Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Staten Island Ferry

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Snug Harbor's architecture is noble but its programs are strictly bush league. They would have to raise these to world class stature and run a shuttle bus.
    Honestly, I live in SI, and there is nothing I have found worth doing around St. George. It could happen, but it would take a big effort. The ball stadium was a step in the right direction, but I just don't see anything else happening around there. *shrug*

This has been useful, I've already used the service on Saturday. Now all they need is hour hour service past 7PM on Saturdays and Sundays, and earlier half hour service on Sunday mornings. It really sucks trying to come home late at night on the weekend and just barely missing the ferry. You get to sit in the terminal for an hour waiting for the next one. Of course you could always just walk outside into downtown because there is always so much to do around there in the middle of the night, haha!

Metro Briefing | New York: Staten Island: More Weekend Ferries

Published: November 9, 2006

Managers of the Staten Island Ferry said yesterday that more frequent weekend service would begin on Saturday. The city's Transportation Department said it would add a total of 14 trips between Manhattan and Staten Island. Trips will be added between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Saturdays and between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Sundays, said Craig Chin, a spokesman for the Transportation Department.

An idea I've heard is to slap "Staten Island Ferry" on a bunch of crap and sell it to the tourists on the boat and in the terminals. They could make a boatload of money! Probably a lot easier and more realistic than charging tourists to ride.

Of course they could always just sell beer on board. I swear sometimes when I get off I feel like I'm underwriting the whole damn thing myself!

February 19, 2008, 5:16 pm

10-Ton Fish Tanks Will Greet Staten Island Ferry

By Sewell Chan

Children watched tropical fish swim in one of two giant fish tanks at the St. George ferry terminal on Staten Island. (Photo: Chester Higgins Jr./The New York Times)

Staten Islanders understandably have a special relationship with the ferry terminals that greet them each day on their commutes to and from work. How else can one explain the grand announcement today that New York City will spend $750,000 in capital funds to erect two eight-foot-tall saltwater tanks — each weighing more than 10 tons — to house 400 colorful fish at the St. George terminal?

The idea originated with the borough president, James P. Molinaro, who “was inspired by similar fish tanks” in a terminal at the Sarasota Bradenton International Airport in Florida. With support from Mayor Michael R.

Bloomberg, the city secured the money to build the fish tanks — along with a state-of-the-art filtration system that is being housed below the main waiting room at the St. George terminal. The city’s transportation commissioner, Janette Sadik-Khan, joined Mr. Molinaro, Mr. Bloomberg, other officials, schoolchildren, commuters and tourists for a ceremonial unveiling this morning of the fish tanks, which are so heavy that terminal floor had to be reinforced with steel beams before the tanks could be set in place.

The fish tanks generated no apparent problems or debate, in sharp contrast to a 1992 proposal by Venturi Scott Brown and Associates for an overhaul of the Whitehall terminal at the southern tip of Manhattan. That year, the Philadelphia-based architectural firm won a competition to erect a giant clock on the face of the Whitehall terminal, which had been damaged by fire in 1991. The giant clock quickly became an object of scorn and derision. Ideas for a digital version of the clock were similarly ridiculed.

The rebuilding of the Whitehall terminal, which was to have been completed by 1998, became hobbled by years of delay, outlasting two mayoral administrations. In 1997, the city’s Economic Development Corporation unveiled a simple, sleek glass design. It wasn’t until February 2005 that the rebuilt terminal finally opened. The St. George terminal, on the north shore of Staten Island, also was rebuilt, in a separate, less controversial project that concluded in May 2005.

No mention of the clock episode was made this morning, the focus being fixed squarely on the fish.

“The tanks will exert a calming influence on harried commuters, and hopefully encourage tourists to visit the rest of the animals at our world-famous Staten Island Zoo and our other great attractions,” Mr. Molinaro said in a statement.

Mr. Bloomberg added: “These beautiful tanks are destined to become a great new attraction on Staten Island — giving New Yorkers and tourists another reason for visiting this beautiful ferry terminal. With attractions like the Staten Island Zoo, the Staten Island Museum, and the recently-renovated St. George Theater, Staten Island has long been a dynamic cultural destination and these fish tanks will serve to enhance that.”

The fish tanks will be maintained by the Staten Island Zoo; the Richmond County Savings Foundation is providing financial support. A video showing
    how the fish tanks work can be found at Mr. Molinaro’s Web site.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company.

Gives you a little something to do for a few minutes in Staten Island to justify the only sporadically exciting ferry trip.

It may encourage tourists (like me) to stay awhile longer on Staten Island, rather than jump straight back on the same ferry boat.

Mystery deaths in S.I. ferry fish tanks

By MIKE JACCARINO AND CHRISTINA BOYLE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 4:00 AM

Oates for News.
    Crowd clusters around one of the two new saltwater fish tanks at the Staten Island ferry terminal.

There's something fishy going on at the Staten Island ferry terminal.
    Just two weeks after Mayor Bloomberg unveiled two new $750,000 saltwater tanks holding 400 tropical fish, several of the creatures have been found dead.

"Three or four have passed, maybe more," a maintenance worker at the ferry hub said Tuesday. "Someone comes and takes them away."

The reasons for the deaths remain a mystery.

One ferry rider fears there could be a predator in the tank that's attacking the other fish.

But officials said a few deaths are to be expected until the new tanks' ecosystems are established.

"When you open a fish tank, there's a period when everything gets acclimated," said Staten Island Deputy Borough President Ed Burke. "We expect from time to time to lose a fish, the tank is under lots of care."

Ferry riders seemed undeterred by the deaths Tuesday and continued to marvel at the tanks, which were funded by the borough's capital fund and are maintained by staff at Staten Island Zoo.

"So many fish in one tank, you wouldn't expect all of them to live. [It's] survival of the fittest," said Gregory Goffphine, 40, from Staten Island.

"I don't think it would bother me if I came here and saw one of the fish gone."

Copyright 2008 The Daily News.

Where's the ferry going?

LOL...WTH? Why is it going up the Hudson? Perhaps to a dry dock for repairs?

S.I. Attempts to Get People Off the Boat and on a Bus

Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times
    During a one-hour loop, Patricia McGann offered Staten Island facts and trivia. Many people just come for the view of Manhattan.

By APRIL DEMBOSKY
    Published: July 31, 2008

When the ferry docked at Staten Island, a wave of tourists funneled down the ramp and made a U-turn to board the same boat they had just gotten off.

Few seemed to have heard of anything worth sticking around for in New York City’s southernmost borough. Only a handful ventured over to the makeshift tourist kiosk at the ferry terminal.

“Yes, can you tell me where is Alcatraz?” one woman asked.

Andrew Yuen, 22, who was on duty at the kiosk, maintained a chipper demeanor in the face of such demoralizing questions. He cheerfully handed out maps and brochures, and directed a few people to the red faux trolley outside.

“There’s a tour bus that just opened three weeks ago,” he told one couple from England.

A man in a red vest picked up on Mr. Yuen’s cue and rushed to hand out a flier that begged, “Don’t hurry back on the ferry! New! Discover Staten Island Tour.” The salesman pointed to three small photos of unrecognizable tourist destinations and promised, “You’ll see this, this and this.”

The tour, Staten Island’s newest year-round attraction, is operated by Gray Line New York Sightseeing, which also runs bus tours of Manhattan and Brooklyn. In an hour, visitors get an overview of the island’s north shore. The $15 tour stops at places like the Snug Harbor Cultural Center; the house of Alice Austen, a pioneering photographer in the 19th century; and the Staten Island Zoo. Riders have the option of getting off at any of these places and catching the next trolley an hour later, but one tour guide said that most choose to stay in the bus.

“We’ll just wait to see the Bronx Zoo,” Karim Pacheco said.

Ms. Pacheco, 24, who is from Peru and studying English in Manhattan, brought two visitors from home — her mother and her mother’s friend — on the ferry. They happened upon the tourist kiosk and decided to take the tour.

“There’s an episode of ‘Sex and the City’ where Carrie takes the ferry to Staten Island,” Ms. Pacheco said. “I thought, since Carrie did it, I should do it.”

The bus rumbled along Davis Avenue, through a residential neighborhood of Cape Cod houses, then turned into the business district, a strip of single-story nail salons and pharmacies and a McDonald’s.

“Does this feel like New York City?” the tour guide, Patricia McGann, asked.

“Noooooooo,” the five passengers responded.

What Staten Island may lack in breathtaking skyscrapers, it makes up for in historical tidbits, most of them involving celebrities. The tour drove by the cream-colored stucco building of the Mandolin Brothers guitar shop, which has been visited by the likes of Jimmy Buffett, George Harrison and Suzanne Vega.

Joni Mitchell wrote a song called ‘Song for Sharon’ that starts, ‘I went to Staten Island, Sharon, to buy myself a mandolin,’ ” Ms. McGann said into the microphone.

After passing Wagner College, where Joan Baez’s father taught, the bus merged onto the Staten Island Expressway. Later, Ms. McGann pointed out the Stapleton station of the Staten Island Railway.

“That’s where Madonna filmed her music video for ‘Papa Don’t Preach,’ ” she said.

The more striking points on the tour are its architectural highlights. The Staten Island 9/11 Memorial displays on two wing-shaped walls portraits of the nearly 270 Staten Islanders who died in the terrorist attack.

Visitors standing between the walls look directly at the spot where the towers once stood.

Zach Moore, 17, came to the island specifically to see the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, which connects Staten Island and Brooklyn. The tour stops underneath it for eight minutes so passengers can get off the bus and take photos. “When we were at the Empire State Building, it was getting dark and we could see the green lights on the bridge,” Zach said.

“We said, ‘Oh, we should go see it.’ ”

The Staten Island Ferry is one of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City, drawing 1.5 million visitors every year, according to the borough president, James P. Molinaro.

Gray Line declined to say how many people had taken the tour so far, saying it often takes up to five years before a new tour catches on. But the company is optimistic that the numbers will grow as Staten Island — once reputed for its enormous Fresh Kills landfill, which has closed — earns some credibility in the tour books.

“It’s a huge market,” said Eva Lee, Gray Line’s tour guide manager. “And they should be educated that Staten Island is important.”

Though the borough does not support the tour financially, it has been investing resources in developing its tourism potential. With the help of foundation grants, Mr. Molinaro’s office recently printed brochures, installed a wide-screen high-definition television in the Manhattan ferry terminal advertising the island’s attractions, and plans to build a permanent tourist gazebo in the Staten Island terminal to replace the kiosk where Mr. Yuen, an intern in Mr. Molinaro’s office, was stationed.

Mr. Molinaro said he hoped that tourists who did take the tour would spend their money and spread the word about Staten Island’s parks, beaches and golf courses.

“We’re no longer the home of the largest dump in the world,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/ny...on&oref=slogin

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    I wonder if the city has ever thought of building an underwater subway, like the one in San Francisco.
    Actually there was a plan to build a tunnel from Bay Ridge across the narrows. The 4th Avenue BMT would have linked in with the Staten Island Railroad. They apparently built some of the facilities on the Brooklyn side, but they were decimated when Robert Moses build the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Some say that it was done intentionally.

NY1

Jury Selected For Two S.I. Ferry Crash Cases

August 04, 2008

Almost five years after the Staten Island Ferry crash, juries were selected Monday in Brooklyn Federal Court for two lawsuits filed against the city.

Eleven people were killed and many more hurt and permanently disfigured when the Andrew J. Barberi crashed into a pier near the St. George Ferry Terminal in October 2003.

Separate juries were selected Monday to determine damages owed to John Healy's estate and to another victim, James McMillin, who was left paralyzed from the neck down. McMillin's attorney says his client will need care for the rest of his life.

"I think you can imagine what his pain and suffering is - not being able to do things for himself, not being able to dress himself and some unspeakable things that other people do for him," said McMillin's lawyer Evan Torgan.

The city has settled the majority of the 126 claims resulting from the deadly crash for just over $37 million. The highest payout so far has been $9 million. But attorneys for the Healy and McMillin families say the city has yet to come up with numbers to satisfy their clients.

"The City of New York can't come up with that number, so on that basis, this case must proceed to trial," said Anthony Bisignano, the attorney for the family of John Healy.

Kathy Healy, who lost her husband John, is now left to care for their four children alone.

"There's not a day that goes by where we don't think about him. Same thing with my children. It's been very tough," said Healy

The cases are expected to set a precedent for future payouts.

Earlier this year, a judge ruled the city could not limit liability in the case because it failed to enforce a rule requiring two pilots to be on board.

They City's Law Department would not comment on pending litigation, however, a spokeswoman did release a statement saying: "The ferry crash was a terrible tragedy and the city remembers the victims and their families."

Both court dates are set for August 25th.

NY1

Updated 1:13 PM

Family Of Ferry Crash Victim Settles With City

The family of one the victims of the Staten Island Ferry crash announced today that it has settled its wrongful death claim against the city for $8.75 million.

John Healy was one of the 11 people killed in the crash of the Andrew J. Barberi in October 2003.

Healy left behind a wife and four children.

The case went before a mediator, after the family and city were unable to reach a settlement. Healy's attorney said they arrived at the final number after two days of talks.

Opening arguments began today in another case, that of James McMillan, who was left paralyzed from the neck down in the crash.

The city has already settled 126 claims for more than $37 million. A federal judge denied the city's request to cap its liability earlier this year.

NY1 has reached out to the city for comment on both cases.

NY1

09/10/2008 08:35 AM

Jury Recommends That City Pay $22.9 To Ferry Crash Victim

A jury yesterday recommended the city pay out its biggest award yet to a man paralyzed in the Staten Island Ferry crash.

Jurors in Brooklyn Federal Court found the city should pay James McMillan $22.9 million for medical costs and pain and suffering.

The city Law Department says despite the severity of McMillan's the jury's award is excessive. The city hopes to have the award reduced by a judge.

Eleven people were killed when the Andrew J. Barberi crashed into a pier near the St. George Ferry Terminal in October of 2003.

NY1

10/14/2008 08:56 PM

Victims Says He Is Still Haunted By S.I. Ferry Crash

Wednesday marks the fifth anniversary of the deadly Staten Island Ferry crash. While sweeping changes have been made to the boats, and millions of dollars have been paid in settlements in the years since, victims say the accident still seems like yesterday. NY1's Amanda Farinacci filed the following report.

Since the crash of the Andrew J. Barberi, Lloyd Joseph, 67, says there is not a day that goes by that he does not think of the accident. The former construction worker suffered serious injuries to his back and left leg, causing him to walk slowly and oftentimes with a cane.

"I have to thank my lucky stars that I got away with what I got away with, because the person who was next to me, he died, and the person who was sitting next to me died," said Joseph.

Joseph is one of 198 ferry riders who filed personal injury claims against the city; 132 have been settled for a total of more than $75 million.

The city was hoping to cap the damages to $14.4 million, based on an old maritime law that limited damages equal to the value of the vessel.

But in March, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the city can be held fully liable for the deadly crash, because Assistant Captain Richard Smith was alone in the wheelhouse – in violation of regulations, which investigators said were seldom enforced – when he blacked out, leaving the ferry to ram into a concrete pier.

Investigators say Smith was suffering from extreme fatigue and was on painkillers.

"It is frustrating when you realize that this wasn't something like an act of God or something," said Joseph. "But to know that this could have been avoided if these people had been doing their job."

Joseph has taken the ferry since the crash. But he says he's still got vivid memories of the accident he believes will haunt him forever.

"Sometimes, you know, you get nightmare, and you think after all these years, you'll get it out of your head, but you still get a lot of nightmares though," he said.

Since the crash, the Department of Transportation has revamped its entire ferry system, improving technology and raising standards for its employees.

Joseph says he believes the new safety standards could have helped that day.

"They call the workers and tell them, 'prepare for docking,'" he said. "So, from way out there, they know, the ferry cuts its speed down, and all that sort of thing. But that never happened that day."

Joseph recently settled his suit with the city – for just over a million dollars. While he still needs morel surgery to his leg, he says he's happy to be alive, and working every day to put the crash behind him.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast