Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Times Square a.k.a. Conde Nast Building - 42nd Street & Broadway - by Fox & Fowle

OK, not so good picture

chris

Talking Progress is slow

This is the link to the new photo (early 7 March,05) of the sign being installed on the Conde Nast building. Sorry I need to give the link, however, I'm not sure how to place the photo in this post.

http://www.lumacom.com.au/images/4TS...s%20070305.JPG

Approx. 9 full installation days to go to complete the panel installation, so end of March a small possibility still
    Last edited by salty; March 9th, 2005 at 10:05 AM.

Not exactly 'in a New York minute' is it? Thanks for the link, Salty. I think you'll need the patience of Job. May the end product be worthy of your perseverance.

Default Getting close

A new pic of progress of installation of The Lion on Conde Nast building as of Tuesday morning. End of next week should see the completion of installation of the panels. Then the electrics are to be completed

http://www.lumacom.com.au/images/4TS...ion%20King.jpg

11th Ave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conde_60.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conde_61.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	745  

Banned Member

The lower portion of Lumacon was lit last night. Only test patterns.

Default Thanx for the updates guys

After people have been in the dark for about 2 years regarding this sign, it all seems to be coming together quite quickly now. The identical signs which have just been commissioned in Turkey look great.
    Would someone mind sending me an email (salty@iinet.net.au) or giving me instructions, or an URL as to how to post pics in here please? In the meantime, I'll post the links to the new photos as they arrive.

http://www.lumacom.com.au/images/4TS...rch%202005.jpg

http://www.lumacom.com.au/images/4TS...rch%202005.jpg

Any first impressions of the video graphics? Reasonably clear and everything looked liked it work on the bottom half?

Lumacom have still got the rights to the other 3 sides if they can find advertisers upfront. How visible are the other 3 sign platforms on the CN building? Is the West side the most visible out of the 4?

Thanx again to the New Yorkers for helping to keep the Aussies informed regarding this project.
    Last edited by salty; March 17th, 2005 at 10:58 AM.

Default just the lion head? or does this sign do anything?

So, is this to be a lit-up, but stationary image, or a moving, changing LED display? I hope the latter. I tried to go back in the thread a bit, but found no clarification. Sorry if I'm missing something.

Thumbs up Yes - static by day, video by night

The attraction of these signs is that they only use about 10% of the normal amount of pixels, therefore using a significant amount less electricity and manufacturing costs are estimated to be less than 50% of a normal LED video screen. The signs at night appear like any other LED sign - the brain fills the gaps. Durst was attracted to these signs because of the energy efficiency of the signs which was one of the major things they were trying to achieve when designing their building. Also, unlike most LED signs, this sign doesn't need complex cooling fans or air conditioning systems

Here is a link to see a Lumapanel up close for the 4TS project.

http://www.lumacom.com.au/images/4TS...%202-16-05.JPG

Suggest you go to the Lumacom home page (www.lumacom.com.au) if you wish to see videos of currently installed signs in Perth and Istanbul or want to know more. There is also a portfolio of photos which have been taken while the installation has been occuring in NY.

Disney are supplying the night time video graphics for the sign.
    Last edited by salty; March 17th, 2005 at 11:42 AM.

Banned Member

It was test patterns scrolling from right to left along the bottom, but over the image of the lion king (and, no, it was not the Reuters scroll I was seeing). It looked green, blue red, white. Sporadic words mostly test patterns.

After looking a the picture of one of the panels in the post above, I'm pretty certain it is exactly what I saw. What I don't understand were the previous statements about the clarity of the picture we would get up there. It doesn't appear to have that high level of resolution.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; March 17th, 2005 at 11:55 AM.

Lumacom have still got the rights to the other 3 sides if they can find advertisers upfront. How visible are the other 3 sign platforms on the CN building? Is the West side the most visible out of the 4?
    The west side along with the south side is the most visible. I would think in a couple of years the east side will become worthless.

Default Thanks Salty- great link

Thank you for the info on the light panels. The installation in Turkey looks amazing. I am really excited about this, and it will be some spice on the skyline.

Soon OLED will be on the scene, I hope.- organic light emitting diodes. deep, bright color at a fraction of the energy with the possibility of application to translucent and flexible materials. The prototypes are small, but one day.....

Default 4TS screen starting to come to life at night

The following link shows the first image of testing the bottom 3 rows on 17th March2005, of the LED video screen..
    http://www.lumacom.com.au/images/4TS...-17-05%20B.JPG

Default Conde Nast

Sign must be close to completion by now. It will be interesting to see the sign switched on when I'll come to NY for the Easter holyday.I am also looking forward to seeing new Broadway production The Lion King.

Banned Member

The Lion King Logo image is only 2/3 complete. It will likely go through a couple of weeks of testing before it is lit.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast