Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in the Financial District.

Default Living in the Financial District.

I'll admit I don't know much about living in the financial district. I don't spend much time there other than to skyscraper gaze. I'm looking at an apartment there tommorrow on Wall Street and I'm wondering what it's like to actually live there. I know its quiet and the transportation is excellent which are both a big plus, but besides that how many restaurants are really down there that are open late? How many supermarkets are down there if any, I'm asking about C-Towns and Key Foods and Associated not just little bodegas?

As I said I'm looking at the place tommorrow so help is appreciated.

It is deeply in transition and alternately fascinating and infuriating.

While transportation is excellent during the week being at the nexus of most every subway line, the weekends are much more challenging with service adjustments. You know the drill...the MTA drips on you how long they will occur and just when you think your past it...more adjustments. Sprinkle (did I say "sprinkle?" I meant "drown") in week-enders and tourists who take over Lower Broadway and you get the idea...its freakin' crowded.

Forget the idea that it is quiet. A lot of buildings mean a lot of garbage trucks at night...narrow streets equal acoustical canyons. On Wall, be wary of Deutsche Bank and Cipriani...late night limos+narrow streets = out of control honking. And then there is the construction...trucks also like to go in reverse. Beep Beep Beep.

A major consideration are the windows...double check and make sure they are double paned...if so, you might be able to mitigate the noise issue. I don't, hence my problems.

I've posted before regarding 15 William construction and noise...feel free to re-visit.

Food shopping? FreshDirect, Jubilee on John, Zeytuna on John and....ooh, hold me back...a Gristede's coming on Maiden Lane. Oh, baby. And only one stop on the 2 or 3 to Brooklyn Heights for fresh bagels on Montague Street...and a Key Food. And drag your laundry to a fluff 'n fold if that's your taste, 'cause there ain't no laundromat down here. Or bodega's.

Fulton Street is due to be chopped up starting next month, but you should be far enough away so you don't hear it, but it will be messy.

On the plus side, history, history, history and walking distance to my favorite place in NY...the Bridge Cafe on Water and Dover.

My estimation? Another 2-3 years till it becomes whole again.

And that balances it out...

You've already seen this, but I think it's important for others who are considering living in the financial district:

New York Plans Surveillance Veil for Downtown

Summary of controversy:

Opponents: "Invades of privacy." "Look at what happened to London."

Proponents
    : "Safety overrides privacy concern." "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about."

With all those cameras about ^^^ will it make one more self-conscious when stepping out for the paper, milk, etc?

Or if you're cheating on your partner, or dating the 'wrong' gender, or dating more than one person...

Yeah, I second on the noise. I live on Fulton and it's loud at night. It's the loudest neighborhood in NYC I've lived in. Jubilee is open 24 hours, and there is also an Associated on Gold and Fulton. I rec. the area, it's not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoc View Post
    Yeah, I second on the noise. I live on Fulton and it's loud at night. It's the loudest neighborhood in NYC I've lived in. Jubilee is open 24 hours, and there is also an Associated on Gold and Fulton. I rec. the area, it's not that bad.
    You ready, Doc? Read below:

Quote: The city plans to expedite the curb-to-curb utility work by allowing crews to work double shifts, six days a week (weekdays 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.). Beginning in August 2007, Fulton Street will be closed to through traffic but remain accessible for deliveries, emergency vehicles, and pedestrians.

July 2, 2007 Reconstruction Planned for Fulton Street Corridor

Fulton Street utilities, streetscape, and open spaces work to begin It's one of Lower Manhattan busiest streets, and its traffic will only continue to grow as major rebuilding projects take shape on and around it. That's why the city is beginning a full capital reconstruction of Fulton Street this July, including improved utilities, streetscape elements, and open spaces.
    The project's first phase begins underground with utility upgrades along the "priority commercial corridor" from Church to Gold Street. On July 23rd, 2007, Judlau Contracting will excavate the roadway to replace Fulton Street's 150-year-old water main. New catch basins and sewer connections will help the street drain properly. Other utilities like electric, gas, and fiber-optic lines will be upgraded and replaced and old ducts removed, improving capacity for decades to come.
    The city plans to expedite the curb-to-curb utility work by allowing crews to work double shifts, six days a week (weekdays 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.). Beginning in August 2007, Fulton Street will be closed to through traffic but remain accessible for deliveries, emergency vehicles, and pedestrians. Late-night water shutoffs will be necessary at times, and always preceded by community notification.
    Through 2009, city crews will finish phase one with streetscape improvements such as new sidewalks, granite curbs, lighting, and street "furniture." City planners also may work with Fulton Street building owners to create more unified storefronts and façades on the corridor.
    The second phase of work, tentatively planned to start in 2010, would extend the reconstruction east of Gold and onto Nassau (from Fulton to Spruce Street). New streetscape work will also take place on ancillary streets, including Nassau (from Fulton to Maiden Lane), William, Gold, Cliff, Pearl, and John.
    Open spaces, too, will likely be revamped as part of the second phase. One proposal is to bring new trees and seating to the traffic triangle known as DeLury Square Park, located at Fulton and Gold Streets. The project also could improve the streetscape outside the Southbridge Towers on Fulton Street, between Gold and Pearl Streets.
    Open spaces, including DuLury Square, will likely be revamped Additional upgrades are on the table for Titanic Park (in the Seaport plaza), and the small Pearl Street playground, likely closing Little Pearl Street to create a pedestrian plaza. The plan to convert the parking lot at Burling Slip into a park also is part of the Fulton Street corridor project. Several city agencies, including the departments of City Planning, Design and Construction, and Transportation, are collaborating to get the Fulton Street project underway. The Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center is helping coordinate the work with private utility companies, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and others, as well as sharing information with Community Board 1, Alliance for Downtown New York, elected officials, area residents, and other stakeholders.

I'm moving to BK or Qns by Aug 15th. I wont have to deal with it too much!

City noise isn't a big issue with me, never has been, I usually sleep with my window open and I usually sleep with ear plugs not too far off just incase the noise becomes unbearable, but I like hearing sirens and garbage trucks and distant conversations, the place I'm looking at is on the 16th floor, although the canyons might not dissipate the noise all that much. What I wouldn't like is living above a noisy bar. What remains an issue is the restaurants and supermarkets, I like to eat alot, going out and cooking for myself. Gristede's on Maiden would be great although they are usually pretty expensive. I havent gotten much feedback in the way of downtown eating which is a concern because I eat out almost everyday. The checkbook will be in hand tomorrow but I have my concerns and might hold out for an apartment in the Upper East Side, Murray Hill, or the East Village.

On Stone Street there are a number of very good restaurants open late...Harry's, Ulysses, Adrienne's Pizza Bar, Smorgas. All fine choices. Also, just opened recently is 2 Gold, open 24 hours. Go to Financier, serving Illy coffee and french pastries...one on Stone and one on Pine and William and one in the Financial Center in Battery Park City. Haru will be opening in the Cocoa Exchange building at Wall, Beaver and Pearl soon.

Near the Brooklyn Bridge I mentioned Bridge Cafe....a few new ones have opened recently near the Seaport that appear to be busy...haven't tried them, yet. The Paris is...um...something else.

You are walking distance to Tribeca and all that...and a quick and easy trip to the West Village.

Like I said...the Financial District is in transition.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Hey Stern!

I work down in the Financial District a lot, and it feels a lot like Midtown to me, or to be fairer, Midtown five years ago if that helps.

Jubilee (99 John) is where 24-hour groceries come from, so swing by and check it out.

Also, here's my latest FiDi post:

http://www.frontporchllc.com/2007/06...-bar-downtown/

If that link is too long, just go to frontporchllc.com and search "financial" in the right-hand nav bar.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

I second Stone Street as a restaurant destination. I've had some great meals, especially outdoors during the summer, at some of the restaurants lining the pedestrian street.

This could make living downtown more interesting (the Maritime Building is next to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal) ...

The Economic Development Corporation selected the Dermot Company and restaurateurs the Poulakakos family to develop Lower Manhattan's historic Battery Maritime Building. The $110 million project will result in the creation of a food marketplace ...

No surprise here...Harry and Peter Poulakakos have been nonpareil in revitalizing the downtown area. Not a day goes by without seeing them walking the neighborhood and fawning over their properties and glad handing the neighbors. Glad to know more is on the way from this dynamic pair.

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/...kos_19898.aspx

Add the renovated Harry's and Two Gold to the list from this article from 2005

Thanks for all the feedback. I was very close to pulling the trigger so to speak. However I found a great Apartment in Murray Hill, and when I say great, I mean GREAT, its a huge studio right on Lexington Avenue in an elevator building for 1,100 a month. I might live in the financial district in the future especially since the lease here is only a sublet, but there was no way in hell I was passing up that deal!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast