Page 74 of 216 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 3238

Thread: New York Times Tower - 620 Eighth Avenue @ W. 41st Street - by Renzo Piano

sfenn: good shots.

gives new meaning to the status of a corner office, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    I walked by the Morgan today -- looking at the 5th Ave. facade from directly across the street I gotta admit it looks like the box the Hulk came in.

However, from every other angle -- other than direct on -- it looks good.

Maybe when they plant the trees as are shown in the renderings ...
    While I am a convert to the NYT, I still don't like the Morgan. It deserved something much better.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Those four floors at the bottom of the building, to the right of the X braces, look so well done in that angle. I think this building will look sleek. Residential developers take note: that is how you want floorplates to look.
    Bear in mind though the the X's look best in the northwest and southwest corners because the glass in those sections is clear. In the northeast and southeast corners, it's smoky and does not look as good.

Do you see the difference in the following photo?

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...5&d=1141055856

Someone questioned earlier whether the designers had thought of ice and snow formation on the rods. This from the Metropolis article linked earlier: (http://www.metropolismag.com/html/co...nyt/index.html)

"Countless studies have been completed, even an extensive one on ice and snow formation on the ceramic rods."

The article goes on to call the building possibly "the most analyzed, tested, and studied building scheme in the country."

I think it's great that the designers and owners had the foresight to do all this before the building was built. The usual practice is to experiment on the tenants and the public, with (at best) lessons being applied to the next building.

Walked by the building today and a couple of observations

-The building looks way better in person than in the pictures
    -The rods do look white and really good
    -The clear glass withought those blinds plays off the rods better than the smokey look of the glass with the blinds

-One really big point is that they are going to have to repaint the steel b/c they did a really terrible job on some of it. You can see the dark of the steel coming through the whitish / gray color they painted on.

-Also I think this building is going to weather terribly b/c of all the exposed steel. It will take a lot of maintenance and it will be hard with all those rods and small spaces to work in.

It is going to look tall and commanding because there is nothing really around it.

btw. Hearst looks fat and awkward looking up 8th. but I like that building regardless.

Default Genry is not an architect

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Walk by it and see it in person. It looks horrible at this stage, and it looks NOTHING like the renderings. When a 750 foot curtain of steel rods has fully risen, it will look horrific. Gehry must be laughing hard.

Piano really should be banned from NY. I hope that the Whitney -- seeing this disaster -- comes to their senses and fires him before he defiles the Upper East Side with his ridiculous 20 story, windowless, metal box.
    Gehry is an overrated skin obsessed sculptor. All surface, no scale, no space.

The NY Times Tower will be a great building, especially when it's lit up at night.

BTW, Im not happy with the Morgan addition.

I've really come to like the NYT from when I initially wrote that. As I mentioned recently, it's really unique and reminds me of Lloyd's or the Pompideau Centre.

I'm already getting ready for a dissapointment. Here's my logic...

NYT promised a glowing, entirely lit tower that eminated light into the sky....yet they are implementing energy saving devices all over this building, in fact the whole building is designeded as energo-efficient. I hardly think that a company so concerned with lighting costs will light this thing at night.

Just as every building in NYC, they all promise lit spires and changing colors a-la-Empire State, and nobody goes through with it.

In addition crowns and spires are most often the components that are where builders look to save costs as teh building's price tag runs over.

Thumbs up

Great pics. I have to admit I really like the way this building looks from the outside.

Saw it in person again. It will be exquisite, I am now convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Saw it in person again. It will be exquisite, I am now convinced.
    I agree.

This angle shows its delicious, Maria Sharapova quality:

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/t.../03/440189.jpg

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Does anyone else notice the column that's to the left of these guys, don't look like it's exactly straight? Which leads me to ask, do construction work get inspected for quality or workmanship?

It seems that it looks crooked due to the uneven coating of fireproofing material that has been sprayed onto the column. If you look at the close-up (below) you can see it more clearly -- and that the straps from the safety lines apparently have cut into the fire-proofing and knocked some of it off.

Also interesting is the reflection of the one workers head in the steel hat of the other ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060304_Column_Close Up_03.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	1581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060304_CU_01a.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	1582  

An even closer look ... who is that reflected in the hat???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060304_CU_01c.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	1583