Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Biking in New York City

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Probably mainly using their own bikes, rather than those they can rent by the hour from Citi-whatsit.
    Citibike is not a replacement for your own bike. It's an addition to your own bike.

In other threads on this site, with regards to building development, I have seen the term "nimby" thrown around pretty liberally. I've also been reading the debate on this thread fairly closely. Would anyone agree - and this is an outsider's opinion - that a small part of the arguments against CitiBike might be based in nimbyism? Not meaning that they are wholly against it, especially if it displaces those pesky horseless carriages, because most have embraced it, but they simply don't want it in "mby."

Many buildings now offering bike rentals as an amenity.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/re...e4BnMBxbvAaftw

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    In other threads on this site, with regards to building development, I have seen the term "nimby" thrown around pretty liberally.]
    The most vocal opposition is coming from 'residents' of NYC, because those shockingly numerous, large, bright blue, rolling citibank advertizements are now in OUR backyard: there is plenty to be NIMBY about here.

The term NIMBY is a pejorative, but protesting 'not in my backyard' is often perfectly justifiable, perfectly reasonable - it all depends on "who's ox is being gored". LOL

Anyway, I am not NIMBY on bike share because I live north of 59th street, and I plan on using the program: if that were not the case, I my have a different 'opinion' of the program. That being said, I still believe that the costs NYC bikes share is going to far exceed the revenue generated derived from citibank sponsorship and rental fee revenue: the program will ultimately have to be scrapped entirely or subsidized with tax payer dollars: that is the only 'gripe' I have with the program - and that gripe is purely hypothetical at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    The most vocal opposition is coming from 'residents' of NYC, because those shockingly numerous, large, bright blue, rolling citibank advertizements are now in OUR backyard: there is plenty to be NIMBY about here.

The term NIMBY is a pejorative, but protesting 'not in my backyard' is often perfectly justifiable, perfectly reasonable - it all depends on "who's ox is being gored". LOL
    That is rather short-sighted. More bikes means less automobiles and that, in turn, means less dirty air and less lung disease. Less lung disease benefits everyone, even people not using the bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Somebody coming from New Jersey would not start using a bike for his/her commute. But very frequently, the quickest way to travel in the city is by bike, not by car/cab/bus (sometimes walking is faster than a car). Using a car in the city sometimes just insane - look at Ninth Avenue on Friday night. And it is dysfunctional to observe the insanity of cars moving at 0.5 miles/hr and be content with it. There has to be less cars in the city, whether by use of tolls or toll zones, and more bikes and public transportation, for city to be livable and friendly for residents and visitors.

Blades work too.

I had a set of detachables that worked well for short walks, mas transit hopping, then skate-betweens. (Hypno Skates).

You know the hardest part about being a rollerblader?....

Potholes.
    Stopping.
    Storm Grates.
    Cobblestones.
    Stairs.

I got a million of 'em.... OK, maybe a few dozen.

So far most folks are not having any problems with "computer glitches" - anyone else out there having trouble getting the citibike out for a ride......

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/1...w-york-bikers/

I was having brunch at the Turkish Restaurant at 2nd Ave and 52nd Street and a couple there couldn't remove a bike and struggled with it for half an hour on Sunday morning. Eventually a guy in the CitiBikes van came and told them to go to another station.

It must be value engineering at play here since Capital Bikeshare and Hubway did not have these issues.

Saw a couple of bikes "Tagged" last Friday (grafitti).

I am wondering how they will keep all of these guys in good condition when you have a few people who will do this kind of thing and ruin it for everyone...

I can NOW see that the citibike share program is working out very well: people all over town happily peddling, docking and disembarking everywhere I look.

It will take more than a few malignant individuals to successfully vandalized the entire operation. It is a lot like this very internet forum: the 'vandelizers' keep on coming - but the benign players among us just manage to soldier on somehow...LOL

apologies if this was posted before but...worth another look (because it's sooo true)

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question Is that a stunt guy?

He's very good.

He is right, but most of those collisions were avoidable while still remaining in the bike lane.

And, all things considered, having people biking the wrong way on a bike lane, between cars, against lights, on sidewalks and against traffic are all VERY popular "transgressions" amongst the delivery guys whether by ignorance (food delivery) or by the "need for speed" (messengers).

Although LITERALLY against the law... the "not in lane" may be INTENDED to be used when someone is doing these things and not when someone is simply riding around an obstruction. As with many laws, it is usually the strict and literal appellation that is the problem and not the intent.

Although LITERALLY against the law...
    but it's NOT against the law...literally or otherwise.
    What is against the law is not following the same rules of the road that a car has to.