Page 28 of 216 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times Tower - 620 Eighth Avenue @ W. 41st Street - by Renzo Piano

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    That's the good news! Once we see those cranes rising in the sky, its only a matter of time.
    Maybe some of you structural engineers can chime in here, Ninjahege?

But while I'm fairly certain they are crane footings, do they serve a double purpose and hold a structural value? I'm thinking there something like Kangaroo crane's and will rise above these steel footings and the structure will connect to the steel footings?

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Maybe some of you structural engineers can chime in here, Ninjahege?

But while I'm fairly certain they are crane footings, do they serve a double purpose and hold a structural value? I'm thinking there something like Kangaroo crane's and will rise above these steel footings and the structure will connect to the steel footings?

Either way, I didn't expect to see them for another few months. Any construction activity visible from street level is very exciting, I've waited a long time to see this tower rise - from demolition to excavation. Now we have arrived!

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phentente
    I didn't think there were serious differences in the depth of the bedrock over so little area in Manhattan, but I guess we learn a little about geology every day.
    Just thinking out loud here...

NYTT on Eighth Avenue has only the IND Lines running below. BoA sits atop a conglomeration of Times Square Shuttle, IND and the 7 Train (which is embedded extremely deep.) Also, there used to be a street-wide pedestrian tunnel that ran from the Greeley Square Station to 42nd Street under Sixth Ave. BoA does abut the IND and had two station entrances on the SE and NE corners of the project site. There is very intricate reinforcement that must be put in place when working near just one subway line. Tishman has one subway tunnel running north / south on one end of the project site and two running east / west. Tishman built Conde Nast. It also built Reuters and was CM on renovations for the Verizon Building on the SW corner of 42nd Street. They know the area, probably better than anyone.

Although we might be wondering why they are not proceeding apace, same or close "start dates" do not implicitly mean same "completion dates." I don't doubt there are or might be geological differences across Manhattan, but I am pretty confident that Tishman is not being stymied by "surprises in geology" and that they are on or close to schedule.

APRIL 23, 2005

We now summon forth the New York Times tower. Rise up, and take your rightful place on the skyline.

Forum Veteran

That's a yay. Very exciting.

woooooooo!

*orgasms*

Has anyone noticed that these two towers will account for 4 million sq ft of new office space? That's 20,000 new workers (figuring the 200sq ft per worker stat)!

I think it's great when NY can put up 2 buildings and increase it's office space by 1%. That doesn't even count Time Warner Center and the Bloomie tower. Could we be on the verge of another office boom?

Forum Veteran

Luverly, very luverly... I loves me some braced core.

Thanks for the update pics!

I am so happy... Happy , Joy, Joy....

I'm a little extra excited about this tower, and will watch every move. Must be becaue of the long wait. Now I'm just ready for that Bank of America tower to start rising. I think the two go hand in hand the way the Gehry and Calatrava towers will Downtown.

I can't wait to see this and the Bank of America tower go up all at once. Very exciting.

Now if the Milsteins could just get their act together and fill in the empty lot to the north of Times site, everything would be set.

The site of New York Times Tower. 23 April 2005.

This may be a obvious obwervation but the webcam on esb website will be great for watching progress of this building

THE CRANES ARE UP :hug: April 28 2005

latest look at the construction site...this summer is gonna be HOT !!