Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new crop of signature buildings

Default A new crop of signature buildings

It looks weird. I'm skeptical about its very dark color.
    It is weird, its contextual in that its industrial, but its largely modernist.

Wow I realy like the building design he did for La Defense. *Does a building like this that is proposed for one site/city ever get built in another city after being rejected?

Nice. This guy is a great architect. This building is really amazing and out of the norm, yet not extremly abnormal.

Quote: from Zoe on 10:52 am on Mar. 9, 2003
    Wow I realy like the building design he did for La Defense. *Does a building like this that is proposed for one site/city ever get built in another city after being rejected?
    We'll see if the Grollo Tower that was rejected in Melbourne is finally built in Dubai. (I vaguely think it's Dubai, but I'm not sure...)

Nouvel's got kind of a Dr. Evil thing going on:

Another view:

Yes. And he often wears a black hat too.
    I met the man in person a couple of years ago.
    He was more interested in his pretty japanese admirers than in me.

I love this building. It will have such a prominent location. For those that know the site, it will fit with its surroundings without being drearily contextual. The site is currently a large parking lot.

dbhstockton- I couldn't agree more re. the silliness of the landmarking crowd- a bunch of anti-everythings. The neighborhood is primarily parking lots and low- slung industrial buildings. It’s hardly appropriate for landmarking. *No one cared about landmarking the district until developers became interested in the parking lots. Once the Meat Market began gentrifying, Villagers started waxing poetic on the beauty of the area. Whatever. I like the neighborhood’s current edginess, but these new hotels will only improve the area. Both new hotels (Nouvel and the Gansevoort) are bring built on parking lots. No harm done. The area will never be mistaken for Midtown.

OKoranjes- I think your idea that “big buildings only belong in areas with other big buildings” is frankly silly. If this were the case, New York would have the exact same streetscape as in the 19th century. Certainly no Empire State Building- NY would be a minor east coast city instead of the capital of the world.

Forum Veteran

Not sure about the market, but they do need to keep out the residential development.

This area is still a meatpacking area, but now with bars, clubs, etc thrown in. The minute a building is made residential, is the minute the complaints start pouring in about smells, noise, etc. *

So what? Neighborhoods change roles with the times. To attempt to freeze them is absurd, and when the fading role is far from glorious it becomes ridiculous. That they are actually considering it shows how morbid the mentality of many New Yorkers has become. The laws should be changed; the preservation movement has been perverted.

The developer canceled the lowrise buildings hoping that a reduction in size would help his project's approval. Now that it is as-of-right perhaps they will be built. They would help integrate the section of the High Line in a dramatic way.
    Last edited by Kris; October 4th, 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Forum Veteran

True, but b/c of the NIMBYism of many NYers, if people bagan living here in droves, then the nightlife factor of this area will be greatly compromised, as it has been almost everywhere else in the city.

People live/come in/to NY for many reasons, one of them being a vibrant, diverse, pentiful nightlife. *NYC has already seen it's danceclubs getting trashed to the point that it's losing it's world-class status. *We don't need one of the few bastions of nightlife promise to be compromised by cranky million dollar loft owners.

I love development just like anyone else on this board and I am NOT for stiffling new building, but certain uses fit certain areas. *It's like going into LIC and getting rid of ALL the factories, etc, and telling the thousands *of workers "bye." *The city needs jobs and it needs nightlife. *The hotel sounds great, maybe throw in some office space for fashion, design, etc.

What will these NIMBY's do next, call for the entire city to turn back into its 19th century cityscape? No wait, they want to turn it into another 19th-century Beacon Hill, where there is neither skscrapers nor nightlife nor even large loft buildings.

HAS ANYONE SEEN RENZO PIANOS NEW YORK TIMES TOWER BEING BUILT NEXT YEAR ON 8TH AND 41ST?

Forum Veteran

Yes, there are several threads here about it.

Grow a brain, do a search then read the forum rules of conduct in Forum Issues.

Get a life I guess your the local cop heh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast