Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 things to do in New York City

OMG .

Carnegie Deli Introduces $21.95 Carmelo Anthony Sandwich

Carnegie Deli introduced a new sandwich in honor of Carmelo Anthony joining the New York Knicks.

By Jennifer Glickel

MIDTOWN WEST — The famed Carnegie Deli didn't waste a minute creating a new sandwich in honor of the newest addition to the New York Knicks, Carmelo Anthony.

The eponymous sandwich, which Carnegie Deli owner Sandy Levine started selling on Tuesday afternoon, is composed of corned beef, pastrami, salami, bacon, lettuce, tomato and Russian dressing packed between two slices of Rye bread.

"The inspiration for the sandwich was that we may have a championship team in New York," said Levine.

Each of the ingredients has a specific meaning relating to the long-awaited deal the Knicks struck with the Denver Nuggets to acquire Anthony.

"I put bacon in the sandwich because we want Carmelo to bring home the bacon to New York," Levine said.

"And we put salami on it because it's a spicy meat and we just want him to bring some spice to the Knicks, bring some spice to New York, and bring some spice to the fans."

Levine noted that the Russian dressing was a key ingredient, as it's the condiment that delivers the best representational jab at Mikhail Prokhorov, the New Jersey Nets owner who was trying to make a play for Anthony as well.

Even the cost of the sandwich is significant, Levine said of its $21.95 price tag.
    "If you multiply $21.95 by three, which is the number of years in Carmelo's contract, you get about $65, which is the price, in millions, that the Knicks are paying to bring him to New York," Levine told DNAinfo.

Levine said that since the monstrous sandwich was added to the menu at approximately 3 p.m., the deli had sold five or six of them by the evening, but all to tourists.

"When New Yorkers find out about it and the news spreads, they'll be here ordering the sandwich because they will be curious to see it," Levine said.

Locals dining at Carnegie on Tuesday night were in agreement with Levine.

"We should have ordered that!" Upper West Side resident Marlowe Rinsler, 28, said of the nearly foot-tall sandwich. "I would definitely come back and try it. How could you not?"

"I know they have pickle-eating contests here, but I think they should have a Carmelo Anthony sandwich eating contest for it, too, because it's not just eating, it's entertainment," Rinsler added.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110222/midt...#ixzz1Em94FpO8

Holy....crap.

This can be a guide for tourists (visit red areas) and for locals (avoid buying anything in red areas).

Eric Fischer's

Locals and Tourists #2 (GTWA #1): New York
    Blue pictures are by locals. Red pictures are by tourists. Yellow pictures might be by either.
    Base map © OpenStreetMap, CC-BY-SA

Full Size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking...n/photostream/
    Last edited by Derek2k3; February 27th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

^^ cool data...

How do you get that many photos in the tunnel?

It has never been that scenic to me! (Looks like many more at the LT than the GWB!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    How do you get that many photos in the tunnel?

It has never been that scenic to me!
    Tourists? Quite a few of my passengers are mesmerized by Tunnels. I think it is safe to assume everybody have seen a bridge or two but not everybody have seen a tunnel..

Definitely more tourists visit Yankee Stadium than Shea....OOOPS, City Field...

If you visit the photostream link, you can see maps for other cities such as London and Paris in the same scale. I would've thought the swaths of red in NY would be more centralized compared to other cities since tourists hardly visit the outer bouroghs. But most other cities follow a similar compact pattern.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; March 1st, 2011 at 08:47 AM.

I know what you are saying MC, but no matter how foreign elephant dung is, not many people want to take a photo of it......

not many but apparently enough to paint it red in this map.

That is why I am surprised.

Why would so many take a picture of the inside of the tunnel, AND THEN POST IT?

I can understand the entrance, it is rather interesting, but otherwise all the bridges are much more scenic......

Maybe this is an artificial exaggeration of the concentration due to the limited area that is available in the tunnel.....

Also, I think the uniformity of lights inside a curving tunnel could make an interesting picture from a moving car..

Not really....

(Trust me, very few shots from inside a moving car, in a dark tunnel, ever turn out to be something worth sharing....)

I've never taking one so I trust you..

Well, trying to take one inside something that is moving is difficult to begin with. Then the low light, the windows, etc....

I think this number just came from all the adolescents on school trips taking pics and posting them for their friends!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast