Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archstone Clinton - 515 West 52nd Street - Hell's Kitchen - by FX Fowle

In the second shot you can see a HUGE parking lot mid-block (10th / 11th / 53rd / 54th) -- is that Verizon property?

Any plans for that lot?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vc10
    Love this project. Covering the railroad lines with productive buildings is, in my mind, a pure public good.
    You seriously mean to tell me that the scene below isn't better for the community than some sunlight/view blocking, neighborhood-destroying condos? Btw, the scene at the Ratner Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn is very similar to this one too.

Default protected waterfront view

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    In the second shot you can see a HUGE parking lot mid-block (10th / 11th / 53rd / 54th) -- is that Verizon property?

Any plans for that lot?
    No plans that I know of: but look at the possibilities. The size of the lot - plus - great waterfront views. With a park to the west the views of the Hudson will never be blocked by new construction.

Yea -- something must be on "the boards" for that lot.

FYI -- I passed by there recently and it says AT&T next to the entrance (rather than Verizon)

Does raise a question: with new technology is there still a need for giant telephone switch buildings like this? Or do they simply get stuffed with routers for data traffic instead?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Horrid view of that big white Verizon thang across the street, though ...

Major progress is being made on the South building of this development. The North building is seeing some action as well but isn't quite as high yet. Looks like they are going to have amazing views of the river. The development is in the background of this picture, beyond The Link development in the foreground. Photo credit to Scruffy88 from The Link thread.

Last edited by Peteynyc1; June 22nd, 2006 at 03:25 PM.

^ Nice shot.

I have to walk around here one day and see this progress myself.

Went by there this afternoon...
    Downtown is looking good and windows are almost all the way up. Uptown is moving along as well but well behind the Downtown building. We need some pics if anyone is over there with a camera!

Default Is this an 80/20 building?

Anybody know if this is going to be an 80/20 building?

G.

Is this going to be a rental development??

I heard that both buildings are 80/20 rentals.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

To answer the last three posts: go back one page to post # 35 by Stern and you'll find the answers to your questions.

Architecturally - what do we all think of these new Mosaic Buildings.

I am torn.....I kind of like them, but I think New York deserves better (always)

^^^ That is an awesome shot! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Peakrate212 View Post

Architecturally - what do we all think of these new Mosaic Buildings.
    I took a walk around these this evening (on my way to see the fireworks at the Intrepid -- terrific show) ...

Per the MOSAIC BUILDINGS: Notice that you can find hardly one -- if any -- renderings of the west facades of either building. In reality both present big blank walls to the west at the base (the tower portions of each are somewhat set back from the western property line --- see attached map below for Mosaic South (South Tower) and Mosaic North (North Tower). You can see some of the parking lots that are scattered along these two blocks to the west.

So the views to the west (of the river and beyond) are probably somewhat shortlived -- and we have no idea what will go up between 11th Ave. / West Side Hiway in the years to come.

On the other hand the view to the east (NYC Skyline) from both MS and MN seem to be "what you see is what you'll get" -- plus the bonus [ ] of the future sights of the additional new towers that will be going up along 8th Avenue in the coming years. The community garden along 52nd St. just west of 10th Ave. and the group of 5-story buildings at the corner of 10th Ave. / 52nd St are all there to stay. The entire blockfront along 10th Ave. from 51st <> 52nd has been restored and / or new built and the blockfront across 10th Ave. looks settled in.

So it seems that the view won't be blocked for MS or MN looking east. Plus the school across 10th Ave from the MN is there to stay -- so this will offer terrific views from virtually every east facing unit there.

Then comes the question of the massive windowless AT&T building to the north across 53rd St. from MN. When you compare this one to the dull residential tower to the south of MS across 51st St. then IMO the sight of the AT&T wins hands down -- not only becasue the bulk of the tower is stepped back, but because the sheer brazenness of the black and white brickwork makes it something of a retro piece of urban sculpture. Yeah, yeah I know -- a couple of page back I said: "Horrid view of that big white Verizon thang across the street, though ..." -- theamazing thing is that these two new buildings actually make the AT&T building look better (I also see that there is a sidewalk sched around the AT&T building now, so maybe they'll spiff up the facade and it'll end up looking even more 1968).

I also like the big spaces that are being created in the lower rise wing on MN -- especailly the double height vertically-oriented windows at that corner.

Right now these 2 buildings seems like they're a bit out in the wilderness in terms of new buildings -- but with a new large site being developed at 51st / 11th Ave. it won't be long before other buildings go up to the west. And therefore it seems like buyers at MS / MN might be at the forefront for new developments in this area. Consider also the improvements going in along the waterfront (Pier 84 at 43rd St. is nearing completion and it's going to be fantastic, the Intredid pier and Passenger Terminal piers are also being upgraded) and it seems that these buildings are well situated (aside from the sorry state of public transportation in the area -- although it is a straight shot across to the C / E trains at 51st + 8th and the B / D trains at 53rd + Broadway).

Architecturally the MN seems to me to be the more interesting of the two buildings -- mainly due to the off-set angle at which they've placed the tower block. (But it remains to be seen how that metal-clad addition on the low-rise section at 10th / 53rd will turn out -- so I reserve judgment on that.)

If I were buying here: I'd go for a east facing unit -- preferably 18th floor or above -- in Mosaic North.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosaic_02a_Google Map.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	2516  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast