Page 20 of 216 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times Tower - 620 Eighth Avenue @ W. 41st Street - by Renzo Piano

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    It looks like the glass must go higher than 748' if the top of the pole is 1140'.
    I think its around 840 ft...

1140'...technically the second tallest in NYC.

The top 300 feet of NYT will likely consist of either a solid spire or one that "sways in the wind" :lol: Sorry about the crackup but IMO a TV antenna would be better than a fragile spire. Anyway I'm glad that it's 52 floors and not 32.

Forum Veteran

An antenna would be pretty redundant given the fact that there are now two notable antennas in the immediate area and one more on the way. I wonder what watching the "swaying" spire would be like...

The building definitely appears taller than the 750 feet figure set forth on Piano's site. I tend to think that that figure refers to the height of the highest occupied floor, and that the crown (not including the antenna) reaches 850 feet.

from the article above:
    he building was designed by architect Renzo Piano, well-known for his design of the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris
    Wasn't the Centre Pompidou designed by Richard Rogers... not Piano? Why would they even think it was a Piano building...?

Journalists have wild imaginations.

Wasn't the Centre Pompidou designed by Richard Rogers... not Piano? Why would they even think it was a Piano building..

they worked together for that project

Quote Originally Posted by alejo
    Wasn't the Centre Pompidou designed by Richard Rogers... not Piano? Why would they even think it was a Piano building..

they worked together for that project
    I think that it was a joint effort. Also, Pompidou has the Rogers trademark of mechanicals outside a la Lloyd's!

6-12-04.....Almost nothing left

They havent started digging yet....

Personally in my own opinion this one of the best modern buildings that is going to stand out. Iím guessing that it's going to be remembered just like the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, and GE Building which where the three great giants in New York during the early 20th century.

After Thought: Think about New Yorkers wouldn't have a choice because it stands out interms of Architectural esthetics and height. I give kudos to Renzo Piano and Fox and Fowl.

Banned Member

I think it would have to be taller and more distinct from a distance to be added to the Pantheon of skyline giants. The spire "thing" significantly adds to the height and to me is kind of ridiculous looking.

I think its in the league with the Citicorp Center, Trump World Tower, and Bloomberg Tower.

I think it's a league above the MetLife and Conde Nast Building's.

The site of New York Times Tower. 26 June 2004.