Thread: M Zone in Manhattan is obsolete

Default M Zone in Manhattan is obsolete

The city needs to rezone the Manhattan M zoned areas to C. The concept of manufacturing it the Manhattan is totally out of date.

Everyone knows this, but NIMBYs fight to keep manufacturing designation, even when there is zero manufacturing going on, and zero prospects for future manufacturing.

They fight to keep it because they know it is an effective deterrent to some forms of development.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I'm not too sure about that. I think that the garment industry is considered Manufacturing and I for one support them being in Manhattan.

Besides, if they ever disappear due to economic forces (and not real estate pressure), they can always rezone it at a later time. It doesn't always have to happen now.

The garment industry is almost gone.

90% is overseas; the rest is moving to Sunset Park.

City Planning is actually currently rezoning much of the Garment District.

There are still plenty of specialty garment firms that caters to the fashion industry that has to be and should be in Manhattan.

As much of a disdain you may have for the older industries and buildings, they are an important part of the city's economy and prestige as a fashion capital.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Plus there is a sizable costume and props construction industry in Manhattan.

There is already a thread about re zoning the Garment District here

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I'm not too sure about that. I think that the garment industry is considered Manufacturing and I for one support them being in Manhattan.

Besides, if they ever disappear due to economic forces (and not real estate pressure), they can always rezone it at a later time. It doesn't always have to happen now.
    Other areas (other than garment) in Manhattan are zoned M.

If the city rezoned the area on Cannel Street and Broadway we would get rid of the blight that currently exists.

The M zones near Canal / Broadway aren't stopping anything worthwhile.

What good would a C zoning desigation bring? Glass towers are not needed in that area.

The best thing for the revitalization of the Canal Street corridor would be to addresss the Verrazano Bridge tolls, which since they are only payable going from east to west, cause an inordiniate amount of traffic to cross through Manhattan along Canal in order to avoid the Verrazano toll going from NY > NJ.

Luckily the north side of Canal near Broadway is mostly within the SoHo Historic District and the south side of Canal near Broadway is within the Tribeca District -- both of which are protected by Landmarks regulations.

Take a close look along Canal -- even with the current zoning designations there are quite a number of new buildings rising all along Canal from bridge to tunnel (Canal & Centre NE, Canal & Lafayette NW, Canal & Greene NW, Canal & Church SW, Canal & Sixth SW, Canal & Hudson NW, Canal & Watts SW, Canal & Rector NE, Canal & Washington SE). Not to mention renovations & restorations which are underway.

Blight? Are you kidding me?

That area has one of last remnants of any real culture left in Manhattan and the city for that matter and you're trying to wipe it all out in favor of more Chelsea-Sixth Ave. style chain-mania?

Those are the very few retail places left in this city that still doesn't look like just another part of suburban Indianapolis (even Indianapolis proper is probably less generic).
    Last edited by antinimby; April 19th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Real culture? Im with you in that i hate chain stores but the garment district is a horrible place to be at street level.

We are talking about Broadway and Canal, not the garment district.

The garment district discussion focused on protecting the garment industry not streetlevel stores. Let's not mix the two separate issues together.

Sorry thought we were still on the garment district, my mistake. In which case Im more in agreement with you there.

I am talking about Broadway south of 34th Street.