Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Epic - 125 West 31st Street - Rental - by FX Fowle / SLCE

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Sorry for the bump, but I'm just so anxious about this one, my favorite residential (at least as it appears on paper) to go up in recent memory.
    Updates and photos, anyone?

I walked by the site last week -- if memory serves me well (questionable ) it's up to about floor 6.

Either Lofter's memory is a bit faulty, or he was viewing activity on the 31st St side (presumably further along).

From 32nd St

I hope that's not the buiding technique they're using for this tower.

^ That's the building technique they use for almost every residential tower in NYC.

Either Lofter's memory is a bit faulty, or he was viewing activity on the 31st St side (presumably further along).
    Correct I was walking along 31st Street and was really paying more attention to the church and how the new building is nestled up to it. The actual number of floors that I saw? No idea ... (brain like a sieve )

^^^ Gotta love that old bridge across 32nd Street

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    I hope that's not the buiding technique they're using for this tower.
    Is there another technique you had in mind? Please tell us.

Technique was a bad choice of words. Where's the crain?

I imagine the crane will be coming soon, but the part I photographed has risen to its full height of four floors. It might be that the crane was just out of sight from that angle, as the tower portion rises some 40-50 feet back from the 32nd street wall (even more from 31st), which brings up the fact that, at 60-70 feet in width, this will be one slender tower. Hopefully the finished product will do the renderings and elevations (see post #32) justice.

From the NYsun...

At the end of the year, about 90 households will get the opportunity to gain residence in the Sidney Fetner & Associates and Durst Organization mixed-use development on the block between West 31st and West 32nd streets and Sixth and Seventh avenues. The 60-story, 480 unit tower is adjacent to the Church of St. Francis of Assisi.

You know what I find puzzling? The Orion generated and is still generating a lot of excitement, particularly among our "fairweather" Orion forum friends.

But this building, which is essentially the same size, with a better design IMO and also in a better location (centrally located, more subway options, not to mention close proximity to Penn Station) and yet I don't sense as much interest. What gives? Is it the Church that's bothering people? The neigborhood? Cost? Marketing or lack thereof?

The Orion offers incredible views -- at least to the south and west. And it has a strong presence and can be seen from prominent locations (Times Square, West Side Hiway).

This one sits smack dab in the middle of an area that is building up all around. And the area will get even more tall buildings in the next ten years. So this one will be just another tree in the forest.

This "new" upper Chelsea area has very little feeling of a neighborhood -- just a bunch of non-descript apartments on top of Duane Reade, tanning salons, banks & Starbucks. Like a big strip mall. (Odd how 6th Ave. above 23rd St. had a much stronger sense of place when it was lined with parking lots and great flea markets.)

Default 135 west 31st

Is this going to be a rental or cond building?

Banned Member

I think the building has just has taken excessively long, for whatever reason, to rise out of the ground. Orion did a great job hailing its own arrival, but I do not find its location any better than this one.

Forum members know what's coming. The other 99.999% of New Yorkers do not. Once the building starts popping its head up on the skyline, I think it will take off. The advantage the Orion has is that it is amongst the tallest buildings in its area - giving it a huge presence. This building, llike 325 Fifth and the other new tower on West 31st suffer from the massive size of the ESB being so close by. To live in its shadow, to me, would be awesome. But, ultimately, you are living in 50 or 60 story tower than looks puny by comparison.

Developers have to be seeing how insignificant even the most breathtaking buildings can be when juxtaposed with the ESB. The additon of a couple of 1000 footers would greatly alleviate the sense that these 600 foot buildings are lap dogs to the ESB.

I think it's good for the empire state building to have neighbors finally, even if they are half the height, like this one. I absolutely Love the design of this building by the way! Where exactly will it be, does anyone have a rendering of it's proximity to the ESB?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast