Thread: Skyline Hotel 10th Avenue - How is the area?

Default Skyline Hotel 10th Avenue - How is the area?

I will be a first time visitor to New York and I have a reservation at the Skyline Hotel on 10th Avenue, but I am not sure how the area is. *How safe is it? *Is it too dangerous for 2 women to be walking around alone? *Any help would be aprreciated.
    Thanks

Forum Veteran

Default Skyline Hotel 10th Avenue

If you could tell us what street it's on, I could do a check of crime statistics for that precinct so you could get a general idea of how safe it is.

Most neighborhoods in New York are safe, just so long as you take certain precautions that you might take in Vegas, or LA, or Chicago. *Very few people would ever attempt to accost you during the day; most homeless people are generally harmless and will probably bother you just ask you for some spare change. *At night, if you're wary about walking around, be sure to avoid side streets—one-way crosstown streets generally fronted by walk-ups—as much as possible, and stay in well-lit, well-travelled areas with lots of other people around. *And if you feel that someone is following you, it helps to start acting crazy if they get too close for comfort. *Believe me, this works; just start thrashing around and scream incoherent phrases, like "The bees! *The bees!", or something of that nature. *New Yorkers generally back off if we think you're psychotic.

The subways are safe during the day and relatively safe at night. *If you do take the subway at night, stand far from the edge of the platform and ride either in the front car where the driver is, or the middle car where the conductor is. *It's a general consensus that you shouldn't ride in the rear car of a subway train during off-peak hours.

Other than that, there's very little to be afraid of, provided that you also look both ways before crossing the street. *Have fun, and have a safe trip!

It is on 10th near 49th. *Thanks for the tips. *I live in New Orleans, and I figure it is not going to be too different from walking in the French Quarter, but you can't believe everything you see on tv (because Mardi Gras is only 2 weeks out of the year, but if you see it on tv, it is all day everyday).
    Thanks for checking it out for me.

The area is safe, but it's not a touristy neighborhood, it's residential, and not upscale for that matter.