Thread: Is there a scenic train ride out of Manhattan?

Default Is there a scenic train ride out of Manhattan?

Coming to Manhattan for the first time in Oct. for seven days with wife… from Las Vegas and thought that a train ride (never been on one) for the day either to Cold Springs or out to the end of Long Island might be in order. Would the scenery be better on one trip as apposed to the other? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tom

Pretty much all the rail lines I know of leave Manhattan under ground. But they reappear at points where you get a decent view of the city from either New Jersey or elsewhere. If you go south or west from Penn Station you get a view over a hill in New Jersey. Not a fantastic view though.

Two words, my friends: Metro North. *Catch a train out of magnificent Grand Central station and ride along the Hudson. * And it's air-conditioned.

Forum Veteran

The ride along the Hudson is pretty damn nice. *But, I assume the ride to the Hampton area is ok, the destination is pretty nice, though. *

Take the PATH or Ferry to Hoboken Terminal and take the NJ Transit/Metro North Port Jervis line to Port Jervis.

Excellent scenary!

I've never taken the Port Jervis line, but a ferry ride to Hoboken is scenic. *Hoboken terminal is gorgeous, too, same era as Grand Central.

My husband and I are going to NY in October and we booked a ride on Amtrak for their Adirondack Fall FoilageTour for our last two days there. You can go to the amtrak.com site and look it up. Ours is a 10 hour ride up through the Adirondacks into Montreal where we will spend the night and come back the next day, but I believe you can get off somewhere closer and then catch anothet train back into Manhattan, making it a one day trip.

^ Sounds interesting... I will look it up! Thanks.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa
    My husband and I are going to NY in October and we booked a ride on Amtrak for their Adirondack Fall FoilageTour for our last two days there. You can go to the amtrak.com site and look it up. Ours is a 10 hour ride up through the Adirondacks into Montreal where we will spend the night and come back the next day, but I believe you can get off somewhere closer and then catch anothet train back into Manhattan, making it a one day trip.
    That's going to be a great trip. Enjoy.

Forum Veteran

Nice view of Manhattan from Amtrak coming from CT, though it's expensive (relatively) to ride Amtrak vs. metro north up that way. A nice day trip would be Amtrak to Mystic.

Default From Boston

I took trains from Boston. I rode along the ocean in Ct. I'm not sure of the exact route in N.Y. I think the train used the triborough bridge area and then Queens. The panoramic views of upper Manhattan were breathtaking! I ended the ride at Penn Station.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyz
    Coming to Manhattan for the first time in Oct. for seven days with wife… from Las Vegas and thought that a train ride (never been on one) for the day either to Cold Springs or out to the end of Long Island might be in order. Would the scenery be better on one trip as apposed to the other? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tom

The scenery on the Hudson line up to Cold Spring is absolutely beautiful. There are green mountains and hills. It's stunning.