Page 10 of 216 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times Tower - 620 Eighth Avenue @ W. 41st Street - by Renzo Piano

Well sayonara fugly parking station and the peek-a-boo shows that occupy the site. However, are any major art-deco buildings going down under the 'wrecker's ball' so-to-speak for the tower?

There's absolutely nothing of any architectural merit being torn down for the new tower. Its a pretty crappy block all in all.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    There's absolutely nothing of any architectural merit being torn down for the new tower. Its a pretty crappy block all in all.
    True, but I think the 60 Minutes spot was a real eye opener. Despite my desire to see new interesting architecture go up, I am appalled at the use of emminent domain to do it. It's abuse of power.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    True, but I think the 60 Minutes spot was a real eye opener. Despite my desire to see new interesting architecture go up, I am appalled at the use of emminent domain to do it. It's abuse of power.
    I agree. I saw the 60 Minutes piece and was appalled myself. The old Renaissance catherdrals in the denser Italian cities were built at the expense of private owners, but that was for the public good. This was the intention of eminent domain. But when it is used to further private interests I do not care what the result.

I think we all agree that this building is not in the 'public interest'. Still, it'll keep the Times in New York (unlike the Wall Street Journal) and further develop the Times Square area

The focus was on Ohio and their mayor was a witch.

The area encompassing Times Square was blighted, does anyone need to be reminded of the prostitutes, pimps, peep shows, and the other unsavory social aspects of 1970's New York City. Time Square redevelopment was extended far beyond Brodway and includes the land where NYTIMES will now rise. If it wasnt for NYTIMES someone else would build there anyways.

It is important that this entire district is extended to the PABT. A few legit. buisnesses, a parking lot, and adult shops in the way of progress, and this is an important final step in the entire TXSQ transformation.

Forum Veteran

Since Forest City cant get a tenant for the upper portion of the building and the city wont give this project any Liberty Bonds, i would not expect to see this built anytime soon. I talked to a friend that works for the Architect of this building, they may start demoltion but not construction soon

They've just given BofA liberty bonds, do you think maybe they'll now give liberty bonds to this construction project?

That would be fair.

Forum Veteran

the head of the IDA at yesterday's BOA meeting said no way that the Times would get the funding. They have already been given massive subsidies and tax breaks and unlike most office developments, the state will turn over the land to Forest city in 10 years and they dont have to pay other taxes on it then.

Wow, thats amazing that they're gonna have it tax free in 10 years. But do you think with NYTT never paying tax and the UN never paying tax that eventually this will badly impact NYCs economy? I mean if every gets a tax free deal then pretty soon what taxes will they be collecting?

That's right.
    But the top priority is not taxes but jobs. That's what NYC needs right now.

You're right. I forgot about that. More jobs in NYC would mean more people moving in... then more taxes from residential buildings. Not to mention the taxes on the lunch they eat while working, the transportatoin they pay for (trains, etc.) The jobs will also have the salaries taxed. And it will bring more people into the city. It seems I overlooked something that important. Thanks for reminding me Fabb . Now I'm going to ponder why I forgot something so basic .

I hate it when I make people ponder over themselves.
    Please Freedom Tower, don't do it !

I'm sorry Fabb I believe I've already done the pondering ops:. But I'm sure you'll be relieved that I at least came up with no reason for my mistake... so the pondering was useless anyway. I shall never ponder about myself again