 1842, New Croton was finished in 1887.
    Again the problem with the new 34th street station is it's too deep, I've heard 19 stories below 34th but don't quote me. That would make it way to deep to connect with the current Penn Station or the Amtrak/LIRR tunnels from Manhattan to Queens.

If they extend the new tunnels to Grand Central it would be to another new station beneath Grand Central, ala the LIRR's East Side Access. But for several reasons I don't believe that if they ever did extend the NJ Transit tunnels to Grand Central that they would be able to tie into the LIRR's tunnels. I don't think NJ Transit's equipment which is powered by over head cantenary can squeeze into the LIRR ESA tunnels which are using EMU's powered by third rail.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

You would have to transfer.

NJ Transit uses the same 25kvolt overhead as Amtrak, so there would be no problem there. The LIRR 3rd rail is just a slight obstacle, there have been many multi-voltage multi-power collection locomotives in the past.

The grade for the New Jersey side on the prints is stated as 1.9% for the decent to get under the river. I see no problem with grades as steep as 2% for the accent on the Manhattan side even for freight trains. (as if CSX or NS is ever going to use the tracks !!!! They have Hell Gate bridge to access LI )
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; September 2nd, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Got some more prints yesterday. There is a note on the east end of the new penn. "Future Eastward expansion"

It would be great if they could combine this somehow with a subway and make a 34th. St. crosstown.

A through line would be a good investment for the future. Its a shame that plans are not being made to integrate the different systems. The ability to have a line from NJ to LI or westchester direct without transfers would help bring the region together and allow for a greater integrated metro area.

I think they will have to integrate the fare systems/media first, then they will be able to work on making fewer transfers.

It would be nice if a standard for electric rail lines were set. First I would do away with 3rd rail except for subways, that would solve 99% of metro norths problems. Next I would make 25KV AC standard for overhead power. If NJ Transit can convert from 3KV DC to 25KV AC I don't see why the rest of the regions systems can't.

If 10 cents of every federal transportation dollar were spent on rail we would be MUCH better off. Far cheaper than dumping billions into highway widening.

Hummm, this forum kinda died.

The contracts for the Manhattan side and the Jersey side have been awarded.

That just leaves the River section.

This project is design/build so I expect the time between award and ground breaking to be longer than a normal contract.

We could have TBMs working by the end of the year !!!!

TBM= tunnel boring machine

PS: the TBMs well be cutting some of the hardest rock on earth (The Palisades escarpment and good old Manhattan Schist)

Default Boring over the river

Makes me want more episodes on History/discovery on the boring and blasting process. I would hope that people in NY/NJ would realize the benefit of extending the rails to the east.

Here is an idea for this project: where they are dropping the boaring machines for this (in north Hoboken, they should create a station there. You could then tie the hudson/bergen lightrail into this newly created stop which would put you one stop and 5 minutes from mid-town. Not every train would stop, every other or so would pull off into this station.

They are already digging an enormous hole there and it looks to be very close to the lightrail tracks...so what am I missing on this one?

Default imo

I would think it has to with capacity utilization and vs cost. NJ transit doesn't seem to love their light rail operations and it seems they are looking at this as a way to increase ridership out of the Bergen region by providing one stop service.

@Zoe:
    Actually, it is a good idea. But there is an alternative, PATH has gotten it taked care of, as well as the Light Rail already has connection to PATH via the Hoboken Terminal. It would be not logical, money-wise.

Although, an ARC Hoboken Station could be targeted to people who fancy premium rail service, .

Newarkdevil how can you say that they don't love their lightrail service? The Hudson-Bergen lightrail has become a national model of how to build light rail and how it boosts economic development. Also all they keep doing is talking about expanding the HBLR. It's currently being expanded down to 8th St. in the Bergen Point section of Bayonne and they are actively doing a feasibility study of expanding it across NJ 440 in Jersey City. Also don't forget they are doing the preliminary design work for the North Branch extension into Bergen County.

If you are basing that on the NLR, then you have a point. They have zero interest in doing anything with it. They say they want expansion but don't put the funding in place; yet they have it for the HBLR?

Forum Veteran

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail system will extend to Secacuse JCT by 2014 and tie into the Rail network. 2 years before the tunnel is completed 3 more lines will be restored , the West Shore Line (Secacuse JCT - Haverstraw along the CSX line , needs to be double tracked and electrified.) The Lackawanna Cutoff (first phase to Andover opens in June the whole project by 2013 Andover-Scranton) and the Monmouth - Ocean - Middlesex networks by 2017 will tie into the North Jersey Coastal & Northeast Corridor lines. NJT loves there Light Rail , the network in 2 years will be maxed out at 100,000 people daily.