Page 17 of 216 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times Tower - 620 Eighth Avenue @ W. 41st Street - by Renzo Piano

Forum Veteran

Not everything old is worth saving.

I would have to agree with TLOZ on the demolition of the dingy old building. I noticed the new Westin in one of NYguy's pictures and wondered if the two cites are adjacent? That would look cool after the tower is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaro
    I would have to agree with TLOZ on the demolition of the dingy old building. I noticed the new Westin in one of NYguy's pictures and wondered if the two cites are adjacent? That would look cool after the tower is built.
    There's actually an empty lot (42nd - 41st) for another planned tower in between the Westin (43rd - 42nd) and Times Tower (41st - 40th)...

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Not everything old is worth saving.
    Ain't that the truth. Although I usually phrase it "just because its old doesn't mean its any good".

Have we finally achieved the right balance between "tear it down, it's old", and "don't tear it down, it's old"?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    Have we finally achieved the right balance between "tear it down, it's old", and "don't tear it down, it's old"?
    I think so, considering I'm still p*ssed off about the demolition of Penn Station (even though I wasn't even born when it was torn down).

I think a lot of it has to do with what goes up after the old building is demolished. In the case of Penn Station, the intolerable ugliness of what went up there after '63 is what makes that case so bitter. You don't hear too many people lamenting the loss of the old Waldorf Astoria at 34th and 5th, and the old Hayden Planetarium is fading into memory; Within a generation it will be an obscure footnote.

So heritage issues in regard to older buildings are pretty universal and are worthwhile of healthy debate.

Not meaning to 'Sydneyfy' the thread, however I feel it is relevant.

I'm sure Piano had Sydney's Aurora Place Tower on his resume to assit him in obtaining The NY Times Tower approval for development (as Aurora Tower is pretty highly respected in Australia and international architectural circles alike, as is R. Piano himself)

The same or similar white laminated glass that graces Aurora Place Tower from bottom to top will possibly clad The NY Times Tower as such.

The huge translucent fin, simliar that will fold over and enclose The NY Times Tower on all 4 sides of its crown - (different shaping of course):

I'm sure when the NY Times Tower is completed (aniticipated completion from the mid-end part of 2007), its crown should eventually illuminate as brightly as Aurora Place Tower:

I like that building, but NY Times Tower will be better :wink: (did that face work?)

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    Haha. :lol: I was thinking that. Some people want everything old torn down for the new. Others want to preserve everything old and stop the new (often times the NIMBYs). On this forum it is the perfect balance! It isn't judged on old or new but the quality. If the old building is nothing compared to the new one. As in this case NYTT is much better than that building, even though it's not so bad. Then we agree to tear it down. If an old building is already gone but the new won't be as nice (As in the WTC???) the forum complains. This forum should be the city planning council :lol: :wink:

An attempt at showing the NY Times Tower in a shot with the BoA rendering.

Fantastic work! Thank you very much.

Very nicely done once again, Just Rich. 8)

May they both rise!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaro
    I like that building, but NY Times Tower will be better :wink: (did that face work?)
    Pilaro, that wasn't the point of my posting of Sydney's Aurora Tower (see previous page of this thread). It was to give an idea of how The N.Y. Times Tower HQ may end up in its final construction esp. with the white laminated glass and the different shaped enclosers which seem to be in vogue with many towers enclosing their crowns across the U.S., in different laminated glass or other glass materials. ...and yes Pilaro, the :wink: face worked.

BTW I'm just a dumb Sydney-sider, like derrr.... However I have done numerous searches over the last hour to find out what the proposed BoA rendering that was done by Just Rich in his New York skyline rendering, along with the NY Times Tower.

My question is what does BoA stand for?

Thanking you all in advance,

JonY