Page 100 of 216 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 3238

Thread: New York Times Tower - 620 Eighth Avenue @ W. 41st Street - by Renzo Piano

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Coleridge
    Hong Kong's skyline looks more attractive at night. New York's is so damn boring, bunch of old buildings at almost the same height.

With all do respect, that picture shows like what... 1/100th of the entire skyline?

if 200 buildings over 500 feet is not impressive to you than I'm sorry.

Besides, Hong Kong is a bit of flash in the front row hiding some of the ugliest apartment towers I have ever seen. The mountains are a sight to behold, however!

With the power of paint I added the remaining 4 structural floors and the glass screens. How accurate do you think it looks?

This will do for the west side skyline (Viewed from Jersey) what Bloomberg did for the east side skyline (Viewed from Queens). Add SOME height, but there could/should have been more.

All in all, this is a great new building for the city.

Hehe, I love paint. It's one of about three things I still use my 5-yo PC for.

Hong Kong's skyline looks more attractive at night. New York's is so damn boring, bunch of old buildings at almost the same height.
    Old buildings are irreplacable, and NY is the only city in the world that has scores of them.

I think you're wrong about New York's skyline being boring, but I agree with you that it could be more interesting at night.

Hong Kong achieved its night time beauty by enacting an ordinance that required most skyscrapers facing the harbor to be lit up at night.

I don't know if something is feasible here, but there are a number of buildings I'd love to see better lit at night.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    Hong Kong achieved its night time beauty by enacting an ordinance that required most skyscrapers facing the harbor to be lit up at night.

I don't know if something is feasible here, but there are a number of buildings I'd love to see better lit at night.
    I often wondered why is it that other cities can command a little more aesthetic value for scrapers and NYC doensn't. In NYC they just let developers ruin the skyline by building giant banal flat topped boxes.
    Last edited by TREPYE; June 6th, 2006 at 01:17 PM.

Hong Kong is 90% bland residential blocks. Victoria Harbour is the only thing worth anything, and its not even that big, and every night its a blinding, tacky light show. I like Manhattan at night.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    With the power of paint I added the remaining 4 structural floors and the glass screens. How accurate do you think it looks?
    From another pic I saw, I counted the number of X's up so far, and I think there's only two floors left, meaning just one X left to go.

Forum Veteran

Ratner buys out partner in Times building
    June 7, 8:31 am-therealdeal.net

Ratner consolidates at new Times HQ Forest City Ratner has acquired ING Real Estate's interest in the New York Times headquarters going up on Eighth Avenue near the Port Authority. The two firms had been partners with the New York Times Company. The 52-story tower is expected to open next spring. more [GlobeSt]

According to the NY Times article on June 4, 2006 about "starquitects," the glass crown and rooftop garden on the NY Times Tower were eliminated to constrain costs. I really hope that this is wrong, and the crown remains.

I hope not. The glass curtain is what will push this building above the plateau. It would be disastrous if they dropped it.

Yeah, I posted the blurb about this tower in post #1500, at the bottom of page 100. This is the quote:

"But Mr. Piano has lost crucial battles along the way. To cut costs Mr. Ratner had him eliminate an elegant rooftop garden that would have been framed by extensions of the building's glass curtain wall."

While it's clear that the garden/vegetation part is nixed, the part I italicized leaves it a bit ambiguous as to whether the extensions are still on the table or not. Keep yer fingers crossed.

I hope not. The top makes the building look really nice. Without it, the building won't look too good with just an antena at the top

I agree.