Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 383 Madison Avenue - former Bear Stearns Building - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

It really is a gorgeous building.

Forum Veteran

I wish Bear Stearns had a better location, it's a shame it can't be seen from a lot of places.

To me the skyline of new york is a composition that has to be carefully plotted so that things fit and look even better. I think that it is located in a great place.

Take another look at Bear Stearns...this building is simply gorgeous. The curtain wall is outstanding. The massing of the building echoes the art-deco sensibilities of the 1920s and 30s. It plays perfectly off the nearby Pan Am (er..."Met Life") building. Had this building been built another 40 stories higher or so, you'd have your new Empire State Building.

Best view of Bear Stearns is from Top of the Rock.
    Last edited by Bob; October 29th, 2006 at 08:06 AM. Reason: missed a word on original posting

I was admiring this building from a window at the Helmsley yesterday. I believe it to be the most beautiful office building put up in this City since the Modernists came to town. I wish I had seen it lit up.

What's in the middle part of this tower, just above the base? There are no lights on inside.

This building is so good looking Skidmore should have used it as the basis of the Freedom Tower design. Better than what we'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by emmeka View Post
    It really is a gorgeous building.
    I agree. This and the TWC are two of my favorite new buildings anywhere in the US. David Childs isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    This building is so good looking Skidmore should have used it as the basis of the Freedom Tower design. Better than what we'll get.
    Yep. Its hard to believe that this is SOM work. It actually invokes a little bit of imagination and originality.
    Last edited by TREPYE; October 29th, 2006 at 10:13 PM.

I'm a sucker for postmodern and a great cap. I love this building. Just wish it had been a bit fatter and taller.

The Dude Abides

I used to think this building was underrated, but apparently, everyone likes it. It's always been one of my favorites. Too bad this forum wasn't around when it was first designed/constructed. Probably would have gotten a lot more coverage.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macreator View Post
    I'm a sucker for postmodern and a great cap. I love this building. Just wish it had been a bit fatter and taller.
    Taller yes, but certainly not fatter.

The tower portion seems well enough, however, that square-ish base is just too bland.
    As far as SOM work, I'd still take One Worldwide Plaza over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    I used to think this building was underrated, but apparently, everyone likes it. It's always been one of my favorites. Too bad this forum wasn't around when it was first designed/constructed. Probably would have gotten a lot more coverage.
    The forum was around for later parts of its construction and SkyscraperPage covered it from the get-go. The threads were all deleted though.

When did this forum start?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast