Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Graffiti

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    How charming of them to travel here to **** up our trains.
    Yes. Next time I'm in Copenhagen I'll be sure to take a s__ on the sidewalk to repay the favor.

I don't refute any of the negative aspects of graffiti, yet I find this image extemely intriguing. I've never seen a (newer) train with graffiti approaching anything nearly as complicated and artful as this piece.

Consider what these vandals must have gone through in order to create it, all the while knowing that it would last for a few hours at most.

The subway trains are taken to a secure cleaning facility each night for cleaning, and are otherwise kept in a secured yard when not in service. Because the piece is quite complicated, I would assume it took a considerable amount of time to create it. That means they broke into the storage yard, presumably at night after the car was cleaned, and due to the intricate colors and patterns involved, probably used some lighting to see what they were doing. Somehow, they took the risk to overcome a mind-boggling level of difficulty in order to create the piece.

The NYC system is so clean these days that there are virtually no (non-scratched) tags anywhere, especially on the exterior of the cars.

"On May 12, 1989 the MTA declared a victory over graffiti. The MTA set in effect a policy of removing all marked subway cars from service. The objective being no graffiti will run. This was the birth of what is known as the Clean Train movement. There are many writers who believe subway painting is the defining act in being a writer. Walls, freights, scraps, and canvas are for fake writers. These writers refuse to give up the battle against the MTA. Even though works do not run or only run for one trip many people still write."
    Last edited by asg; August 7th, 2005 at 10:16 AM.

^ The train yards used to be a place for writers to bring their cans for a few hours and bomb multi-colored huge pieces. These were artists, and the problems of NYC back then were many, but none of them had to do with giving some color to bland subway cars. But the city shut that down anyway, and now graffiti has spread to the highways and streets...which is even more interesting

Anyone who thinks it is OK to spray paint someone else's property without their permission needs to be sent back to grade school for some lessons in morals. BTW, 99.9% of the graffiti you see around this city is complete crap, just the usual mix of people's names, profanities, hate speech and such. The balance has the artistic value of what you might find in a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    Anyone who thinks it is OK to spray paint someone else's property without their permission needs to be sent back to grade school for some lessons in morals. BTW, 99.9% of the graffiti you see around this city is complete crap, just the usual mix of people's names, profanities, hate speech and such. The balance has the artistic value of what you might find in a comic book.
    Like I said, writers dont care what you think. Only in your little imaginary world of ignorance is most graffiti done on private property, or about hate speech, or that comic book artists arent "real" artists...

Quote Originally Posted by nym9
    Like I said, writers dont care what you think
    Regardless of the artistic merits, not caring what others think is a self-centered attitude characteristic of the worldview of children.

I doubt that, generally, the objective is to "give some car to bland subway cars;" more likely it is the thrill of overcoming obstacles (breaking into trainyards) to put one over on the authorities (adults).

It is the equivalent of leaving your mark on something. Humans are ALWAYS doing that, from kids to adults, from smart to dumb as drywall.

These guys want to be seen, and known. There is a thrill for going against the rules and rebelling against the system, and a FEW take pride in the style/skill/and their definition of artistry.

Now I agree that some of these are indeed eye-catching, but I really do NOT want to see "Jiazz" in some wacked out trippin color scheme painted across the back wall of my condo. AAMOF, it was one reason I did not like Park Slope, the lame attempt to "carve their name in a tree" type vandalisim Urban Style is very VERY off-putting.

If someone is given permission to paint a public wall and do some work, I have little problem with it (outside the normal concerns akin to painting your 2 story colonial Bright Pink right next to everyones modest conservative ones...). There are, and were some great murals and collages around the city that were just that. But the ones that are just acts of societal rebellion and name making I have no respect for. Especially when ant 2 bit punk can come along and scribble his crap on top of someone elses mural just because they feel like it.

When an "artistic form" disrespects even its own fellow "artisans" in such a blatant way, one has to question the merit of the art in its entirety.

And I do not think you guys should go crap on their sidewalk. Find where these guys live and invite that woman from "Trading Spaces" to redecorate their living room. That should be punishment enough. (Chicken Feathers anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Regardless of the artistic merits, not caring what others think is a self-centered attitude characteristic of the worldview of children
    spoken like a non-artist

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    When an "artistic form" disrespects even its own fellow "artisans" in such a blatant way, one has to question the merit of the art in its entirety
    Art is anything you can get away with. The city is a canvas, you either understand or you dont. Those who dont are either new to NYC, or just plain old.

spoken like a non-artist
    Explain why that statement is something a non artist would state.

It has nothing to do with art.

nym, I'm neither new to NYC or just plain old. Mind if I come over to your apartment building later with some phat aerosol cans? I got some fresh tags that I'm just itching to put on the canvas that is your home--er, I mean, the city.

Art is anything you can get away with. The city is a canvas, you either understand or you dont. Those who dont are either new to NYC, or just plain old.

Um, no.

I have disliked it all my life and I have been in this area a good ammount of time.

How old are you that you use the term "old" as if it was an insult? Ah, I get it, if you have experience and respect for things, that is BAD, oh, ok.....

How can you respect an ART that willingly and willfully damages the art of others? Not just architecture, but OTHER PEOPLES WALL MURALS!

I have no respect for any "painter" that insists on using someone elses canvases.

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    nym, I'm neither new to NYC or just plain old. Mind if I come over to your apartment building later with some phat aerosol cans? I got some fresh tags that I'm just itching to put on the canvas that is your home--er, I mean, the city.
    I would do the same with his car, but I do not think he is "old" enough to drive...

Banned Member

I always thought that "tagging" was the way that illiterate morons found their way home. It doesn't really spell anything, but it is rather like a trail of litter for them to follow back to their squalid little world of disrespect.

On the other hand, graffiti artists in the East Village created majestic, inspired and politically vibrant pieces of art - that showed respect for culture, community and ART.

They took a place left to rot and enlivened it with art. Tagging is not "art". Tagging is the same as dumping garbage out your window at night because you know no one will see you do it. Everyone wakes up in the morning and deals with the smell, while the dumper chuckles because he or she got away with it. Nothing says "ghetto" quite like tagging.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

There was an article (I believe it was the L.A. times) a few years back about tagging. Apparantly a lot of it is a unique language that tells other people the relative ease or hinderances to conducting business in the area, much like hobo's markings. The hired some guys in L.A. to decipher the tags and they solved some problems that way.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast