Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Biking in New York City

I see some real potential here for a new wirednewyork meetup event. This new fleet of bikes is located in Chelsea: I still think 1/2 hour is to short a time - 1 or 11/2 hours would be about right - because 30 min goes in a flash, once you get into your stride and start "rolling", it will be time to start "docking".

Forum Veteran

Where are the Helmets?

you are instructed to go to your nearest bike shop and purchase your own.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    you are instructed to go to your nearest bike shop and purchase your own.
    Do they tell you wear the nearest one is?

from their web site:
    Wear a Helmet

Citi Bike encourages you to wear a helmet when you ride. Doing so dramatically reduces the risk of head injury in the event of a crash while bicycling. (In New York City, children 13 and under and working cyclists are required by law to wear a bicycle helmet.)
    Always buckle the chin strap, and replace your helmet after any crash or whenever you see signs of damage.
    Your helmet will look and feel better (and will be more effective) if it’s adjusted properly.
    1. Wear it level on your head, about two finger-widths above your eyebrows.
    2. Make sure the straps are snug. Only about two fingers should fit beneath the chin strap.
    3. Your helmet should fit snugly on your head and not rock side-to-side. Use the foam pads that came with the helmet or the internal adjustor to fine-tune.
    Need a helmet? Here are two ways to get your own:

• Buy a helmet from a local bike shop or helmet retailer. Visit our Resources page to view a list of NYC bike shops. Along with their Citi Bike key, every Annual Member receives a coupon good for $10 off one helmet at any bike shop in NYC.
    • Receive a free helmet and fitting from the Department of Transportation. NYC DOT fits and gives away the official New York City bicycle helmet at events throughout the city. Call 311 or visit the DOT Web site to find a list of upcoming events.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I see some real potential here for a new wirednewyork meetup event. This new fleet of bikes is located in Chelsea: I still think 1/2 hour is to short a time - 1 or 11/2 hours would be about right - because 30 min goes in a flash, once you get into your stride and start "rolling", it will be time to start "docking".
    If you have an annual membership your ride time between docks is 45 minutes. It takes me about that much time to go from Queens to Tribeca on my own bike. For trips within Manhattan 45 minutes should be more than enough. This program isn't supposed to be for recreation, it's purely meant for transportation to go from point A to point B and anything outside of that would be hogging the service

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    If you have an annual membership your ride time between docks is 45 minutes. It takes me about that much time to go from Queens to Tribeca on my own bike. For trips within Manhattan 45 minutes should be more than enough. This program isn't supposed to be for recreation, it's purely meant for transportation to go from point A to point B and anything outside of that would be hogging the service
    I often travel from 11th / 23rd street to the financial district. A bike share member can not make that trip riding at a leisurely pace without having to dock and get another bike (if another one is even available) before arriving at their destination.

I agree it needs to be a fairly short duration: but, IMHO 45min standard , and 1 hour for annual members would be a more practical time frame.

I suspect the 'banking industry' bean counters are behind this in order to get those late fee charges: seem very similar to how I get hit with extra fees on my ATM card when I can not find my local bank branch to make the withdrawal - same sort of thing, same sort of 'scheming'.

After a year of delays, the Citibike program still suffering from software issues. Today it was supposed to open for annual members, but their website and app do not show the stations. It is unclear when they are going to fix this.

I did take Citibike for a spin today. 3-speeds, a bit heavy. Adequate for a leisurely ride, I suppose. The station where I tried to return the bike did not work, had to use next one, a block away.

spotted on the streets today...

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I often travel from 11th / 23rd street to the financial district. A bike share member can not make that trip riding at a leisurely pace without having to dock and get another bike (if another one is even available) before arriving at their destination.
    Really?

I can walk home from 23rd St in less than an hour. It's three miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    After a year of delays, the Citibike program still suffering from software issues. Today it was supposed to open for annual members, but their website and app do not show the stations. It is unclear when they are going to fix this.
    The app is working now.

Forum Veteran

I've seen many riders today, and it's weird - everyone is just staring straight ahead looking very serious and ignoring all the onlookers, acting like it's nothing unusual, which it probably won't be a month from now.

I think some people are just uncomfortable with being in the spotlight. In reality, it's just riding a bike from point A to points B, C, D......, but right now it's a news event.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Like my Dad used to say, the herd stares at the new cow in the pasture.