Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn waterfront development

Forum Veteran

Definitely not a fan...

Banned Member

On the one hand, I want to see a radical rise in the Brooklyn Skyline to compete with Jersey City. On the other hand, the buildings make a seemingly sensible transition from low rise Dumbo toward Downtown.

I agree it is uninspired architecture, certainly not the grand "citylights" design we had be seeing in previous posts.

Forum Veteran

It has the feeling of a wall on both sides.

Forum Veteran

At last, 100 Jay Street is found on The Hudson Companies' site as the J Condo:

Rising 33 stories with terrific panoramic views, J Condo will be a luxury residential condominium with ground floor retail space and a parking garage. As the tallest building in Dumbo, J Condo will add an easily recognizable icon to the Brooklyn skyline with its dramatic curved, sail-like façade of floor to ceiling windows viewable from the Manhattan Bridge, East River and Manhattan.

J Condo will offer 267 studio to three-bedroom apartments with luxury finishes, services and views not previously available in a new condominium building in Dumbo or downtown Brooklyn.

http://www.hudsoninc.com/apt4sale/jcondo/index.htm

Forum Veteran

Is this what became of the Light Bridges development in DUMBO? It's nice, just not particularly inspirational.

Forum Veteran

Yup, site of Light Bridges. I find the design to be lacking in its lower third. Really dull. The setup there is similar to Gruzen Samton's Tribeca Pointe.

Unsure if right thread...

Jehovah's Witnesses Win Approval For Residential Towers

NY1

DECEMBER 05TH, 2004

Construction has reportedly been approved for a massive residential complex along the Brooklyn waterfront for Jehovah's Witnesses.

The Watchtower Society's three-acre parking lot at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge will be turned into a giant housing complex for nearly 2,000 members.

Neighbors complained that the four tower complex would be too big for the area. The tallest tower is expected to be 20 stories high. Critics also said the project would ruin DUMBO's charm and sense of character.

But, according to the New York Post, City Council's Zoning Subcommittee has cleared the way for construction begin next year.

IMO, Id prefer to see residential towers opposed to a 3 acre parking lot.

Forum Veteran

I'd rather see the parking lot for a year or two more.

The Watchtower Society has deadened much of the Brooklyn waterfront already. With this development, they will be taking a prime site in DUMBO and building a non-contributor. The only thing thing 85 Jay Street will add to the neighborhood is shadows, which I'm not usually against, but the proposed architecture is not exactly enthralling.

I also don't understand the no retail argument - why not let another company build and run the retail space?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    I also don't understand the no retail argument - why not let another company build and run the retail space?
    Thats the part I dont like. It needs retail.

Forum Veteran

I guess that it's the belief of Jehovah's Witnesses that they can't live in the same building as a business.

Forum Veteran

Well, it's some development of a parking lot, and it should free up a number of other properties in DUMBO and BK HTS. They've also sold (or are about to) that massive site on the water. This will be condos and part of BK Bridge Park, so they're not all bad.

Forum Veteran

The image of 100 Jay Street changed on THC's site -

Now I really don't like it. It looks like they're using the slight "differentness" of the glass protrusions to take the eye away from the bland lower floors. GS did the same thing with Tribeca Pointe.

I'm surprised the community hasn't flipped about this yet. Check out this article. Nothing new here, just people trying to preserve their views in the name of community activism.

http://gothamgazette.com/community/33/news/959

Groups seek to downzone DUMBO
    by Jess Wisloski
    November 27, 2004
    The Brooklyn Papers

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast