Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age Restrictions

Default Age Restrictions

Hi, I am from England and I plan to travel to New York City in the winter (Around Christmas). However I will only be 18 years old when I depart and therefore I'm unsure whether I'd be able to stay in a hotel at that age. What is the minimum age limit to stay alone in a New York city hotel... I'm very much interested in the Grand Hyatt on 42nd street.

I have been to NYC before, last Summer and I could only stay for one day as I was unable to get a room being 17.

Thanks in advance.

Default 18 year old in New York

You should have no problem at eighteen.

Do I need to have a Credit Card though, Visa?

Be ready to leave a cash deposit if you don't have a credit card.

Also concerning age restrictions, do you have to be 21 to watch any of the "Tonight" shows etc. This is what I heard.

Thanks

I saw the Conan Obrien show when I was 19, but I was with older people.

I have looked around hundreds of sites and now I'm really confused. Different sites say different things... Either that 18 is the minimum check-in age or that 21 is!

I have made my plan (Or at least the one in which I hope to do)

I want to stay at the Grand Hyatt next to the Chrysler building for 2 nights and then 3 nights in The Plaza... But I cannot find anyone or any website that will confirm that I can stay or that I'm too young... Please help.

Could you just phone the hotels and ask?

Well I live in England and the cost of ringing New York would be a little bit on the massive side. I have e-mailed them plenty of times and I'm yet to receive a reply.

Forum Veteran

Give the places you want to contact and I'll give them a call for you - if I have the time (so not too many, damnit).

Well Thank you very much. The hotels are.

Grand Hyatt
    The Plaza

Thanks again.

18 appears to be the highest restriction... not 21.

The Late Show with David Letterman is 18. *Here is the info on getting tickets -
    http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...o_ticket.shtml

Late Night with Conan O'Brien & Saturday Night Live are both 16 and up. Here is info for both. Phone only. http://www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/Tickets.shtml

it looks like you will need to request tickets months in advance or ASAP. *The ones I listed are the major 'tonight' shows in New York. * Here is another link with info.
    http://www.studioaudiences.com/latenight/

there you go, hope that helps unless you found out already.

Thanks a lot for the links AJphx that's made me much happier

However I am still perplexed over the Hotel situation as I am still getting mixed opinions and answers, and I don't know who to trust. I certainly don't want to travel all the way over to New York to discover infact my hotel reservation is invalid because of my age.

Forum Veteran

Ok,

18 is old enough for both.

The Plaza requires a major credit card (Visa, MC, AMEX, etc) to hold the room, at least.

The Hyatt requires $50 per night cash deposit, and it must be sent by 7 days in advance to reserve the room. *You can simply reserve the room with credit and pay with cash, even if it is reserved with someone else's credit card.

Hope this helps. *Good luck.

Bill

Top Man.... Thanks very much BillyblancoNYC. That's perfect!

Does this mean I can reserve rooms in both hotels with say... My parents credit card and when I turn 18 use my own credit card to sign in and pay?

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast