Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archstone Clinton - 515 West 52nd Street - Hell's Kitchen - by FX Fowle

You can see from the Zoning Map (attached below) that the area to the west of Mosaic North is Zoned M1-5.

Just to the west of Mosaic South that block is for the most part Zoned R-8, but at the blockfront along 11th Ave. this block is also Zoned M1-5.

Directly opposite MS + MN across 10th Ave. both blocks are zoned R-8.

Catty-corner across 10th Ave on the blocks between 53rd <> 56th is Zoned C6-2

The color coded map (attached) shows the various Zoning areas in the vicinity.
    MOSAIC is Zoned C6-3
    R-8 (Residential)
    M1-5 (Manufacturing)
    C6-2 (Commercial)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosaic_03a_Zoning.JPG 
Views:	416 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	2519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosaic_01a_Map.JPG 
Views:	401 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	2520  

Quote Originally Posted by lofter
    the sheer brazenness of the black and white brickwork makes it something of a retro piece of urban sculpture.
    I find Verizon pretty interesting too.

I took these 8-6-06

Looking at the second picture: Note that the "bump-out" on the southwest side of Mosaic South has small windows with lots of blank brick-covered space. The similar "bump-out" that can be seen on the southwest of Mosaic North is getting similar treatment.

Looking at the buildings last night it appears that both of these bump-outs are at lot-line on the west. Couple this with the huge expanses of nothing-but-brick on the low-rise west facing facades then this indicates to me that the developer is fully aware that something will be going up on the lots immediately to the west at some point in the future.

Right now the west facing views are probablly fantastic -- if you plan to sell within 5 years or less (before anything goes up to block those views) then a west-facing unit might be a terrific investment. But once those views are gone any of the west facing units will not have the same value.

You can also see in that second picture the large fugly brick building across 51st from Mosaic South -- visible mainly from the units on the southern end of the Mosaic South tower.

Hence my choice -- should I be contemplating a purchase here (which I'm not) -- to go with an east facing unit in Mosaic North.

During my walk last night I was also surprised how little inmpact either of these buildings have from street level once you move to 11th Ave.

For now they seem big in the context of the area. But even in relation to both the existing AT&T to the north and the brick res.tower to the south they don't register as much on the skyline.

They will proably be dwarfed (or at least further minimized) by future development, particularly to the west -- and possibly in the area zoned Commercial just to the northeast.

Right where that 2 story building stands in my pic is where Walentas hopes to change zoning and build up to 1,000 apartments.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=114817

If you don't mind, some quotes from that article you posted (evidencing another reason NOT to buy west-facing units at Mosaic) ...

Two Trees Management Co. has a contract to buy a vast Eleventh Avenue site where it hopes to build up to 1,000 apartments ...

Walentas will pay Verizon $130 million for most of the block on the east side of the avenue between 53rd and 54th streets.

... rezone the land from its current manufacturing-commercial designation to residential, which would enable him to build apartments as well as new stores, parking and community-use facilities.

... the Eleventh Avenue site is an unsightly blur of parking lots and a few 1-story buildings. Walentas is buying the whole block except for the old Verizon building at 811 Tenth Ave.

"Much of the land around it has already been rezoned but not this one," Walentas said. "We've already had informal talks with the City Planning Commission, Council Speaker Christine Quinn and Community Board 4."
    What Walentas can build will hinge on rezoning and negotiations with the city. It could be a mix of market-rate and affordable housing.
    The Walentas / Two Tree project will be HUGE -- and very well situated with the De Witt Clinton Park across 11th Avenue to the west ... see attached MAP below to show size / relation to Mosaic

Name:	Mosaic_04b_Walentas.JPG 
Views:	420 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	2537  

^ The Mosaic isn't bad, but count on Walentas to put up something great.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

There is an existing thread for the Walentas plan here.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Hence my choice -- should I be contemplating a purchase here (which I'm not) -- to go with an east facing unit in Mosaic North.
    Lofter oh wise one, isn't this a rental building for the most part?

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post
    Lofter oh wise one, isn't this a rental building for the most part?
    Good catch. You finally got him.

Another reason I'm not buying there

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

... the huge expanses of nothing-but-brick on the low-rise west facing facades then this indicates to me that the developer is fully aware that something will be going up on the lots immediately to the west at some point in the future.
    The gulty blank brick walls (and the parking lot / low rise buildings that might be the site of future tall neighbors) ...

Name:	1017061216.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	2685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1017061218.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	2686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1017061219.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	2687  

I don't like these towers at all. They look like boring hospital buildings instead of apartments. I guess they are rental and not condos. That can explain the lack of design I guess. Although they did a great job restoring that old building.

January 4, 2007:

The slice of blank wall in the middle there looks pretty bad.

Why's there a need to do that?

The tower portion looks like a preview of what the Caledonia going up near the High Line, will look like.

Not sure that I'm too crazy about the way this ^^^ sits on 10th Avenue, either.

However, once it is completed it might be less brutal

The open space at the south side of the south tower extends through the block (although it's not yet finished or open to pedestrians). That open space also extends across the street to the north towerwhere it links up to a drive-through area (the

The souther building is open, but the "slice" seen in the photos posted by antinimby above).

Some photos from this weekend ...

The block-thru passageway looking north from the south tower to the big white box ...

The entry to the south tower ...

The north tower from that entry ...

Between the two tower blocks ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast