Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Biking in New York City

Stache, you grew up on a farm?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Sort of...

Sort of?

My father's brother married a Pennsylvania farm girl. They lived in NYC, but I spent some time on her parents' farm. First learned about...

I wonder if it works on bike seats? [Had to get this back on topic]

The bitching about the new bike share program has reach it peak, and is about to enter into the 'sharp decline' in whining phase: according to this "whine meter graphic" drawn-up for the Copenhagen bike share program.

Have a look:the 'whine-o-meter' is for real, funny as it may seem. Have a look. - http://www.copenhagenize.com/2013/05...c-opinion.html

Forum Veteran

I don't understand all this complaining. IMO it's from a vocal minority and a handful of grandstanding media writers. I estimate the loss of parking space to be at most 4 spots and approximately a 6 to 1 improvement on number of bicycle spots versus car spots. Yes, there is some questionable placement of racks but those can and will be moved in the worst cases. The benefits to the program far far outweighs any drawbacks (of which I see almost none except maybe pricing)

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I don't understand all this complaining. IMO it's from a vocal minority and a handful of grandstanding media writers. )
    Well, you pretty much sized up the situation with that observation. There seems to be an ever present frige group of complainers in NYC whose primary objective is to spoil the fun for everybody else; not much anybody can do about it - other than recognize it for 'what it is' and not take it all too seriously.

It is a good/fair generalization to say that the 'media' or 'journalist' are the worst offenders when it comes to this sort of thing. So far, bike share nyc is looking good: no complaints from me....

Looking at the bikes, I think the reason for no rear rack and a small front "basket" is simple.

It is not easy to ride on.

One of the easiest ways to make it hard to abuse is to make it hard/no fun to (try) to abuse. I also noticed there were no axle pegs either. What a shame.....

As for the placement... I can also see it as a bit of a PITA as a Law Abiding Jaywalker. These bikes make you sidestep to cross where you shouldn't. Not life-threatening, but still annoying.

(cry for me later).

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post

So far, bike share nyc is looking good: no complaints from me....
    Would you feel any different if much of the interior public space of the one and only park in your neighborhood is now overwhelmed with big blue bikes?

(Set aside the apparent improper installation of structures and advertising within a NYC Park. That we'll discuss later.)

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Would you feel any different if much of the interior public space of the one and only park in your neighborhood is now overwhelmed with big blue bikes?

(Set aside the apparent improper installation of structures and advertising within a NYC Park. That we'll discuss later.)
    No, and that is where I think you have hit on the 'crux' of the matter: so far I - and my neighborhood - have not been adversely affected in the least. Moreover, the bike share program is something that I can personally make good use of given my typical daily routines.

However, It is becoming increasingly obvious, to myself, that my approval of the bike share program is entirely in my own "self interest".

With that being said, I can still attest to 'liking' the program - but I also am beginning to seriously question whether or not this program is a 'net' benefit for the citizens of NYC at large.

This lady reporting on the Wall Street Journal makes 'a lot of sense' - some good stuff here, don't miss it...... http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-on-citi-bikes-2013-6

EDIT - I can not seem to make the video of the WSJ report: you will have to search.
    DEATH BY BICYCLE: Wall Street Journal Goes Absolutely Ballistic Over New York's New Bike Share Plan
    Joe Weisenthal | Jun. 1, 2013, 2:16 PM | 24,061 | 84

Big thanks to Josh Brown for pointing this gem out.
    The Wall Street Journal has made an epic editorial video blasting NYC's new bike share program (called Citibikes).

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-o...#ixzz2V4DKCdcS
    Last edited by infoshare; June 2nd, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

I know where Dorothy Rabinowitz is coming from in her exasperation with Bloomberg, but you have to be careful and pick your spots, not bend every single thing to that overall view.

She makes quite a few silly remarks:

"I represent the majority of citizens..." An editor on the WSJ represents the majority?

"The majority of citizens are appalled by what has happened." Can we have a citation here, and are we still talking about bicycles?

After being told that in 4 years no one has died as the result of a bicycle accident, but that 597 people have been hit by vehicles, she comes back with...

"The most important danger is not the yellow cabs; it is the bicyclists that veer in and out..." So it's not about citibikes; it's about bicycles. And other, lighter bicycles are more apt to speed, and veer in and out than the clunky citibikes.

Somewhere while watching this, a senior editor of the WSJ was doing a Facepalm.

Yes, but my favorite "remark" was here opening statement in response to the reporter interviewing her: "don't ask me to enter the mind of a totalitarian (or autocrat)" - or something to that effect. That was a real zinger; enjoyed (and agreed) with that one. LOL

edit - I found the quote. "Do not ask me to enter the minds of the totalitarians running this city." http://www.thereformedbroker.com/201...ybike-program/

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-o...#ixzz2V4e7a9be
    Last edited by infoshare; June 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Forum Veteran

Manhattan Driver 1, CitiBike Rider 0

Citi Bike Rider Struck By SUV In Manhattan

Days after the Citi Bike program got underway, a rider using one of the blue bikes was hit by a car in Manhattan Thursday.Police say the cyclist was riding at MacDougal Street and Houston Street early Thursday afternoon when he tried to beat a light.
    He was struck by an SUV, which had a green light, according to police.
    Police say the rider flew over the hood of the car and hit the windshield.
    His injuries are not believed to be serious.

http://www.ny1.com/content/transit/1...v-in-manhattan

Oh wow, I'm sure there are already 10,000 comments on Streetsblog blaming the SUV for daring to exist!

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    She makes quite a few silly remarks: "I represent the majority of citizens..." An editor on the WSJ represents the majority?
    She meant she represent the majority of her demographics - people who use exclusively limousines and cabs for city transportation. She clearly does not represent people who have a metrocard and use a subway or bus.