Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to live? - Possibly moving to NYC in a few years...

Default Where to live? - Possibly moving to NYC in a few years...

Hi there,

I flew for the first time last year, to the only place I wanted to go in the world: New York. *My girlfriend was brought up in Florida and had friends in the north-east. *We stayed over with them in Connecticut and New Jersey but NY was the place I was desperate to visit. *We were only there for five nights but took in so much of the atmosphere, tourist attractions, and less touristy areas by ourselves, and I loved every minute. *One year on, and I think about the visit every day, hoping to get back this summer.

I've since wondered about moving to America. *I live in Glasgow in Scotland and it has many of the characteristics of New York although it's quite different. *I'm just out of university, aged 21, and working in data entry in Rangers football club. *Not a great deal is keeping me here, but I'd obviously have to stay and save up a hell of a lot of money.

We stayed in Hotel Pennsylvania across from Madison Square Garden - an ideal location at a good price. *We took in as much as we could and visited a lot of different areas. *I liked the look and feel of Greenwich Village and Chelsea, but didn't have enough time to explore the whole place. *Where would you recommend for a small and relatively cheap apartment in a decent-enough area? *I'll take a place with squeaky floorboards, cockroaches, damp and no electricity if I have to!

Any recommendations will be muc appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Jonny

Default Where to live?

jonny try the alphabet (lower east side), or harlem

Default Where to live?

New York is a very big city, Jonny, and commuting to work or a place of study is a big issue. So, first, you have to know where are you going to work/study.

Second, it seems that "cheap apartment" has a different monetary value in Manhattan and in other parts of the world. You have to be more specific as to your budget.

Default Where to live?

That's fair enough! *Erm... hard to say what my budget will be in a couple of years time. *Right now I'm on a very basic wage (being just out of uni), which will be approximately equivalent to what your minimum wage is there. *Apartments that I have seen in NYC, in general, are pretty expensive compared to the ones here. *For example about $1,200 for some in NY and about half that for the same type in Glasgow.

The work that I would probably be engaged in is data entry or office work. *I'd ideally like to be involved in the music profession in some way by the time I move, but that's another issue. *Either way, the income I'll be generating will be relatively small (I'd imagine).

I'm qualified with an Information and Media degree and have worked in various positions since I was 14. *The type of work I do does not really bother me, as long as I can pay for an apartment, food and other necessities. *Therefore, the area I live in won't have to have be particularly dominated by one type of work (such as offices in lower Manhattan); rather, I'd find work in the area that I could do.

I hope some of that makes sense!

Jonny

Forum Veteran

Default Where to live?

Well, for $600-$800 per month, the pickings are very slim in Manhattan. *You'd have to go way north, maybe Harlem (if you're lucky), but probably to Washington Heights, etc. *There are, of course, many rent stabilized apartments, maybe someone could let you know how to snag on of those.

Of course, the outer boroughs of NYC are cheaper. *Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx all have dense urban parts and some less dense, more "suburban" areas. *All have subway and bus transportation, too. Staten Island may be the cheapest to rent, but you have to take a ferry to Manhattan (of course, if you live by the ferry, it's about 20 min, with a spectacular view and free ride, to downtown NYC).

Good luck. *Maybe when you're ready to move, you'll be making a bit more cash and could snag a place. *But there are choices for you. Have faith. Hey, there are still some low-rise condo developments in Queens where you could get a place for between $75-$100K. Not bad at all!

Default Where to live?

Thanks for the information, billyblancoNYC! *I've been thinking about what you wrote, and I wanted to ask what differences in prices are between Manhattan and neighbouring regions like Hoboken or Newark? *I don't know much about these areas - would you recommend them?

>There are, of course, many rent stabilized apartments,
    What are these? *(Please excuse my ignorance!)

Thanks again,

Jonny

Forum Veteran

Default Where to live?

I do not like Jersey very much, but I'll bite *my tongue. *From what I hear, though, Hoboken and Jersey City are pretty damn expensive as more people have moved there. *You are probably better off in some of the places I mentioned above. *I know of a handful of people that actually moved into downtown NYC b/c with the rents going down and the gov't incentives, it was cheaper than Hoboken!

Forum Veteran

Default Where to live?

Sorry...
    rent stabilized apartments are apartments when the rents are regulated by the state of city (not 100% sure). *For example, you could have an apartment on the Upper West Side for $1000 per month and next door, the same place, not stabilized could be double that. *It's a way to make NYC more affordable. *

There is a plan in the works to create about 65K units of housing that are either for low and/or middle income incomes. *Meaning, you have to prove how much money you make and the rents or purchase price are much lower than market rate. *It's a good thing for the city.

Default Where to live?

Cheers for the reply. *When I was staying over in New Jersey, I heard some talk about NYC and NJ not getting on for some reason. *Any truth in this? *From what I heard, it seemed like the (albeit in good spirits) divide between Scotland and England!

Jonny

Default Where to live?

That's interesting about the rent-stabilized idea. *I'll have to look into that more thoroughly - thanks.

The new lower-income housing sounds about right for me! *Do you know what area this is to be in? *The area I may live in is not that important to me at the moment. *I think I'll be in the city at the end of this summer for a visit, and I'll try to find out more about each area.

Thanks for the information again!

Jonny

Default Where to live?

The rift between NY and NJ is largely one-sided. Some New Yorkers just love to dump on it, but I like New Jersey. Certainly the entire state doesn't deserve such lambasting. My friends and siblings who live there live in some great towns, and yes, you can definitely find cheaper accomodations there than you find in the city. Plus it is as close or closer to midtown and downtown Manhattan than even Harlem. Hoboken and Jersey City are getting expensive, but for the most part it is cheaper than Manhattan, and in some places much cheaper. It's definitely worth looking into since these towns are directly linked by train and ferry service to NY. Weehawken and Edgewater have direct ferry service and are right next to Hoboken.

Default Where to live?

When I visited New York, I was quite unsure of the geography of neighbouring states. *I was surprised that New Jersey was so close to NYC itself. *I was there in August/September 2002 and to the left of the large neon Pepsi sign there was a 1/3 finished glass skyscraper being built on the waterfront. *I saw this on the Circle Line cruise and the captain said that was in Hoboken. *Is it really that close to Manhattan?

The transport from Newark to Penn Station, taxis and subways were easy to use, fast and pretty reasonably priced (although I hear that fares have gone up in the city). *Obviously that's going to be a major factor for me, depending on where I'll live in relation to work, but that side of things seems OK. *Living in somewhere like Hoboken (if I was right about the proximity to the city) would be no problem if the transport is as good as it was on my visit last year.

Default Where to live?

Transport from Hoboken is very easy - to midtown and (in November) downtown. It is still $1.50 on that PATH train. The city subway went up to $2. The skyscraper you saw was just south of Hoboken in Jersey City (and is nearly complete). Both towns are on the Hudson River, which is the boundary between NY and NJ. So yes, it is very close - 1 mile.

Default Where to live?

hey jonny, there's a program called Mitchell-Lama which is basically public housing that's sprinkled throughout the city instead of in our famous projects. *Here's a blurb and link:
    There are 135 City-sponsored, moderate- and middle-income rental and limited-equity cooperative developments in New York City which contain approximately 56,000 units, known as Mitchell-Lamas. HPD supervises waiting lists, management issues, and has other oversight responsibilities for 50 Mitchell-Lama developments; an additional 85 developments have shared supervision by HPD and the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (www.hud.gov).
    link

Default Where to live?

One of the problems with low-income housing is the wait. *Since there are obviously many more low income earners than low income apartments, there are waiting lists where people sign up years in advance for apartments that become available in the future. *I doubt that you'd be able to snag one all that easily. *In general, I'd recommend Brooklyn, since there it's fairly easy to find a decent place for $600-$800 per month. *Jersey City and Hoboken, I'm afraid, are out of your price range, as they are really only about 20-30% less expensive than Manhattan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast