Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 things to do in New York City

Default Top 10 things to do in New York City

I would like to create a list of top 10 things to do for New York visitors, and I would like to have everyone’s input. Please make your recommendations, then at some point we will vote to decide on the final selections. Here are my choices:

Central Park. In summer time, rent a boat at Loeb Boathouse and row yourself around the Lake; in winter, skate at Wollman Rink and enjoy the New York skyline.

Brooklyn Bridge. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, have an ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory at Fulton Ferry Landing – perhaps the best place to take pictures of downtown skyscrapers.

Staten Island Ferry
    The free ride to Staten Island and back takes an hour. Wonderful views of the island of Manhattan.

Forum Veteran

My faves:

Chinatown: *A walk along Canal Street by day will blow their minds with the bustling crush of people. *Little Italy is a few blocks away, and the winding streets yield new surprises at every turn. *It's one of my favorite places to hang out with friends: with bubble tea cafés, ethnic cookware emporiums, sweets shops and import stores, among others, it's not just dim sum and knockoff bags anymore!

Times Square: *Natch. *New York's laboratory for unprecedented urban revitalization. *Dazzling lights, a consortium of restaurants ranging from Middle American chain eateries to high-end bistros and trattoriae, Madame Toussaud's, honky-tonk atmosphere, digital-era architecture. *The 21st century embodies the spirit of the '50s-era heart of the Theater District.

Grand Central Terminal: *The jewel in the city's diadem; New York's last vestige of the romantic age of rail travel. *Stepping into the Main Concourse still takes my breath away, even after years of using Metro-North to go to Westchester over the weekends. *The 1998 restoration was worth every penny spent: a European-style gourmet market, high-end retail boutiques, a wonderfully diverse assortment of restaurants and vendors. *Unlike Penn Station across town, Grand Central is not just a point of departure and arrival for commuters: it's a destination that only gets better with age.

Main sites are very good! *What would any of our members suggest for off the beaten path locations?

I'll add a couple from the outer boroughs.

The Bronx:
    Take the Metro North at Grand Central Terminal, 20 minutes to Botanical Garden station - step out right at the main gate to the New York Botanical Garden. 250 spectacular acres. Grounds admission is $6, and free on Wednesdays. Bring a camera. Have lunch at the Garden Cafe.

In Brooklyn:
    Smaller in scale at 52 acres, but also impressive is the
    Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Subway: Q to Prospect Park Station, or the 2/3 to Eastern Parkway. Admission $5, free on Tuesdays. Lunch at the Terrace Cafe.
    The Brooklyn Museum of Art is right next door.

Forum Veteran

There are also many world-class venues that perform at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

The Village. Check out some of the cool, funky shops on St. Mark's Place, or go to one of the great cafes on MacDougal Street, or just sit and relax in Washington Square Park.

Quote: from phxmania2001 on 1:35 pm on July 21, 2003
    The Village.
    Good idea.
    Don't forget the angle of Bedford and Grove.

I'd recommend 245, East 73rd street, too.

For residential art deco the Grand Concourse and its surroundings can't be beat.

Coney Island - Catch a Cyclones game, have a Nathans hot dog, visit the aquarium, *ride the Cyclone, walk the boardwalk, relax on the beach, see a seaside concert. Playground of the World

(Edited by muscle1313 at 6:50 pm on July 21, 2003)

Empire State Building Observatory

Even though most everyone has seen pictures from here many times, photos don't do the experience justice.

Everything seems so close and laid out right at your feet.
    There's also the sounds of the city all mixed together combined with the ever present breeze at that height.

Can't be beat

The above is the opinion of a non-NYer

For the family: Coney Island Aquarium or the Bronx Zoo. *The Bronx Zoo is one of the best in the world and is one of my favorite places in NYC. *I'll never be too old to enjoy myself there. *

I agree w/Edward about the Staten Island Ferry. *You can't beat a free scenic cruise.

I've always been a big fan of the Cloisters, and it's something the average tourist might miss. *It's a great museum in a great setting with a great view of the Pallisades.

The average tourist might also miss an opportunity to walk along the Battery Park City waterfront. *Say what you will about the bland architecture of the appartment blocks; overall it's a wonderful urban space.

Federal Hall is worth a peek.

Best Greasy Spoon in the Times Square Area:
    The Edison Cafe (off the lobby of the Hotel Edison), 47th st.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/nytoday...=1002207986173

-American Museum of Natural History - One of the greatest science museums in the entire world. Must see for anyone who is interested in non-western cultures, animals, dinosaurs, geology, astronomy, or ancient human history/anthropology

-Metropolitan Museum of Art - One of the greatest art museums in the entire world. Must see for anyone interested in art or history.

Banned Member

1. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
    2. Visit Times Square / See a Broadway Show.
    3. Ride the Staten Island Ferry.
    4. Visit at least one art museum: MoMA, MMA, Guggenheim, Whitney
    5. Visit Central Park.
    7. Go to a Yankee game
    8. Go to the top of the Empire State Building
    9. Visit Chinatown / Little Italy / Greenwich Village
    10. Visit World Trade Center Site

Seasonal
    Visit Coney Island - Summer
    Walk Fifth Ave from Bergdorf Goodman to Lord & Taylor - Christmas
    See the MMA Christmas Tree - Christmas
    Go to Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
    Go to Gay Pride Parade & Dance on Pier
    New Year's Eve in Times Square
    Watch NY Marathon
    Any ticker tape parade
    Monday movies in Bryant Park or Movie in Hudson River Park

Statue of Liberty: The exclamation mark in the sentence that is New York City. An enduring symbol of America and an amazing work of art.

Bowling Green.Ride the bull.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast