Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 things to do in New York City

defanitely visit QUO
    one of the most remarkable designed venue in New York City

quonyc.com

Default Straight into the Top Ten

Definately the "Top of the Rock" (Rockefeller Plaza observation deck)

I was very (very) lucky to be given a private tour last Wednesday (26th Oct) and would recommend it to anyone.

The views are simply stunning.
    It scores over the Empire State Building for three reasons;
    1: The incredible, unobstructed, view of the wonderful ESB itself.
    2: The view north across Central Park (obstructed from the ESB by Rockefeller Plaza!)
    3: It's Midtown position - in amongst all of those other wonderful buildings.

It opens to the public on Tuesday 1st November.
    www.topoftherocknyc.com

Take a tour of Yankee Stadium if the Yankees are not in town, or if it isn't baseball season.

The Bronx Zoo

The Central Park Zoo

Pete's Tavern for a step back in time to Olde New York, than a walk around the gates of Gramercy Park

Prospect Park in Brooklyn, than a stroll among the brownstones of Park Slope.

Take a walk around the least visited area of Central Park, the northern fringes around the Harlem Meer

The Museum of the City of New York

Like another poster said, The American Museum of Natural History, than partake in one of the many great restaurants the Upper West Side has to offer

I could go on and on but I'll stop here

Quote Originally Posted by tdp
    Definately the "Top of the Rock" (Rockefeller Plaza observation deck)

I was very (very) lucky to be given a private tour last Wednesday (26th Oct) and would recommend it to anyone.

The views are simply stunning.
    It scores over the Empire State Building for three reasons;
    1: The incredible, unobstructed, view of the wonderful ESB itself.
    2: The view north across Central Park (obstructed from the ESB by Rockefeller Plaza!)
    3: It's Midtown position - in amongst all of those other wonderful buildings.

It opens to the public on Tuesday 1st November.
    www.topoftherocknyc.com
    I totally agree. They handed out free preview public tickets yesterday and again I feel very fortunate to be one of the first few up. The views are everything you can imagine and more.

Would like to add two more reasons to the list.
    4: Top floor view unobstructed by fences/barriers - just a low wall. This enhances the viewing itself and gives you a sense of freedom that you never experience in the ESB.

5: Pre-booked time slots, so that you can get away from two hour queues (ESB take note).

Very definitely a New York "must do".

not mentioned yet..the cloisters..you won't even believe you're in the 21st century (or 18th either for that matter) no less in new york city. worth it for the unicorn tapestries and the general ambience. a great one day get-a-way you don't have to leave the city to experience. as duke ellington would say "take the A train"....

if you're a modern art lover don't forget MOMA and the guggenheim (worth it for the building alone if you don't love the artwork).

can't recommend the museum of natural history too much, especially if you have kids. worth it for the blue whale alone as far as i'm concerned. it was the only touristy thing we did as kids that we didn't wait to be dragged to by visiting out-of-towners.

I could just write so much here but I guess Ill limit it to a few things....

Tour of Yankee Stadium is really good (especially if your an English Yankee fan in love with Mr Jeter.....)

Ice skating in Central Park on a very cold October morning...infact the very first day they open...infact to be one of the very first people on the ice within opening...shame I cant skate and looked like Bambi...but it was so happy I actually cried!

Top of the Empire State Building at sunset. More tears.

First time I saw the Guggenheim, all alone in NYC, having studied that building from books so far away. Yes...er...more tears....

Walking around Times square at night with some really great tunes in your Ipod Nano, stopping only to watch some street dancers spinning on their heads and doing somersaults.

Oh and of course, breakfast at the Cheyenne Diner......

Any theme parks around the New York area?

Check out the Central Park and Manhattan bridge. You can have the greatest view right there...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird
    Tour of Yankee Stadium is really good (especially if your an English Yankee fan in love with Mr Jeter.....)
    Do most Brits know how the game of baseball is played? Do they show baseball over there?

No - Baseball is not big over here, it gets minimal (if any) coverage.
    I assume it can be found on satellite?

Football (sorry, Soccer!), cricket and rugby are our main interests.

A small number of your National soccer team play in the English leagues - we look forward to seeing the U.S.A. in Germany (world cup 2006 - June/July).

Cricket and Rugby will never really get a foothold in the U.S. will they? - against Baseball & Football.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Do most Brits know how the game of baseball is played? Do they show baseball over there?
    Baseball is the most boring sport ever (4+ hours of spitting and throwing the ball at the same guy)

I am so glad Brits get that

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You are obviously not familiar with baseball. The game usually lasts 2 and a half or 3 hours. The pitcher throws the ball at different batters. It's not boring if you learn more about the game, particularly if you get attached to a player or a team (like Freebird seems to have with Jeter).

Quote Originally Posted by tdp
    A small number of your National soccer team play in the English leagues - we look forward to seeing the U.S.A. in Germany (world cup 2006 - June/July).
    Cricket and Rugby will never really get a foothold in the U.S. will they? - against Baseball & Football.
    It's interesting why that's the case. Just like Europeans haven't picked up on baseball, the same can be said for Americans' apathy toward cricket and rugby. Soccer is beginning to become popular here esp. amongst the younger kids.

If I was to visit around the September / October time...what is the weather like at that time of year?
    What could anyone recommend I do when in NY at that time of year?

That's the best time to visit, in my opinion. The weather is generally cool, clear, and dry. The leaves will probably be turning, so you'll want to walk through Central Park.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast