Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archstone Clinton - 515 West 52nd Street - Hell's Kitchen - by FX Fowle

Forum Veteran

Larger renderings by Scott Baumberger

The view North from 52nd Street, the site of the North tower of Clinton Green. 9 April 2005.

Default Construction

I have heard that Bovis Lend Lease will be starting construction within the next couple weeks. I'm assuming the demolition of the 53rd Streets buildings will be starting shortly.

It looks like a building permit has been issued for the south building but I can't find the north.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...5C771FECD08671

NYPOST:

SWEET DEAL HAS TOWERS LOOMING

By LOIS WEISS

THE Dermot Company and its joint venture partner, Archstone Smith, closed a deal yesterday with the city's Department of Housing Preservation and Development for a 700,000-foot, two-building project now dubbed The Mosaic.

"The price, including the build-out of 50,000 square feet for two theaters, is in excess of $80 a foot," said Stephen Benjamin, a principal of Dermot, which was chosen as the winning bidder a long two years ago, beating out a trio of competitors.

Back then, the Dermot deal seemed riskier because in the surreal estate world of chutes and ladders, it's sometimes hard to tell what rung you're on.

Since then, values have skyrocketed to at least $250 a foot, so it appears now as if Dermot got the steal of this century while the city wuz robbed.

"That's called luck," laughed Benjamin.

Previously known as Clinton Green, The Mosaic project is between 10th and 11th avenues.

Mosaic Downtown, a 24-story tower, will rise midblock between 51st and 52nd streets. The other slightly larger 24-story building known as Mosaic Uptown will rise on 10th Avenue's western block-front from 52nd to 53rd street.

The entire project will be built by Bovis and includes costly development over the Amtrak rail tracks.

When completed in the fall of 2007, the buildings will host 627 rental apartments and six loft condominiums built over two theaters, an accessory garage and street retail.

Built under the 80/20 program, 126 apartments will house lower-income families: 68 in the Uptown tower and 58 in the Downtown.

Designed by Fox & Fowle Architects to meet the environmentally friendly Leeds standards, the project will include turbine-generated power produced onsite.

A glazed arcade and block-through connection will include a play area near the Oasis Community Garden.

The theater building will host the locally based Intar and Ensemble Studio Theater companies at a rent designed just to cover costs, Benjamin said.

Amenities include a health club, tenant lounge, media room and library, along with a cafe in each tower.

The developers worked with Housing Preservation and Development, Community Board 4 and Councilwoman Christine Quinn to implement a design in context with the neighborhood.

Financing of around $300 million was provided by tax-exempt bonds from the New York State Housing Finance Agency, while Bank of America is providing the letter of credit as the lead construction lender.

DONE DIGS: Deal has been sealed on construction of The Mosaic (shown in rendering above), a two-tower project on the West Side.

Default Construction

I see that the sites are under construction. They have several of the old buildings down.

Default 783 Tenth Avenue

The site of 783 Tenth Avenue. 26 July 2005.

I am happy to see these guys going up!

Has anyone noticed the walls being built for the train tracks on the site. You can pass by on 52nd Street and see down into the holes.

There are five or six renderings/maps of the project on the Fox and Fowle website under Residential. I'd copy them here but they're in Flash format and I don't know how to do that.

I think this is a great project because it transforms basically wasteland into something useful, thereby improving the neighborhood tremendously. For the same reason, I forgive Trump Place some of its banality, because it is, at the end of the day, tranforming something useless.

http://www.fxfowle.com/

The site of Mosaic Uptown. 21 January 2005.

The Mosaic project over the Amtrak rail tracks.

Mosaic Downtown. 21 January 2005.

Construction of Mosaic in Hell's Kitchen. 24 March 2005.

Love this project. Covering the railroad lines with productive buildings is, in my mind, a pure public good.

Horrid view of that big white Verizon thang across the street, though ...

Default nice tread

The Mosaic project is between 10th and 11th avenues.

Mosaic Downtown, a 24-story tower, will rise midblock between 51st and 52nd streets. The other slightly larger 24-story building known as Mosaic Uptown will rise on 10th Avenue's western block-front from 52nd to 53rd street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	1637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	1638  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast