Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CyberCenter - Durst - West 57th

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    It'll also hide Hearst.

Btw, a question no one has answered: Is there a cyber center?
    No.. there is no cyber Center at all at that location. The blank wall is from the Helena building. The lot next door is owned by the owners of the helena. I guess they want to built there in the future. Maybe after they lease all the rentals in the Helena? Who knows.

A new 50-story tower by FxFowle... Helena 2?

http://www.3d-win.com/
    Last edited by krulltime; April 15th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Very nice. Beats having a faceless cybercenter bunker that's for sure.
    Btw, how do you know this is the correct site?

^ Ok I tell you how I figure the site...

I compare this photo below that you posted with the rendering one... Since it says West 57th street, it is a hint.. Look at the roof of the Helena and compare it to the roof of the building on the same block and it is a match! Also the small building on the left shown is the same small yellowish brick building you can see on the photo. Also the corner of a building that you see on the right of the photo it is the new trash truck garage been built. What do you think?

By the way antinimby, there was never a cyber center built on the site... that faceless wall you see next to the Helena... It is part of the Helena itself.
    Last edited by krulltime; June 20th, 2006 at 12:09 AM.

The Dude Abides

So how come there aren't any renderings of this on either FX Fowle's site or Durst's? (Not necessarily asking you, krulltime, just wondering aloud.) That is a pretty good-looking residential, though. I hope someone, somewhere, is seriously considering building it.

I see what you mean, krulltime.
    Are those two low-rise sections to the east and north, part of the building's base? The one to the east looks like a parking garage.

Anyway, even if this is not where the cybercenter is, something will go there. A large vacant lot like this won't sit very long (except Times Square Plaza ).

Cool, I only expected a 30 story building here.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; September 20th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

First it is was the NY CyberCenter, then the Nations Academy school, now it seems the New York Proton Center will rise here. The 11,000 SF in retail is good news.

Crain's NY
    September 14, 2010 2:11 PM

Cutting-edge cancer center bound for West Side
    State expected to approve $235 million proton-beam cancer treatment center, called the New York Proton Center, to open in 2014 on West 57th Street.

By Barbara Benson

New York is poised to join the handful of states possessing the latest cutting-edge weapon in the battle against cancer: proton beam therapy. If all regulatory approvals fall into place, the state is expected to greenlight sometime this fall a $235 million proton-beam cancer treatment center in Manhattan to open in 2014, backed by five leading local hospitals.

The proposed Manhattan facility, the New York Proton Center, is slated to begin construction at 621 W. 57th St. next February. The building will include 11,670 square feet of retail space on the ground floor, a two-level underground garage and two levels of medical office space. The 241,220 square-foot structure will rise five stories on the block next to St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital....Read More

So the residential plot is no more?

The residential plot is just to the west of this. This fits between the Helena and "The Rose."

The Marriott Courtyard should also make an appearance in that last shot just to the south of the Random House tower.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...elfth-avenue-3

No More Teachers, No More Books at Hell's Kitchen Durst Site
    Friday, November 5, 2010, by Pete Davies
    Share0

A Durst proposal from the past: The Rose residential tower at Twelfth at 57th.
    A big block of land at 625 West 57th Street, owned by the Durst Organization, has a new plan in the works, and to make it happen a West Side oldie is about to come down. The humble Artkraft Strauss Sign Corp. warehouse has faced the Hudson River from across Twelfth Avenue for generations. With its classic hand-painted sign, this is where the old Times Square neon supersigns were built. Artkraft has moved onto bigger digs and its old home will now make way for a new five-story commercial building. This plan from Durst supersedes the previously proposed six-story ultra-private school that was to rise at mid-block next door to The Helena, a Durst luxury rental on Eleventh Avenue. But now it appears that classrooms are out and offices are in.

If at first Durst don't succeed, try try again. >>
    That school, called the Nations Academy, was a dream of Christopher Whittle, the former owner of Esquire. But the Durst-Whittle deal fell apart following the financial freeze in 2008, only to re-emerge the next year when new financing was put in place. A plush and private plan from architects Perkins Eastman never got off the ground and now the Academy that wouldn't die is, once again, a no-go here. Despite some fanfare a year ago trumpeting anew the Whittle scheme, the Nations Academy website has disappeared into the ether.

Durst's new commercial and retail proposal is from SLCE Architects. The most recent filings at the Department of Buildings show that the latest plan is to build on the full remainder of the block, a mega-plot measuring 550' x 200' where Durst once proposed construction of a cybercenter and then a residential tower called The Rose. But that's all in the past. Now, as detailed in the latest Schedule A, there will be lots of parking down low, with retail at street level and offices on floors 3 through 5. To the north across 58th Street it will face the grand old IRT Powerhouse by McKim, Mead, and White, a Beaux Arts beauty that preservationists are trying to get protected.

The two-story Artkraft Strauss building at the west end of the site, a colorful chunk of funk that was a favorite canvas of street artists, greets drivers barreling down from the elevated West Side Highway. Inside, artist Dean Radinovsky recently built a cinder block chapel of lights and memorialized it on YouTube. The old Artkraft pile is now being prepped for imminent demolition: doors are padlocked, broken windows abound and a little Bobcat chews away at the innards. Another old timer bites the dust, but the Dursts are moving on.
    ˇ Luxury Renters Get Advance Word of Incoming Kiddie Invasion [Curbed]
    ˇ 625 West 57th Street coverage [Curbed]
    ˇ New Building Application - 625 West 57th Street [DOB]

From Curbed commenters to that ^ article ...

Um, I have a secret about this site I can't share but I can promise SLCE is only the executive architect. You're going to be in for a rather pleasant surprise. Oh, and it's not going to be offices.

And:

And yes, it will be well over 5 stories. Because of NYC's wonderful bureaucracy, you often have to get creative with how things are filed while you are waiting on, say, another agencies approval.

Plus an update:

@guest #2: The current plan shown in applications at DOB is only for the 5-story commercial building. But zoning was approved for a much bigger project in the past, as partially chronicled in this multi-page "ZONING EXHIBIT I - CERTIFICATION":

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=SC133293033

Currently the "latest plan" linked in the article above shows this:

Development Challenge Process is pending Zoning Approval.

Here's what Durst had to say back in 2001 / 2002 when the cybercenter was in the works:

Mr. Durst said he planned to begin demolition on the site in August for the first phase of the project, a 420,000-square-foot building. He will add office space and possibly a residential tower in two successive stages, he said.

Full article (and more) archived at Wired New York:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...ull=1#post2228

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    From Curbed commenters to that ^ article ...

Um, I have a secret about this site I can't share but I can promise SLCE is only the executive architect. You're going to be in for a rather pleasant surprise. Oh, and it's not going to be offices.
    I wonder if they plan to build a tower above the podium when the market improves.

This area is starting to turn around, and as more buildings come to the area and stabilize it, I hope that some truly amazing architecture rises. This area will offer utterly amazing views of the park, the river and all of Manhattan. Therefore, it will be a real waste if Kondylis-style crap rises here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast