Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 things to do in New York City

Default Thanks!

Cool! Thanks! I was hoping it wasn't going to be too warm or too cold at that time of year. I've been to New York once in December and it was FREEZING!

omg , you have so many beautiful ideas , what one in NY should look at. if i visit next or over next year NY , i need very many time and many vacation. then i could see only a little part form NY. i become then definite again-comes and i again a little parts looka at. thank you for the ideas !

Default Sushi

I just ate at Morimoto Restaurant and it was really great.
    When you are done eating, make sure and see the
    lavatories. They are something else.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by shocka
    Heres some of the things i take tourists to..

1) Empire State Building
    2) Broadway Play
    3) Walk Around Time Square (2 n 3 usually are a day)
    4) Village for the great quick eats
    5) Avas penthouse, lounge with a great view of NYC
    6) One of the many musems
    7) A trip through the Subway, thats always an experience, hey i do it every day and it never gets old

As for the latino moving to NY, no need to move to a Latino community there are alot of Latinos around NYC and you will find em any where, going into a community i feel limits yourself too much. Hey a big part about NYC is its diversity

Where is Avas Penthouse located? Is there a fee? I've never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchiveNYC
    Where is Avas Penthouse located? Is there a fee? I've never heard of this.
    DREAM_Hotel ...

210 West 55th St.
    (Between Broadway & 7th Ave.)

Guests of Dream Hotel New York will enjoy ... a Penthouse lounge named after movie star Ava Gardner. The Ava Lounge is an electic mix of 1950s retro and French Riviera, with a seasonal terrace that offers stunning panoramic views of New York City.

Default As a native New Yorker here's my top 10....

1. The observatory on the top of the Empire State Building: Watching the lit up skyscrapers at night literally gives you butterflies in your stomach.

2. Crossing the Brooklyn Bridge: a 365 degree unobstructed view of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens Staten Island, Statue of Liberty and Governors Island in the misdt of the graceful cables that hold up this majestic bridge. Truly a view to be hold!!

3. Times Square: You'll feel like an electron in a beam of light.

4. Central Park: A reminder of what this landscape looked like before the stroke of civilization. Also the way the bedrock protrudes out of the grass plains reminds us of the foundations that this great city is built on.

5. Rockefeller Center: Looking up at its majestic tower (GE tower) from the rink gives you a sense of what larger than life really is.

6. The Metropolitan Museum of Art on Central Park East: An ultra pure conglomerate of history and culture all under one roof.

7. The Statue of Liberty: Visiting Americas beacon of freedom is a must for anyone who believes in the American way of life

8. Weehawken, NJ promenade(western side) or Kosciusko Bridge on the Brooklyn/Queens border (easter side) views of Manhattan: From downtown to midtown to uptown the way the skyscrapers silhouette gives a visual definition of the word skyline.

9. Battery Park: Walking among this urban waterfront gives a surprisingly tranquil experience a midst the various monuments along the way and beautiful Jersey city views.

10. Coney Island Amusement Parks: The biggest thrill of riding the cyclone is hearing the 75 year old wood creaking still holding that sucker up.

Notable Mentions:

The Village (Bleeker Street)
    The Brooklyn Heights Promenade
    Bryant Park
    Crossing the George Washington Bridge
    South Street Seaport
    The Bronx Zoo
    Flushing Meadow Park/Shea Stadium
    Yankee Stadium
    Brooklyn Bridge Park (DUMBO)
    Prospect Park's Grand Army Plaza
    New York Watertaxi around downtown from Fulton Street, Brooklyn.

1. the east village--very scenic

2. The strand bookstore in the east village-one of the greatest used bookstores in the country

3. Theater--off and off off broadway in particular--cheaper than broadway, but more inventive and envelope pushing

4. Go see a show at CBGB before they close it--The yankee stadium of punk rock

5. A Baseball game at either shea, yankee or keyspan

6. A stuffed pastrami or corned beef sandwich at Katz's deli, the carnegie deli, or the 2nd ave deli

7. If they get a rink, check out the Gotham Girls Roller Derby League--It's not fixed or clownish like old time roller derby. Flat track roller derby is the most exciting up and coming sport in america

8. Museums, particularly MOMA, the Metropolitan, the Guggenheim, and the Whitney

9. Comedy shows--even the greatest comedians in america will stop by the small clubs to try out new material-check out carolines and the gotham club

10. Coney Island Playland--The cyclone still rocks

Default off broadway shows

I visited NYC over the Thanksgiving weekend and had an awesome time! I needed help locating the off-Broadway shows and non-commercial performances. I have seen most of the broadway performances but I would like to see more unconventional shows. While I was leaving The American Girl shop on 5th Ave., with my daughter I paid $25.00 for a bike ride (2-seater pull-behind cart) and the driver was very knowledgable about New York and what shows and entertainings the City has to offer. By the way this was my daughter's favorite part of our trip. I would like to hear if anybody knows where I can find a list of all non-broadway theaters and shows/tickets. The
    cart was very nice by the way. In case you ever one a ride or a tour in New York or Central Park I got the bike and carriage's website: www.panterovtour.com It's great and inexpensive. Please help - it will be much appreciated. Thanks to all!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    I would like to create a list of top 10 things to do for New York visitors, and I would like to have everyone’s input. Please make your recommendations, then at some point we will vote to decide on the final selections. Here are my choices:

Central Park. In summer time, rent a boat at Loeb Boathouse and row yourself around the Lake; in winter, skate at Wollman Rink and enjoy the New York skyline.

Brooklyn Bridge. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, have an ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory at Fulton Ferry Landing – perhaps the best place to take pictures of downtown skyscrapers.

Staten Island Ferry
    The free ride to Staten Island and back takes an hour. Wonderful views of the island of Manhattan.

gpanterov

Next time you visit the city, pick up copies of the village voice and the ny press--can be obtained for free from bins in the street, primarily in the east village. You'll get lots of listings and reviews for off-beat, experimental and off and off off broadway performances.

Thumbs down What r u selling???

Hiiiihhhh!!! This one looks like a sales pitch to me...I can't imagine brain of anyone pulling one of those pedisasters (pedi cabs) could contain such knowledge... They mostly seem to entertain with their reckless driving skills...Can you imagine one zipping down middle of 5th Avenue with three people in the back, and traffic moving 20-25 miles an hour....I can..I've seen it!!!...I would most definitely put this one in top 10 "NOT" to do list, for sure....
    Quote Originally Posted by gpanterov
    I visited NYC over the Thanksgiving weekend and had an awesome time! I needed help locating the off-Broadway shows and non-commercial performances. I have seen most of the broadway performances but I would like to see more unconventional shows. While I was leaving The American Girl shop on 5th Ave., with my daughter I paid $25.00 for a bike ride (2-seater pull-behind cart) and the driver was very knowledgable about New York and what shows and entertainings the City has to offer. By the way this was my daughter's favorite part of our trip. I would like to hear if anybody knows where I can find a list of all non-broadway theaters and shows/tickets. The
    cart was very nice by the way. In case you ever one a ride or a tour in New York or Central Park I got the bike and carriage's website: www.panterovtour.com It's great and inexpensive. Please help - it will be much appreciated. Thanks to all!!!
    Last edited by milleniumcab; May 27th, 2006 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    Statue of Liberty: The exclamation mark in the sentence that is New York City. An enduring symbol of America and an amazing work of art.

Yeah, too bad it was a present from the French

Quote Originally Posted by DX2K
    Yeah, too bad it was a present from the French
    no the problem, one takes it again when you want!! it will be better in France.

Default 10 ten...

Bronx: of course, he famed arthur avenue in the fordham area for great food, the bronx zoo on southern boulevard, shopping on fordham rd and co op city
    Brooklyn: grimaldi's pizza on old fulton street, brooklyn ice cream factory, walk along the promenade for great views of manhattan, shopping on flatbush avenue in fort greene.
    Manhattan: the empire state building, pier 17, south street sea port, chinatown, little italy, times square, central park, rockafella center (48th n 5th), roosevelt island tram
    Queens: im unfamiliar with the borough but i know long island city has good views of manhattan, walking across the QB bridge, and shopping on queens blvd and the queens center mall in elmhurst

Roosevelt Island Tram is out of service, for the near future

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast