Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Biking in New York City

Forum Veteran

The law actually states that you are required to ride in a bike lane where one exists UNLESS there is an obstruction. If the lane is obstructed, you are no longer required to stay in the lane. That was just a lazy ignorant cop filling a quota

I stand partially corrected...not unless a lane exists- makes perfect sense to me.

Forum Veteran

Cops should enforce other laws in priority to stupid summons"es" like above. Among others:

RCNY § 4-08 (e)(9) It is against the law to park, stand or stop within or otherwise obstruct bike lanes.

RCNY § 4-12(p)
    Other vehicles shall not drive on or across bike lanes.

RCNY § 4-12(c)
    It is illegal to get out of a vehicle in a manner which endangers cyclists (often referred to as "dooring").

These are the basic laws that pertain to cycling in NYC:

RCNY § 4-12 (p) Bicyclists may ride on either side of one-way roadways that are at least 40 feet wide.

RCNY § 4-12 (p) Bicyclists should ride in usable bike lanes, unless they are blocked or unsafe for any reason.

VTL § 1234 Cyclists must ride by the right hand curb and no more than two abreast.Does not apply in new York City. It is specifically superseded by 34 RCNY 4-02 (e).

AC § 19-176 Bicycles ridden on sidewalks may be confiscated and riders may be subject to legal sanctions (see also: RCNY § 4-07(c)(3)).

RCNY § 4-07 (c)(3) No driving bikes on sidewalks unless sign allows or wheels are less than 26 inches in diameter and ride is twelve years or younger (see also: AC § 19-176).

Greenways When riding on greenways, stay on designated paths. No bicycle riding is permitted on pedestrian paths unless otherwise indicated. Violators are subject to fines and confiscation of their bicycles.

RCNY § 4-14 (c) No person shall ride a bicycle in any park, except in places designated for bike riding; but persons may push bikes in single file to and from such places, except on beaches and boardwalks.

RCNY § 4-12 (o) Bicycles are prohibited on expressways, drives, highways, interstate routes, bridges and thruways unless authorized by signs.

VTL § 1237 When turn signals are required, left turns shall be signaled with the left hand, and right turns may be signaled with either hand. [see the Biking Rules Hand Signals Section]

VTL § 1233 Clinging to vehicles or attaching bike to another vehicle being operated on roadway is prohibited.

RCNY § 4-12 (e) Cyclists must have at least one hand on handlebars at all times.

VTL § 1232 Cyclists must ride on a permanent seat, feet must be on pedals, and bike must carry only the number of persons for which it is designed and equipped.

Where is it stated that it is "law" to wear a helmet: I 'read' that someone was given a 'no helmet' ticket while riding on the brooklyn bridge. I would like to know because I often do not have my helmet with me when I see an impromptu opportunity to take a city bike for a ride.

What can one do if a cop tries to give you a ticket for something that is not technically 'illegal' - which I think is the case with the person who got a ticket on the Brooklyn bridge.

BTW - The city bike program is terrific so far, but I can see that it is a very expensive system to operate and maintain, far more than the rental and advertising revenue it can generate: one does not even need to 'do the math' to know this system is going to become taxpayer subsidized - or completely shut down altogether.

Forum Veteran

The helmet law only applies to minors 13 and under. Adults are not required to wear a helmet on a bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    The helmet law only applies to minors 13 and under. Adults are not required to wear a helmet on a bicycle
    Thanks, news I can use. If I run into a "lazy ignorant cop" that tries to give me a ticket, I can tell him I 'know' the law. How that person (who was an adult) got a ticket on the bridge - I know not.

There is way too much about our legal system these days that is just 'arbitrary and capricious' enforcement: the 'rule of law' seems to be lacking a set of clear and concise set of 'rules'.

Forum Veteran

Yesterday in Downtown Brooklyn....not very well used...

014 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

020 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Forum Veteran

I would think that the most full stations are the most used. Don't they try to keep 50% of slots open for people coming in to dock?

Don't they try to keep 50% of slots open for people coming in to dock?
    I am all over town, all day, every day: and I have never seen any citibike staff loading/moving bikes to/from a docking station: I get the impression it is pretty much a small crew - so, not much they can do.......

I would think that the most full stations are the most used. Don't they try to keep 50% of slots open for people coming in to dock?
    Their app reports wrong number of bikes/docs whenever I look, so they might not know themselves about the number of bikes/docks available. There are some docks that do not work, as well as bikes with red light awaiting repairs. At certain times there are stations with no bikes to take and then at night no docks to return a bike.

It seems most of the moving of the bikes takes place at night. Check out the number of bikes, at any given station & at all times of day, here:

An interactive map created by Olivier O'Brien, a software developer from University College London, tracks Citi Bike usage throughout the city based on the bike share program's data, with red dots representing full stations and blue dots representing empty ones.

MAP: http://bikes.oobrien.com/newyork/

Click a station and see how the graph at the bottom left shows that many stations all of a sudden fill up at some point after dark, often apparently due to the arrival of the Citi Bike truck.

Forum Veteran

So that's $5.8M in user revenue for the first month, plus annual $6.8M in citi & $1M in mastercard sponsorship.

Looking at $13.7M minimum revenue for the first year with 11 months to go. I'd say this has worked out pretty well so far

It is also summer.

The test will be November to February. If the yearly subscriptions stay after a winter season and they get a good summer surge each year (that will need vigilant maintenance) then this will be good to stay.

Good signs so far.