Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Graffiti

Forum Veteran

Indeed. This has some artistic significance.

June 6, 2004

MILL BASIN

At a Wall That Invited Graffiti, Everyone's an Art Critic

By JAKE MOONEY

With signed limited-edition prints by the artists Roy Lichtenstein, Erté and Steve Kaufman hanging on its walls, the Mill Basin Delicatessen in Brooklyn is hardly your typical sandwich shop.

So when the police caught local teenagers spraying graffiti on a nearby plywood construction fence a few weeks ago, the owner of the shop and the 116-foot fence, Mark Schachner, made an atypical decision: Rather than press charges against the offenders, he put up a sign inviting others to paint freely, without fear of punishment.

Mr. Schachner, who also owns an art gallery nearby, calls the result vibrant street art. Some of his neighbors are much less complimentary.

Carla Goodman, who lives near the deli, which is at 5823 Avenue T, said on Tuesday that offensive words had sometimes been painted on the wall, and that young painters had caused disturbances late at night or at times they should have been in school. "This is not what we're used to," she said. "We're used to a very quiet residential area."

Mr. Schachner, meanwhile, said last week that in response to neighborhood pressure, he would ask graffiti writers to stop the painting, against his better judgment. "I thought it was beautiful and nice," he said, "and then everyone became an art critic." On Thursday, Mr. Schachner said he had received an offer from a Florida collector who wanted to buy part of the wall.

Outside, a veteran graffiti writer who paints under the name Hef1 said on Tuesday that he had read about the wall in a local newspaper. (An article about the wall was published on May 24 in The Brooklyn Skyline, a weekly.) He had made the trip from East Williamsburg, he said, to show people what good, careful graffiti writing looks like.

Nearby, two 19-year-old artists were putting the finishing touches on a sprawling collage of words and names rendered in bright-colored spray paint. "This is basically what it would look like if graffiti writers had time to do what they wanted to do without being chased by the cops," said one, who goes by the name Ranz.

His friend agreed: "This is what graffiti would be if it wasn't illegal."

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

Yeah, if it wasn't illegal, it would be like this everywhere!!!

BS guys, if you know what you are doing is wrong, DON'T DO IT!

You are EXTREMELY naieve to believe that making it legal would put a stop to the one-color name painters. It would also RUIN a lot of GOOD architecture, since the motivation has always been to go where you are not allowed to.

So whatever. If someone allows you to paint on their wall, go to it. Otherwise keep your cans to yourself.

Banned Member

I don't know about making it legal as much as dedicating spaces to the creation of this art form. The lower east side used to have some of the most amazing murals by "graffiti" artists. Dedicated spaces and well planned murals can greatly enhance a neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I don't know about making it legal as much as dedicating spaces to the creation of this art form. The lower east side used to have some of the most amazing murals by "graffiti" artists. Dedicated spaces and well planned murals can greatly enhance a neighborhood.
    Planned murals are fine, but that is not really grafitti.

grafitti is the marking of territory, usually performed by youth. Whether it be a tree (Bobby -heart- Cindy) or on a desk, on a locker OR on a boxcar (Neidz, John, J-Man, whatever) or wall, it is the human version of pissing on a tree so that all others that come to sniff it recognise it.

We even do it nowadays on things like websites. Leave your mark.

So the form of expression is now acnowledged, but the roots are still undesirable....

I think that there should be a 'Wall Park' somewhere. That way people can go there and paint the walls with their art and it will become a tourist destination. :P

Banned Member

We should distinguish between tagging and graffiti.

Forum Veteran

Tagging is just as nasty, as is etching. A lot of the new Division-A subway cars are already showing some scars.

Have any of you found bars with great bathroom grafitti? The best I've seen is at Baramundi on Ludlow Street.

Banned Member

CBGB would be the milestone against which all others wuld be judged.

I hate it when the scratch the windows on subways with tags. They look so ugly and awful. They have to replace every window.

When I was in Queens in the 80's in middle school I had a tag name. But I only wrote it on notebooks and draw pictures. One day these two 'thugs' (classmates) came and saw my tag name and they told me that they like it and that the tag name belong it to them.

I comply of course and told them they could have it. When they left I started to write my tag name again with the drawings. How will they now I was using it again?

Later my mother will throw away my tag notebook and I never saw it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Tagging is just as nasty, as is etching. A lot of the new Division-A subway cars are already showing some scars.
    You mean Scratch-iti?

You can get aerosol glass etching (frosting) chemicals that eat into the surface of windows. I drips and usually looks pretty messy, but there is no buffing it out, or repainting.

An example on a storefront:

CBGB seems to be a case of quantity over quality graffiti. Anyone can write the f-word and call it a day, but it takes a true artist to scribble something that will keep you either snickering or scratching your head for the rest of the night.

While I appreciate the visual art of graffiti, I reserve my love for the literary aspect. Some of the most heart-breaking things I've ever seen were written on walls. About a year ago, when I was going through a particularly trying time in my life, I kept a written exchange with an anonymous kindred spirit on a subway service change notice.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge

You mean Scratch-iti?
    Yes'm.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast